bigway

computer deal

I am looking at getting a new computer. If someone could take the time to look over this link and let me know if this would be a good system. I download a shit load, edit lots of jump footage and like it to be fast. I know only basic computer lingo and would love some opinions.

If anyone knows of anything that matches this or is better i would love a link or quote.

This is in oz dollars and i am ready to purchase it, just thought i would check with this trusty forum first.

Cheers guyshttp://gr-tek.com.au/M7322BW.htm

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Check with the software company that you are going to be using for your video editing to make sure the hardware is compatible. Adobe has fairly specific requirements to run their stuff as does Avid and most other decent packages.

One of the reasons MAC's are stable is they have 100% control on the hardware and software. PC's can be more touchy in terms of what hardware they will run on vs what is supported.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I think they ask way to much money for what this machine can really offer. The processor isn't everything!
If you wan to use PC (thre's nothing wrong with that) for videos and photos you'll need the following:
Windows XP Pro SP2 instead of Media Centre crap
2 Gig RAM
For video editing you need an extra hard drive where you store your video files. This drive has to be a separated drive from your local disc (it's valid with MAC too) ...and of course 7200RPM.
What the resolution of that screen? 22" just a size but I recommend at least 1050x1680 resolution or higher.
I have a similar specs I just listed above in my LAPTOP(!) what I bought 18months ago for $1750. (P4 3.4Ghz, 7200RPM 60G HD, XP pro SP2, 17" 1050x1680 screen, 2GB RAM at 533MHz, 800Mhz FSB, and etc.)
So you shold be able to get a lot better deal for that price. (deffinetly if you are buying a desk top)
Good luck!
-Laszlo-

If I was buying something for video editing 6-7yrs ago there would be no doubt about the MAC.
But I have to agree with you now days you just pay more money for the Apple and don't get any more for it.
My best example my girlfriend just got a brand new Intel processor PowerBook with all the extras for mobil video editing (She's a producer) but she can't use her Avid Express Pro on it because the doungle dosen't work with those machines yet. At the mean time my PC laptop has no problem running the same soft ware in HD!
There's only one proplem with Windows, unfortunately they write lot more viruses for it>>> keep your system updated, don't open junk e-mail w. attachment, then everything is fine.
-Laszlo-

I think they ask way to much money for what this machine can really offer. The processor isn't everything!
If you wan to use PC (thre's nothing wrong with that) for videos and photos you'll need the following:
Windows XP Pro SP2 instead of Media Centre crap
2 Gig RAM
For video editing you need an extra hard drive where you store your video files. This drive has to be a separated drive from your local disc (it's valid with MAC too) ...and of course 7200RPM.
What the resolution of that screen? 22" just a size but I recommend at least 1050x1680 resolution or higher.
I have a similar specs I just listed above in my LAPTOP(!) what I bought 18months ago for $1750. (P4 3.4Ghz, 7200RPM 60G HD, XP pro SP2, 17" 1050x1680 screen, 2GB RAM at 533MHz, 800Mhz FSB, and etc.)
So you shold be able to get a lot better deal for that price. (deffinetly if you are buying a desk top)
Good luck!
-Laszlo-

That is in australian dollars, does that make a difference ...so the price is probably only about 1200 US.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

If it's in AU$ sounds lot better but still a bit high.
But if you're in AU and don't have to pay for international shipping and costums, then probably it isn't bad anymore.
I would still look around on the market.
I found e-bay pretty good for computers (but don't buy a parachute there... ha-ha-ha)
-Laszlo-

First point:

What is the speed of the hard drive? This is often overlooked, you want at least a 7,200 RPM drive; I always buy a 10,000 RPM drive. This does mean that you will get less space for the money - and you can't get as large of a drive... I will ussually get one smaller drive that is a 10,000 RPM for my OS and applications, and then two cheap large drives that are software mirrored for archived files.

Second point:

Time and time and time again I see people try to save money by going to home or shop built PCs... I'm a PC Guy - but one thing that these MAC guys have is that they HAVE to buy from apple - which means every MAC owner gets the same quality PC.

I would strongly recommend purchasing from a large company, my favorite is DELL, in addition, purchase the 3 year complete service package that means they come to your house the next day to fix equipment problems. This extra $250USD insurance means you're going to have a nice peice of equipment for years to come.

Don't ever buy a PC thinking "I'll just upgrade it in a year". Buy a high quality motherboard, the current most economical high end processor (right before the prices start getting rediculous) and put at least 1GB of ram in a machine - 2 if you're going to do something serious with it; 4 if you're a nut like me.

One major benefit of buying from a place like Dell - is that all of their equipment is not only tested - but it's tested with each other - and if a problem arises; dell gets on driver updates right away; because otherwise all the support calls cost them money.

