BirdWoman

video conversion help

Hey all-

I'm trying to help a friend with a video conversion problem he's having. He's trying to convert his tandem video so he can put it up on some website and he's having difficulty doing it. I do all my editing linearly with a digital audio/video board going into my DVD burner. This is what he said:

"the format is VOB...i have never encountered that type of format before. And, actually, no other program I have or converter recognizes that format. I wanted to put the video up on my facebook account to show everyone how cool sky diving was but...firstly its too big and i was trying to lower the quality but id need a converter, and the converter would have to recognize the file format, which it does not. Is there some converter or....quality reducer or ... "

I don't have any experience with my videos other than making them and have no idea what to tell him. Does anybody here know something that he can try? Any help or ideas is great.

Thanks!
Stacey
"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

I pretty sure that the .VOB can be renamed to an .AVI file extension.

There is a geat encoder that will prepeare your file for website playback called windows media encoder, it is a free download and the learning curve is easy:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx

If you need some help with it just PM me.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

if you're on a mac, you can use a program called handbrake to convert dvd data (vob) to a number of formats.

Mac and cheese is about as close as I can get...

Mac's are too expensive for my budget.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Incorrect..

.VOB is DVD standard MPG2 files..

So renaming it .mpg wil work IF the computer he/she is trying to play it on has an active MPG2 decoder installed (any DVD playing software wil do)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Incorrect..

.VOB is DVD standard MPG2 files..

So renaming it .mpg wil work IF the computer he/she is trying to play it on has an active MPG2 decoder installed (any DVD playing software wil do)

VOB can be renamed to the AVI file extension and work, at least it does on my computer. I just took one and renamed the file extension to .AVI-doubleclicked and it played in Windows Media Player 10 sound and all - looked great.
I am running Windows XP Pro on a fast machine.

I am not arguing what kind of file is is, but just that it will be recgonized as an AVI on both of the systems I have here at my home office.
Mykel AFF-I10

I am not arguing what kind of file is is, but just that it will be recgonized as an AVI on both of the systems I have here at my home office.

Surprise, surprise the very same application is associated for both extensions....

You are right, you can give any extension you want as long it is played by the same application.

Old thread but a search didn't show any better place to post.

Just a newbie point of view:

While a VOB on a DVD is an mpg, it is a very specific one and can sometimes be finicky to run on different players.

E.g., Media Player Classic might have a problem while VLC works. Or the VOB will play from the start but random access won't work. Sony Vegas often chokes on VOBs (eg, seeing only 9 seconds of a 1 minute video).

Also, if a DVD is long enough, one ends up with multiple 1 GB VOBs and apparently the cut points don't start at convenient spots (for interpreting the video frames) when not playing through a DVD player, making it harder to play VOB's past the very first on the DVD.

I found the freeware program "MPEG Streamclip" works very well at fixing all that, resaving the VOBs as "more normal" MPGs WITHOUT a full re-encoding that would degrade quality. Windows & Mac versions available.

(Streamclip was mentioned at least once before in this forum, but complaints about VOBs seem common in general.)