DSE

Curious Exit...?

Saw a pic today that a photographer had taken. I was impressed with the angle, and couldn't figure out how he'd done it.
I asked him, and he told me it was "difficult to get from a King" (except he'd shot it from our KA).
He explained it was a head down exit, although he wasn't flying head down. He wouldn't elaborate, saying I didn't have enough jumps to understand it.
OK...whatever.
Can anyone help me figure this one out? It appears that rather than dropping straight back beneath the tail, he's standing in front of the door, looking in, except that he's definitely not there, I can't imagine the TM allowing that.
Moreover, when the tandem exits, he's at level with the tandem, but out toward the wing.
One of the other camera flyers said that he had a foot actually in the door, rather than down on the lower step we've got on our KA.
If any of this makes sense, and you can provide some answers, it would be appreciated. I loved the angle, and would like to figure this one out.
No, I don't have a copy of the pic.

Come' on DSE. you've only got 1 jump. You couldn't possibly understand.

I don't really understand what the picture looked like by your description. so I don't have anything to add to this thread.

Edit:
My GUESS ( i wasn't going to add this) is that he has his right foot in the door and more or less stands in the door until the exit and then kicks off and out.

then, again, I haven't jump a KA in a long time.
My photos

My Videos

My GUESS ( i wasn't going to add this) is that he has his right foot in the door and more or less stands in the door until the exit and then kicks off and out.

that's sorta my guess too, but not sure how that leaves enough room for him to hold on. The guy that saw part of it said that he was cutting the wind, so that would suggest that he's got his frontal area to the aircraft, no?

Side rant; it really chaps my ass when someone starts a conversation with "how many jumps do you have?" I still suck but I fly OK for my number of jumps. At the same time, there are a few skydivers I've met with triple my jumps that can't fly for sh**.
Went on my first noodle dive last night (just like a hoop dive) and because I was the oldest, I was last guy out. Everyone but one guy had at least my jump numbers, most had twice my jump numbers. I made it to the hoop, several between the first and last exit didn't. That made me smile at least a little. BTW, if you've never jumped a KA, you learn real fast about stacking the door. So if you're the last guy out, that means your ass stays planted until at least half the load is gone.
Video

Of, course you know I was kidding about jumjp numbers,right?

The vid got me all warm and fuzzy. I have'nt done a (big) fun jump in too long.

I've got the itch to start editing my season dvd but I was hoping to wait until I got my new computer.
(i don't think I will wait that long)
My photos

My Videos

Front float. You can front float anything as long as you get off at the right time, and open up the space for the tandem. If you push out toward the wing tip, you can be right across from the tandem as they come out of the door.

The problem with this is that if you're late, you run into the tandem. Also, if you're right on time, it's really hard to get the exit, and then fly down under the tandem to get a few shots with the plane behind them.

I used to shoot video out of a Twin Bonanza, which for the purposes of this discussion, is about the same as a KA.

We did have a few fun jumpers dink the flap, but they were 2nd or 3rd floater up the wing. I never had a problem with it, and I always exit into head down with tandems, so it would have been my cameras that took the shot.

It like any exit, you just have to do it right. Make sure to project out and up, this will keep you out away from the tandem, up and level with them and clear of the wing.

Edit - Look at it this way - some planes have a low tail on them. I know the Beech 18 is one, and I've heard the PAC 750 might be close as well. You wouldn't rear float those planes, and on exit project yourself upwards, right? You would be smart, and slide down the side of the plane.

Same with the KA. You could hit the wing, but if you're standing on the wing, why would you leave in such a way that you could hit the wing?

Lets face it, you're the only guy out there, and in full control of your actions. Fly the slot properly, it's that simple.

To be fair, not everyone has the experience to be 'on the ball' enough to do this. It takes awhile to have the presence of mind to add an additional detail to the exit, but if you've got it, leave from where ever you like. Front float, rear float, right in the door, from the top of an Otter..........

Doug,
If I could see the photo it would be lot easier of course... But as you describe the angle it appears to me the camera man did something he should have been doing. That's why he's kind of mysterious "you couldn't understand" about his technique. It totally seems to me he actually stood on the wing of the KA! It's legal or right? NO! But it can be done. Of course he doesn't want to get into trouble admitting it.
...I took photos before too they can't be published because of the involvment of some crazyness or stupidity (not from me though) which would put people in a "difficult" situation afterwards.
...cool shots anyway.
-Laszlo-
p.s. I made sure no one can be recognized in the attached picure

Douglas. FX.

Airgord, it came.
You suck for being a tease.

I finally figured this exit. Hard to do wearing wings, but if you put your left foot straight into the door pocket, right knee up against the fuselage of the aircraft, hold floatbar with right hand and door frame with left hand, it's not hard to blow off the side with right leg pushing out, left leg swinging out, both elbows dropped with hands at side once gone from the a/c. This allows 3-5 exit shots, or seems to.
Still working on it. Wish the DZ had a fat mattress to practice with on the ground.

I think you are on to it DSE, the key is to contourt your body and head to get the shots in frame with a well timed exit count and vigorous push off. The hardest part for me is to not reach for the air with my arms, we must keep them in tight to ensure we do not hit the subject.

Make more jumps is the key for me!!!

Stay safe,

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

Of course it's packed.;) Tomorrow morning gets it's inaugural jump. :D Beautiful colors, and knowing I've got the first one in the universe makes me smile just that much more. Colors are great. Not just "dynamic" but damn sexy. I'll post pix of it later. Looks so tiny, gotta wonder where all the volume comes from. Fits so much nicer than my older Talon that is 3/4 of an inch different.
You did an amazing job. Now...will it make my photos better? B|