Too many places out there make cheap motherboards and other components that are released with minor issues - and never get fixed because the company doesn't loose money on support calls.
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

Why pay more (WAY more) for Dell, if I can assemble the pc myself with the exact specs I want? And with room to add stuff later if I want to (i usually do). I don't really do it to save money actually, more for the specs and for the fun as well... If you tinker with a brand pc you'll lose warranty. Their cases usually aren't even equipped to plug in just one more HD >:(

My old HP is now a case-modded awful-looking flashy thing just because I like to tinker. PB is really bad about tinkering, HP is only slightly better. Both require a total reset of the system to even begin diagnosing any problems. A home made pc has trouble you can't fix, you can go to the local pc shop, which I'll take over any big corporation anyday. With any of the big brands it's easier to just buy the extended warranty, with the home-made pc's I never needed such "insurance". There's a big money saver too... Too bad I mostly use laptops these days :|

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Why pay more (WAY more) for Dell, if I can assemble the pc myself with the exact specs I want? And with room to add stuff later if I want to (i usually do). I don't really do it to save money actually, more for the specs and for the fun as well... If you tinker with a brand pc you'll lose warranty. Their cases usually aren't even equipped to plug in just one more HD >:(

My old HP is now a case-modded awful-looking flashy thing just because I like to tinker. PB is really bad about tinkering, HP is only slightly better. Both require a total reset of the system to even begin diagnosing any problems. A home made pc has trouble you can't fix, you can go to the local pc shop, which I'll take over any big corporation anyday. With any of the big brands it's easier to just buy the extended warranty, with the home-made pc's I never needed such "insurance". There's a big money saver too... Too bad I mostly use laptops these days :|

If you buy a nice workstation class dell, you won't have any problem fitting 4 hard drives in the system. You can also tinker by adding PCI expansion cards and new drives without breaking the service plan. The only thing that needs to be the same is the power supply, case, motherboard, and processor. Ram you can add yourself but it does need to be on the approved list of vendors.

If someone is asking for price advice online, chances are they're not the kind of person to tinker. If you do decide to go the "it's cheaper and I can tinker" route, you need to identify that at some point in the next three years you may *need* to tinker with it before you can use it anymore. If you get a complete support package you will always have a guy on site with new parts if something breaks - meaning no unexpected 'tinker' downtime or costs.

Plus, you're going to save yourself a TON of issues by using devices that have well supported (tens of thousands of devices are in use) *digitally signed* drivers. It drives me nuts when I see people click that "this driver is not signed, install anyway?" button on that cheap $35 component they bought. Signed drivers means that it had to pass an API compatibility test - one that will specifically check for thread-safe issues; the number one reason why windows systems end up with "random issues"... because the hardware layer is considerably more vulnerable to incorrect marshalling between threads - which has the possibility of creating not only memory - but process leaks.

The big shop (dell) business and support model is that if anything breaks - they fix it... That means they have a HUGE interest in using QUALITY parts with SUPERIOR driver updates. – because they need to replace bad parts and resolve issues quickly, and at their own expense.

If you look at no-name MB companies – they can use the first few versions of their products to work out the bugs, because often customers give up on problems and buy another board; thinking “oh, it just went bad”. The Gigabyte board he specified before has all sorts of poor ratings: Not only is the board no longer in production (why not, what’s wrong with it?) What do customers say about the board?

(from NewEgg.com review)

I have a e6300 overclocked to 2.41Ghz on stock and have a Tuniq Tower on its way then i am going for 2.8Ghz. My FSB is running well over 1350 and my DRR2 mem is running at around 833. My mem also was set at 5-5-5-15 timings on auto which i changed to 4-4-4-10. To get your cpu to go even higher you have to increase the PCI-E over 110. Hope this helps you out and remember this also a sub one hundred dollar board so its going to be a little trickier to play with. don't expect a Hummer when you buy a Geo Metro.

Well here we go: It supports the core 2 processors but can't run them to their full potential. As soon as I turned it on my processor (core 2 duo E6400) was downclocked to 1.6 ghz. According to page 10 of the owners manual it supports 800/533 FSB.

Besides the problems already stated, there is a problem with the drivers cd. They included a utility called face wizard. This utility is not compatible with this motherboard.. I can no longer use my motherboard because it destroyed my BIOS. Thanks Gigabyte

I had very poor performance with this board when using a core2duo 6300, 2gb ram, Seagate 300gb SATA2 drive, and Geforce 7600gs video. This was part of an upgrade for an employee from a Sempron 3000+ system, 1gb ram, 75gb WD Raptor drive, and built in Nforce 2 graphics. The client complained of poor performance when loading programs which I thought was due to the slower hard drive (raptor had to stay with the older comptuer for various reasons). However, when I looked at it everything on his computer experienced severe delays, even the Windows start menu. Running programs wasn't bad but loading them was. I just rebuilt that computer with a newer motherboard using the 965 chipset but all the same components and without a reinstall of the OS and everything worked lightening quick from first boot. The absence of this board was the only difference. This is the second core2duo system built for my company and problems of performance were only exhibited when using this board.

IDE connector too far away from drive cage. First IDE cable plug too close to second IDE connector causing me to put IDE drive outside of cage and not mounted. Power on by keyboard only works with key "Power Key" on keyboard, my MSI NC7D I can press any key to start it up. Win XP Restart not working, something else to research...

Quirks: Even when not overclocking this board fails to recognize my Western Digital SATA drives on a soft reboot, but they are found every time from a hard power-up, happens with the shipped bios and the latest from Gigabyte.

Have fun tinkering! I’m not sure what you mean by PB – Packard Bell? Dude… what year are you living in?
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

If someone is asking for price advice online, chances are they're not the kind of person to tinker.

I realize that, I wasn't responding to the original poster but to you when you said to not buy a home-made pc ever.

I’m not sure what you mean by PB – Packard Bell? Dude… what year are you living in?

Not what year, what COUNTRY. PB is one of if not THE biggest vendor here.

Also, I'm no dude :S:D

The problems you listed are somewhat amusing, I can tell you I never had THAT many problems building my own. A slight hicckup here and there, sure. But I have had LOTS of problems with pre-installed software and hardware compatability problems etc from Tulip/Compaq/PB/HP/Sony, although Dell admittedly doesn't cause as many problems as the others do, esp. lately.

ciel bleu,
Saskia