JGarcia

Cranial Camera Mount (CCM) #74...PICS!

So I've had a few request to post my Cranial Camera Mount, made by Wes Rich of Rim World Video in DeLand, FL. I've been flying cameras for quite a number of years now and always said that when I had the $$, I'd get the ultimate camera helmet from Wes. I've been a big fan of his work for a very long time, and finally I decided to go for it. In mid-June, my buddy Jason Jerusalem and I went over to Wes' shop to get our noggin's molded for these one of a kind helmets (our CCMs were the #73rd and 74th ones that Wes has built).

Yes, the wrapping process is VERY clausterphobic, and not the most comfortable thing in the world. However, you'll see that the final result was definitely worth it. What makes these helmets different is the attention to detail and the comfort of the helmet. Since it's molded specifically to the shape of your head, it needs very little padding and is very comfortable.

I LOVE the looks of the helmet, but its functionality is what makes it stand out from the rest. Within seconds, I can go from Video Only, to Video & Stills, to Video/stills/flash, to Stills Only, to Stills/Flash. All this without the need of quick releases! Furthermore, all the wiring lies within the helmet, so that nothing is exposed or has to be tucked away with gaffer's tape. When not doing stills, the tongue switch basically detatches from the chin area of the helmet. And it's freaking light! At its heaviest (with a Canon Digital Rebel XT, Sigma 15mm lens, Cannon Speedlight 580 EX with all the batteries, & Sony HC3 with Raynox HD Wide Angle Lens, it weigh's 8.0 lbs.

However, all this did not come cheap! :S The helmet, and all the custom carbon fiber mounts (1 for each camera, and 2 for the flash, depending what configuration I am going to shoot with), and 2 custom tongue switches, cost $2,250. :oKeep in mind that the ring site, and HypeEye, and all camera gear are extra.

I've jumped quite a few camera helmets, and still l prefer my Rawa for all my freefly jumps and AFF jumps. But if you're serious about photography and flying camera, I feel the hefty price tag and the looooong wait (15 weeks) are definitely worth it for functionality, flexibility, and comfort you gain with this helmet.

Since this post would get even longer with the different set ups that the helmet allows, I'll break it up into several posts. Below, you'll see a few pictures of the molding process.

Enjoy the pics :)

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

Here are some pics of the CCM with the Canon XT, Sony HC3, and Canon 580 EX flash. You'll notice that there's an L&B Optima mounted externally on the top plate. There is an internal speaker that is wired within the helmet and also an LED that is hooked up to the ring sight that flashes at my preset warning altitudes. Mounting it externally makes it easy to adjust without having to take it in and out of a pocket to adjust the altitudes. It also keeps the helmet more streamlined since it doesn't have to fit it within the shell.

Oh, and the ring sight is also engineered so that it swivels out of the way after opening. This is very nice for when it fogs up in the FL weather.

Cheers!

--Jairo

And FINALLY, here are the pics of the Horizontal Stills, with Flash (No Video) configuration.

Very nice looking helmet. What do you do if you want horizontally framed stills AND video?

Is there an adjustment/way to put on multiple types/sizes of cameras (film/HD/HDV/DV)?

Is that flash REALLY just attached via a hotshoe attachment?

enjoy it!

pope

For what I do, I rarely need horizontally framed stills and video. However, if I needed to, I can move the Still camera all the way to one side, and mount my PC series DV camera right next to it. I can also mount multiple video camera's on it (side by side) if I needed to.

The flash, on the stills with flash pics, isn't just attatched via the hot-shoe attatchent. There's a small carbon fiber L-braket that the flash is braced with, in addidion to bracing via the hot shoe.

Cheers!

--Jairo

question please Jairo

what is the weight of complete rig still,video,flash and helmit

it looks heavy and I worry about your neck if you had a hard opening or bad landing

be carefull bro

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

At its heaviest (with a Canon Digital Rebel XT, Sigma 15mm lens, Cannon Speedlight 580 EX with all the batteries, & Sony HC3 with Raynox HD Wide Angle Lens, it weigh's 8.0 lbs.

... Check out the original post (3rd paragraph)...:P

Cheers!

--Jairo

I agree with you that the sticker price is higher than others, so I'd say that it'd be worth it depending on what you want to do. If you just want to slap the camera on top of the Bat-Rack, and it will never vary in it's position, then I'd look at bone head or cookie composites. However, if you get want to be able to move the camera around on the top plate depending on what you're shooting, then I'd go for it. Give Wes a call and let him know what you're wanting.

Good luck!

--Jairo

As of yet, I haven't had the need for a battery pack...fresh AA batteries have worked well for me with a very short recycle time (I use the re-chargeable Energizer kind). If I were to jump a battery pack I can tell you I wouldn't be mounting it on my helmet! If you search the forums, you'll find that those that do jump a battery pack end up with it somewhere inside their jumpsuit.

Cheers!

--Jairo

Jairo,
Jeff here from Pinky and the Brain.;) Absolutely badass helmet. I hope to see it in person at the Pink Mafia boogie in February. I want to put my hands on it and check it out if that is ok with you.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Looks nice Jairo. How wide is your top plate?

I still have to finish mine. [:/]

I also noticed the tape on your LCD screen. I like the aesthetics of how Wes does his mounting setup, but that was the first thing I thought of - keeping my LCD closed. Functionally I'd prefer a box. Even though gaffer's tape is pretty damn reliable, for me I don't think that would be enough since (1) I could forget easily, or the tape could get old from being reused and (2) if that door comes open, it's gone and the camera is hosed. Also it would be an inconvenience to always have to remember to tape that... I think I'd rather have a box.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Hey Matt! The top plate is 19.5 cm wide, and about 25 cm long from front of the plate to the back.

As far as the LCD screen, I have the tape on there in such a way that you cannot forget to put it on. First, I took the battery off, then I put the tape from the screen to the recessed area where the battery would be. I then put the battery back on. So the tape is there permanently (well, untill I replace it). I've been head down and on my back (in freefall :P)with it like that and had any problems.

I was also thinking about getting the Cookie box... I'm sure it could be modified to fit the way Wes' box is set up, offereing a bit more protection. The good thing about the way it is now, is that it doen't have to be removed from the helmet to view the footage. It's just another toy to think about! :D
I hope all is well...hopefully your helmet's not too far behind mine!

Cheers!

--Jairo