jtval

How much do you charge fun jumpers?

this thread had me asking these question.

I know it has been mentioned a few times before but I don't think there was an actual thread about it... so:

A few scenarios--

1- YOU ask a group if you can film their jump. you get some shots and they want them. How much do you charge for
-Print? 8X10? 5X7?
-Each Picture(on CD)?
-Multiple pictures(on CD)?
-Video?

2- A group asks YOU to film their jump. how much do you charge for
-Print? 8X10? 5X7?
-Each Picture(on CD)
-Multiple pictures (on CD)?
-Video?
My photos

My Videos

this thread had me asking these question.

I know it has been mentioned a few times before but I don't think there was an actual thread about it... so:

A few scenarios--

1- YOU ask a group if you can film their jump. you get some shots and they want them. How much do you charge for
-Print? 8X10? 5X7?
-Each Picture(on CD)?
-Multiple pictures(on CD)?
-Video?

2- A group asks YOU to film their jump. how much do you charge for
-Print? 8X10? 5X7?
-Each Picture(on CD)
-Multiple pictures (on CD)?
-Video?

1) Currently at my skill level Slot plus pack job (if I offer to do video I pay my own slot)
2) 5 X 7 $6 8 X 10 $10, they are on photo paper not inkjet
3) I don't give away digital work (unless it's a friend I trust) Once you give them the digital image they now own the rights to it and can reproduce it whenever.
4) Same as above, exception is tandem video/stills.
5) They paid for the slot they can have a HD to DV firewire as they covered the slot.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

I offer to do video a LOT more than I'm asked to. I normally pay my own slot, except for 4-way video. I post the pictures to my website where people can buy them. I'm selling them below cost (considering the jump ticket, camera gear, etc). I make typically between about 20 cents and $2 per picture depending on what size they order. I bought my cameras for my own fun... I don't expect my friends to pay for them.

When I get a really nice shot and think someone might appreciate it, I'll print it. 4x6, 8.5x11 or 13x19, depending on how nice a shot it is. I've never really paid for any pics of myself, and I know how much I love when someone gives me a nice shot, so I like to do the same thing for other people, especially newbies who don't have any pictures of themselves.

Shot an AFF jump for fun a couple weekends ago. While the instructors were showing the video to the student, I printed off a 4x6 for him. He asked how much he owes me and I said nothing, I did it for fun. Well, I only found out the next day that he had put a jump on my account before he left. So the next time he's out, I have a 13x19 and 8.5x11 print to hand him, and I put the video online. He paid for em!

I don't have a problem with someone making money taking pictures of fun jumpers, but there's also no reason it has to be a business and not just a hobby.

I really try to avoid giving people videos right now...pain in the butt! I've never charged for putting a video online or burning a DVD though. Might buy a burner to leave at the DZ to make it easier though.

Dave

They ask me: slot and pack, then they can deal with the editing staff for getting the work off my tape and/or card.

I go for fun then they want the work: slot, then they can deal with the editing staff for getting the work off my tape and/or card.

In either event, if they prefer that I do the editing, that starts at one addtional slot to use later, depending on what they want, and I will have the product the following week. I do not have editing equipment at the DZ.

If a team asks me to film either four or eight way, one jump or a whole day of training, they pay my slots, i pack for myself. If they are mates and ask me to shoot stills, i will and would probably give them to them for free.

If a student or another jumper that i don't know asks me to go up with them and film them on a jump, slot plus the same as i charge for a tandem video, around $25 + a further $14 is they want stills. That's because i'm probably going to be missing out on a normal work jump to do that. However they get a DVD with music, the same way i do a tandem vid.

If someone that i know asks me i might ask for slot or if it's a close friend, i'll pay my slot and film for fun.

I don't have the faxcility to print pics so that doesn't enter into it.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky