bigway

Freefly Camera lens.

just wondering what lenses people are using for freefly. I guess most use somewhere between the three and the four.
The reason i ask is cause i am new to the freefly scene (200 jumps) whenever i use the point three i wish i had the point 5 and when i use the point five i wish i had the point three. Only cause my flying sucks!

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I use a Liquid 5 (x0.45) and I find that when I am docking on someones foot you don't really get a good shot of the dock (sometimes you don't get it all). That's really the only time I regret not having a x.30 (am I going in the right direction? The smaller the number the wider the lens?). But for right now I am not flying for the camera so it's not terribly dissapointing.

my flying sucks!

Thats where you want to start :P

If I am flying inside, I'd wish I had a .3 but for all of my other stuff (I mostly fly outside) I use a 0.5 or a 0.43
Basically.. bring the right tools for the kind of flying you are doing. If you know upfront you are going to be taking docks and all that, probably bring the 0.3. If you know you're going to be on the outside filming others, bring the 0.5

just my humble 2 cts..

cheers,
I like to fly outside, i prefer to be filming than taking the docks and being the center of the jump.

Then spend your $$ on a good 0.5 wide angle.. there is no need to go wider if you fly outside.
You'll see a lot of distortion on the wider lenses, and personally... I hate that.. but that's just me..
I'm from Holland.. and veird sometimes.. so take my advice with a grain of salt.. :)

I have a 0.6, you think i should invest ina 0.5 or a 0.45?

nope.. is it a Sony .6?

See the thing that a lot of people dont understand is a shot does not happen because of a lens.. it happens because you were there, at the right time. Of course the right equipment helps, but its not necessary.
With the .6 you'll just have to back up a bit more than someone that has a .5

Greg Gasson shoots without a wide angle.. you dont NEED a wide angle.. it just makes life easier..

I have a 0.6, you think i should invest ina 0.5 or a 0.45?

nope.. is it a Sony .6?

See the thing that a lot of people dont understand is a shot does not happen because of a lens.. it happens because you were there, at the right time. Of course the right equipment helps, but its not necessary.
With the .6 you'll just have to back up a bit more than someone that has a .5

Greg Gasson shoots without a wide angle.. you dont NEED a wide angle.. it just makes life easier..

I am aware of that. It is just i like to fly in the group but hang back and get the shots.
My 0.6 is a sont lens and it just feels wrong, it comes out very grainy so to speak.

Does anyone have any input into the performance of a sony lens?
I know i have a lot fo work to do on my flying, i just want to find a good lens to buy and stick with. I had this lens for tandems. Now you cant really demo lenses and i think i would liek a 0.45 and am wondering what brand to go for of a good quality.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

This one is easy to answer. Rule #1 in life is always follow the $$$. That always gets rid of people thoughts, feelings, opions and emotions on any topic.

Got people waiting right now and back ordered for their lense. Retailer and wholesaler all out of stock of their 0.5, lots of 0.3 they will try to sell you instead. That was the biggest complaint of 2005 Christmas season and you watch, 2006 will be much the same if it is even going on right now even before the holiday rush has started.

I pretty much repeating what that vidiot Iwan said, but hey, every once in a while im gonna throw in my .02 also.

I have a Kenko .05 Pro and a .42 Pro. I do not have a .3 b/c I just dont spend enough time inside on formations. My flying is just getting to where I can be a 1st wave stinger, and the .42 is great for that. Why did I pick that up over the .5 when theyre so close? I had a LOT of shots that if I could have just a little more in the frame I'd have a DECENT shot.
for example with the .5 in a 3way round I'd only get one jumper at a time, looking like an open 2way, with the .42 you can tell its a 3 way round.

I also get a lot of outside stuff, and video on the ground. The .42, for me, is a great overall lens. When/if I get to doing more inside work I'll switch to a .3 for sure.

Ive just finished my 6th finished video, also my 2nd 30min + length, and found I was getting more source to use to edit down. Or, maybe, just MAYBE, my flying is getting better.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I pretty much repeating what that vidiot Iwan said, but hey, every once in a while im gonna throw in my .02 also.

I have a Kenko .05 Pro and a .42 Pro. I do not have a .3 b/c I just dont spend enough time inside on formations. My flying is just getting to where I can be a 1st wave stinger, and the .42 is great for that. Why did I pick that up over the .5 when theyre so close? I had a LOT of shots that if I could have just a little more in the frame I'd have a DECENT shot.
for example with the .5 in a 3way round I'd only get one jumper at a time, looking like an open 2way, with the .42 you can tell its a 3 way round.

I also get a lot of outside stuff, and video on the ground. The .42, for me, is a great overall lens. When/if I get to doing more inside work I'll switch to a .3 for sure.

Ive just finished my 6th finished video, also my 2nd 30min + length, and found I was getting more source to use to edit down. Or, maybe, just MAYBE, my flying is getting better.

Excellent reply, thank you.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I've got a sony .6, a Kenko pro macro .42, and a diamond .3. I use them all.

If my subjects are gonna be moving alot, and I may not be in tune with it... the .6 is kinda 'old faithful' for me. If i'm filming vrw or certain types of jumps where I know what shot I want and what the dive is gonna feel like the .42 is the bomb for a lense! Inside the .3 is a cool lense.

The 'dress for success' rule definitely applies.

IMHO

chaps
Carpe diem