GeorgeKat

Used a Cookie Flatlock?

they are low profile but they are by no means flimsy or weak
the work VERY well and have a positive attacment between base and plate,
and the look slick too B|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Make sure you have enough room for the 'footprint' of the base plate.
I had to sell mine on as it was too big for the top of my FF2 helmet.

I wasnt overjoyed with the Quick release system either......not sure about the longevity of that rubber seal over a long period of time...

Just my opinion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just my speculation.

Speculation not opinion.
I'll see if i can get a pic this weekend

No....My OPINION
Its a bit rude to quote me , and then change the wording in that quote to suit yourself...

In Reply To

Just my speculation.

Speculation not opinion.
I'll see if i can get a pic this weekend

No....My OPINION
Its a bit rude to quote me , and then change the wording in that quote to suit yourself...

No if you have not YET had exprerience with it failing it IS SPECULATION
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hi, I have the Flatlock on a Rawa. The Flatlock is bigger than Rawa's top platform, so the 4 holes will be almost on the edge of said platform. It's no big deal, I enlarged the platform a bit with an epoxi-goo-stuff. I'll post some pic's later.

The Flatlock is awesome. Building quality and finish, lightweight, very low profile and very clever design. Oh, and service was amazing - got it from Australia in three days.

I used the thumbscrew for some time as I wanted no added weight and heigh (at my experience level, SLR and lens is bad enough), but the liners of my helmets start to fall apart. So I bought a few quick mounts but wasn't happy with any - either heavy, tall or snag-prone. I even shelled out for the german X-shut but found out later that it requires some interface (and there goes the low profile advantage). ( I haven't tried the stroboframe as they are not easy to get at my corner of Europe.)

I flew the Flatlock yesterday for the first time, so I can't coment on the durability/reliability. Quality and functionality are great!

Carlos Martins
Portugal www.cj.smugmug.com

Perhaps you should have got this
http://www.cookiecomposites.com/shop/Accessories/26/index.htm

It adapts the flatlock to many a rounded helmet. I've run it over 3 different helmets as a test and it hasn't failed to fit.

As for the "o" ring used for the lock, I can't see it failing for a long long time, but if it does, it's totally field replaceable.

Soon as I need another clip on, it'll be a flatlock.

C.

Brother Wayward's rule of the day...
"Never ever ever go skydiving without going parachuting immediately afterwards."
100% PURE ADRENALENS

As for the "o" ring used for the lock, I can't see it failing for a long long time, but if it does, it's totally field replaceable.

Its definately more field replaceable than any metal/spring locking assembly....but again its my opinion that the metal pin locking assembly is less prone to wear related failure than a 'piece of rubber'

I just ordered a goldmember that fits out of the box..

Ditto....after selling on my Flatlock as it didnt fit (my fault for 'assuming' the base plate would fit )
Got a goldmember and was fitted within minutes without having to use shims/braces/additional mounting brackets etc etc

No worries Dave, that's why I said "Perhaps".

Actually, the first thing I said to Cookie when I saw the Flatlock was
"Are you gonna make a smaller one? 'Cos if you do, I'll buy one"
I'm stil waiting, but I reckon I'll convince him eventually.

I like Terry's product too - they each have their place in the market.

Cheers,

C.

Brother Wayward's rule of the day...
"Never ever ever go skydiving without going parachuting immediately afterwards."
100% PURE ADRENALENS

Can you share your process? Did you make a mold? Layed up right on the helmet, or attached afterward?

I used a plastic juice bottle as a mold to create the top and lateral sections. The bottle is a quadrangular prism with round edges. I laid a thin layer and cut the necessary portion of that with scissors as soon as it was touch dry. I used a Dremel to rough the helmet finish at the attachment points and glued this piece to it. The rear part was then directly laid. Sorry, I made no pics of the building process... my hands were too sticky to pick up a camera ;)

Carlos Martins
Portugal www.cj.smugmug.com