dallycat

Sony HC3 settings?

Hi all,

Can you guys offer a newbie some advice on settings when using a Sony HC3 with a cookie liquid 5 lense combination.

In a few test jumps i noticed a reflection of the lense ring in the video. Also, when the camera gets a glimse of the sun it goes out of focus.

I have the settings all on auto.

Thanks for your help.

D

auto settings will ruin perfectly good shots.

auto focus should NEVER be used in freefall.
I set it to infinity.
( i set my program to Sports and my white bal to outdoor)
some one told me that the HC3 has to be set everytime the power is turned on.
I don't know if it is true.

for the reflection you can get a polarizer filter.
but beware, as soon as you loos the sun light the video will be DARK!

(that is to say a load or two before sunset, not if you have a stray cloud over your head.)
My photos

My Videos

You don't have to set the focus every time you turn on the camera. It's every 12 hours if I remember correctly. You will have to press the focus button on the lcd side of the camera up next to the lens. then use the roller wheel to adjust to infinity. You shouldn't have to mess with it unless it been the 12 hours or you turn the auto focus back on. If you do shut the camera down whenever you turn it back on if it is still set to infinity you should see a pair of mountains close to the middle of the left side of the display. As far as seeing the reflection of the lens ring are you saying that it is cutting out the corners when you shoot the video? If so besides adding a bit of zoom or filing down the end of tour lens you're pretty much out of luck. Hope this helps!!!:)
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

In regards to the reflection. It is like the inside of the polarized filter is mirroring the face of the wide angle lense. The cookie liquid lense is a blue color as you probably know and i have to wonder if it would be better black (less reflective color).

It only seems to do this with the sun coming in on certain angles into the lense. I guess once i get good at making sure the sun is behind me then that won't be an issue (damn newbies... LOL).

Thanks for your help so far! I'll try those settings as soon as i can. If you can think of more tips i'll take them.

Cheers!
D

Manual focus will stay set for 12 hours as will white balance and other settings.

You cannot use a wide-angle and set focus to infinity - this will result in just a blur. You need to set up your focus manually for the distance you want if you are using a W/a. (The Cookie Lens blurb mentions Sony cameras specifically in this respect)

Setting the focus to manual and infinity is great for using the camera as it comes.

Regards

Red Kite

As previously posted, that reflection is most likely off of the inside surface of the lens or lens adapter. It amazes me that companies make the inside of lenses or adapters out of bright metal. If it is an adapter, you can get a replacement in black (Kenko is famous for shipping bright metal adapters with their lenses, I don't know about Cookie). Replace either with black equipment (like any real lens or camera company) and the ring should go away.

You cannot use a wide-angle and set focus to infinity - this will result in just a blur. You need to set up your focus manually for the distance you want if you are using a W/a.

Actualy, this is only true for single element w/a lenses(Cookie, Waycool etc). I use a Giotto's 0.45 and focus on infinity quite happily.

C.

Brother Wayward's rule of the day...
"Never ever ever go skydiving without going parachuting immediately afterwards."
100% PURE ADRENALENS