SimonBones

Crap in my camera

Through time and changing lenses I suppose there is crap that got in my Canon Rebel XT that keeps screwing up my pictures (see attached photo on the left side of photo). I've tried buying a can of duster and spraying the hell out of the inside but that has been unsuccessful.

Does anyone else have any ideas or experiences that can fix this without having to send the camera somewhere and pay over $100 to get it professionally cleaned?

Thanks
-Simon
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Through time and changing lenses I suppose there is crap that got in my Canon Rebel XT that keeps screwing up my pictures (see attached photo on the left side of photo). I've tried buying a can of duster and spraying the hell out of the inside but that has been unsuccessful.

Does anyone else have any ideas or experiences that can fix this without having to send the camera somewhere and pay over $100 to get it professionally cleaned?

Thanks
-Simon

It is a dust or moisture spot on the sensor. You might try calling any camera shops in your area. Diablopilot is right you can buy the stuff and clean it yourself too. For me, I chose the camera shop method. It is easy to screw up the cleaning and I would rather have someone who does a couple hundred of them a month do it than me, who does maybe one a month. The camera shop by me only charges $10 to clean a sensor.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

This page gives you step by step instructions on how to clean it yourself. I picked up his cleaning kit for $30 or $40 or something like that. The kit lasts for a long time and it makes for quick and easy cleaning.

Just take your time and be very gentle. The low pass filter (which is what you're actually cleaning) is pretty delicate and if you scratch it, you're fucked....

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

Action©Sports

That looks like a pretty good option. The website though has about 9 different products for sale ranging from the basic kit to the super ultra mega kit. Which is the best kit to buy so I don't pay a whole bunch of money for stuff I don't really need?
--Simon
Hit me up on Facebook

I picked up this one

It's enough to clean you sensor at least a hundred times. It does take some practice.....just read the info on the page and take your time. I got mine nice and clean in 3 tries my first time around

Edit: Don't spray anything in to your camera - it just blows the crap around

Action©Sports

I'm actually heading out there in a little bit. I only live 10min up the road! I'll see you there sometime this weekend. It'll probably be pretty good to do a cleaning with someone who has done some before so I don't screw it up. Thanks Miami.
--Simon
Hit me up on Facebook

Just a note, Photographic Solutions recommends not using the pec pads you linked for cleaning ccd's. Those are for cleaning lenses and filters. For ccd's you should use sensor swabs.

Also, blowing air across the ccd is fine as long as you follow the rules...lock the mirror up, point the body downward (so the crap can fall out), use only a hand operated air blower (never your own breath), and never put the tip of any blower past the lens mount. This will get a good bit of the crap off of your lens, and once you have the blower you can do it as often as you want for free.B|

Miami

My local photography store (Helix) was more than happy to clean my camera for me, for free.

You can seriously damage your camera, so if you do it yourself - be careful and follow the directions.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

That's cool as hell that your shop will do it free...no one around here will do that...

This is from the Photographic Solutions, Inc. website:

CCD Sensor Guarantee :
Photographic Solutions, Inc. guarantees that its Sensor Swab and Eclipse products will cause no damage to the CCD or CMOS sensor when used in accordance with the instructions provided by the camera manufacturer and/or Photographic Solutions, Inc. (PS) If it is determined that these products caused physical damage to the sensor, PS will reimburse the camera owner for the full cost of repairs upon presentation to PS of proof of purchase, camera manufacturer's repair invoice and the damaged sensor. Use of non-approved methods, procedures or products will void this warranty. This warranty will cover any camera whether or not that manufacture recommends our products or not and is good in any country.

Another good reason to use sensor swabs instead of the pec pads to clean your sensor...
Miami

Not only will spraying air inside your camera just "blow things around" but compressed air can permanently damage your camera, particularly if you tip it upside down and hit the imager with high pressure cold.
Compressed air and imaging devices of any kind don't mix. Either learn to clean it or take it to a camera shop that can do it for you.

Just a note, Photographic Solutions recommends not using the pec pads you linked for cleaning ccd's. Those are for cleaning lenses and filters. For ccd's you should use sensor swabs.

Of course they don't - they can't get $4 apiece for pec-pads.

For all, as an FYI - be VERY careful of using any wet cleaning system if you are using a 400D/XTi. There have been reports of cleaning solution getting underneath the IR filter in some cases - NOT a good thing!!!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I thought not using compressed air was common knowledge...when I referred to "hand operated air blower" I meant this. I've had great luck with it for getting a good deal of the crap off of my sensor, then if there is anything stubborn I break out the liquid cleaner. This type of blower is also the only method recommended by canon for cleaning the sensor yourself.
Miami

Of course they don't - they can't get $4 apiece for pec-pads.

Well if cost is that much of a concern why not just pick up a roll of lint-free paper towels and wrap those on a popsicle stick?:P

I can't afford to ruin my sensor so I prefer to use what was made specifically for cleaning the sensor, not something that's pretty close but still works ok.

edit for grammar
Miami

I thought not using compressed air was common knowledge...when I referred to "hand operated air blower" I meant .

Not by a long shot. you'd be surprised at how many people think it's OK to use compressed air on vid and still cams.
Also, Canon is very adamant about using a fresh battery any time you clean, because if you lose power during a cleaning, you may be hosed.