clint

Lite-On DVD Recorder

I just bought one and I have a list of DVD's that they recommend.

DVD+R or DVD+RW or DVD-R or DVD-RW.

Which one do I want to buy? Which brand is the best or cheapest or what will work for me?

Thanks,
-
Clint MacBeth
Skydive Moab 435 259 JUMP
M.O.A.B. Mother Of All Boogies Sept 19 - 23, 2012

That depends on what you are wanting to do. If you want to distribute video DVD's out to lots of people you will want to use the DVD-R at the slowest speed (ex. 2x). Older DVD players cannot read the DVD+R disks and have trouble with DVD-R's that are written at high speeds.

For just data you don't have to worry so much about compatability as a lot of the computers out there will be able to read pretty much any data DVD's. The DVD-RW or DVD+RW are more expensive and would not be suitable for distribution and I would only use for temporary backup.

Clint,
Any of those discs will play back OK most likely.
The major concern is in our business is the speed...
I've been making DVD's for tandems since early 2003 and I made a lot ever since (so as my colleges).
The reason why we use +R format is because the disc can be finalized lot fasrer. The fastest -R format took 10 minutes! Meanwhile the +R's take only 1-3 minutes. The finalization of the disc also gets lot faster if you have more data written onto it, so we always select the best quality recording mode.
Personally I started to use +RW (RW stands for re-writeable) format so I don't even have to finalize, but the disc cost me 20c more ( worth it to me...)
We always ask the customers to watch their DVD before they leave. If thaey call back because the DVD doesn't play at home normally we recommend to try it on adiffernt player which normally solves the problem. (problems like these are very rare)
-Laszlo-

An issue you might want to consider is to have a printer do a run and custom label the DVD's for you. There are lots of good companies that will do runs of 200-500 DVD's for you. It adds a slightly nicer touch to have your logo and phone number on the Disk.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Just to clarify, I came up with my conclusions mostly by testing DVD's written at different speeds and trying each different one. Also by researching info on the difference between -R and +R. The basic skinny on it is -R is older technology and the +R is newer tech. That is pretty much why the older DVD players won't play the +R's.

Be careful with labels, unless they are perfectly centered they can induce a wobble and will throw the DVD off completely and make it unplayable.

I ended up paying about $.95 a DVD-R to have them professionally printed with a screening process and white sleeves to put the DVD's in. That included the setup fees and shipping. When I reorder this year I won't need the setup fees and the cost should be sub $.80 a DVD.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

I normally just buy them at Sam's club and whatever brand is on sale. I really haven't found any difference between brands. As I read tha other postings I can recommend the same thing as others.
If you want to go fancy you can search the net and find companies where you can order custom printed blank DVD's. Or you can just buy inkjet printables.
Here at Z-hills we just put a good old stamp onto these white inkjet printable discs and put them into those Skydive City sleeves (the DZ supplies them).
One thing you DON'T want to do, DO NOT put any sticky lables onto any DVD disc! They will cause a problem!
-Laszlo-

Be careful with labels, unless they are perfectly centered they can induce a wobble and will throw the DVD off completely and make it unplayable.

I inferred, maybe wrongly, that his printer is an inkjet that can print directly on "printable" DVDs. Lots of cheap printers, e.g. Epson R200, can. Of course you will quickly spend more on ink than you paid for the printer.

Yes you right abuot the -/+ diffrences. Luckily there's not too many players out there anymore which can't play +R. The other thing in this practicular case we talking about the recorder decks (just like VCR's) not the burners in our computers. So the writing speed is always the same 1X...

I did buy the Epson R220. I figure that the ink will be expensive. I also got it for printing out 8x10 photo of the student landing.

What company can I contact to get the DVD's and the label on them already?

I plan on doing about 700 videos this year and so the ink will be expensive. It's a start until my season starts.

-
Clint MacBeth

I did buy the Epson R220. I figure that the ink will be expensive. I also got it for printing out 8x10 photo of the student landing.

What company can I contact to get the DVD's and the label on them already?

I plan on doing about 700 videos this year and so the ink will be expensive. It's a start until my season starts.

-
Clint MacBeth

I used Diversified Systems Group out of Washington www.dsgi.com

Cost was $425 for 500 8X DVD-R's plus the sleeves, setup fees and shipping. I went with the 600dpi direct ink printing due to the artwork that we had made up. The other print methods vary in cost and can be cheaper. The best thing is all I have to do is open a box and go, there is no sitting down to print 25 during the week to be ready on the weekend only to find that 30 people showed up.

If you go with them let them know I refered you. :)
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com