atmojunkie

Editing software?

Depends on your need and likley editing use.
If you have a PC ....get XP and you have Windows Movie Maker installed on that already.
If you download service pack 2 , the latest version is included.

Its TOTALLY fine for everything but advanced editing.....and you will know its time to 'upgrade' when your editing skills /needs dictate......but to start off with its free and cant be beaten.
As you progress there are many editing suites that will satisfy your needs ( Pinnacle, Canopus, Sony Vegas, Premiere Pro etc) but dont be in a rush...windows Movie Maker can teach you alot about editing and is pretty intuitive to use.....(as well as FREE)

I have very limited experience with Macs so I'm sure someone will chime in their.
Likewise for Linear Editing systems.

Macs come with iMovie on there already. iMovie is the software that first started the "gee, I should be able to edit movies without $1,000+ software" thing. It's the software that Windows Movie Maker is copying.

If that's not enough, Final Cut Express is a step up [$300] and Final Cut Pro after that [$1,000]. I won't go into any more details because you stated you're a peecee guy.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Macs come with iMovie on there already. iMovie is the software that first started the "gee, I should be able to edit movies without $1,000+ software" thing. It's the software that Windows Movie Maker is copying.

Not quite. Adobe Premiere (preceded by Evergreen which eventually became Final Cut Pro) copied Avid, sold for 599.00, and was the first sub 1K value editing application. Ulead Media Studio Pro came shortly thereafter, and then FAST released their tools. Then came Ulead VideoStudio, which set the bar for 99.00 applications.
iMovie wasn't even remotely a conception at that point. Doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things, but it gets tiring reading about how Apple "innovated" all these things that are common.
It is true however, that iMovie forced Micro$oft to develop a very poor copy of the iLife tools. Micro$oft should quit trying to emulate Apple and just be good at their own thing, especially on the media side of the river.

Editing software...
Depends on what you need to do, want to do, and dream of doing.
In the Apple world, you have choices of:
iMovie-free
Final Cut Express-299.00
Final Cut Studio-1299.00
Avid Express HD-1599.00

On the PC side:
Adobe Premiere Pro-499.00 (Also in a full bundle for more $$) Also has hardware available.
Adobe Premiere Elements-99.00
Avid Express Pro HD-1599.00 Also has hardware available.
Avid Free-Free
Avid Liquid Pro-499.00 Also has hardware available.
Canopus Edius-499.00 Also has hardware available.
Pinnacle (now Avid) Studio 99.00
Sony Vegas Movie Studio-89.00
Sony Vegas full version -599.00
Sony Vegas Platinum-129.00
Ulead Media Studio Pro-299.00
Ulead Video Studio 89.99

There are a few others, oddballs such as AIST, Blade, etc, but they aren't strongly supported. All of the above have extensive training available via books, DVDs, websites, etc.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Sony Vegas and Avid Express. If you can edit on an Avid, you can edit anywhere in the world and be reasonably fast. Vegas is very intuitive, IMO, whether you're dealing with the low cost versions or the higher dollar professional tools. Premiere in the bundle is a great choice, but as a standalone, I feel it's weak, and has a steep learning curve for what it accomplishes. Avid Liquid is a great tool, very fast to use, but requires a MONSTER new computer setup. Canopus Edius is a fair editor, unless you buy into their whole monster system, wherein it becomes a very nice app, and is finding it's way into many broadcast houses now that Canopus is owned by Grass Valley.

If you're deeply interested in sports/video editing, I'm doing a training session on editing extreme sports at the C4 Sports Expo in Las Vegas starting this coming Monday. Bonehead is there in Sony's booth, along with other manufacturers of extreme sports hardware, and editing software.

[edit] Forgot to mention, if you'd like to attend the C4 Sports Expo, PM me, I can arrange for a few free passes. It ain't the WFFC, but since skydivers are into extreme...there is a LOT of it there.

Lots of stuff

You win, I'm lazy :D

My point about iMovie was poorly phrased. I didn't mean that it brought editing below a grand as much as it brought it "to the masses". Before iMovie 1.0, a grandmother would never think to edit her home videos. It really started the [as Jobs would put it...] "Digital Video Revolution" for consumers. It was the Starbucks of home movie editing... coffee existed before, Starbucks made it ridiculously popular.

Those are my two cents, at least. We're doomed to disagree, I'm an Apple guru and you're an Adobe/peecee guru. :P;) At least we both agree that cameras are a good thing to make a living out of.

C4 looks pretty cool...
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Depends on what you need to do, want to do, and dream of doing.
In the Apple world, you have choices of:
iMovie-free
Final Cut Express-299.00
Final Cut Studio-1299.00
Avid Express HD-1599.00

Don't forget Avid XPress DV-495. (I use it.) (Same package also installs on Windoze)

HW

Lots of stuff

You win, I'm lazy :D

My point about iMovie was poorly phrased. I didn't mean that it brought editing below a grand as much as it brought it "to the masses". Before iMovie 1.0, a grandmother would never think to edit her home videos. It really started the [as Jobs would put it...] "Digital Video Revolution" for consumers. It was the Starbucks of home movie editing... coffee existed before, Starbucks made it ridiculously popular.

Those are my two cents, at least. We're doomed to disagree, I'm an Apple guru and you're an Adobe/peecee guru. :P;) At least we both agree that cameras are a good thing to make a living out of.

C4 looks pretty cool...

Actually, I'm an FCS guru too. Certified instructor, etc. I rarely use Adobe, only for AE. I also rarely use FCS tho, mostly for Motion and Shake, and of course, DVD Studio Pro.
If you're in the area, happy to get you into C4. I'll have my Winbook w/me. ;)