DSE

HC3 (again)

Dear All

Having done a few jumps on my HC3 I was really pleased with the results. However, today I did a 2-Way with my brother and got him to dump in front of me so that I could practice getting the 'Tandem deployment' shot.

As I did it I thought 'that's bang on'!

When I landed and watched the footage sure enough I kept Stu in frame as I rolled backwards to get the shot. However as he deployed above me the picture went totally black for a few seconds and then a small white circle appeared in the centre of the screen. This circle was opaque - like looking through rice paper. I could make out my risers as I looked around under canopy and there was some colour but it was like looking through a mosaic of rice paper. I assumed the camera had broken. However I switched it on again and it was back to normal.

Any body know what's going on here???

(Spot, your ccomments would be particularly welcome)

Regards

Red Kite

depending on the conditions... light conditions, etc... the camera may have had difficulty focusing or choosing the correct exposure because of the moisture. so it may have shut down too far and gone dark.

that's my guess, but it sounds like more then just moisture. :S
matt

Hi All

This is the 'apparition' which appeared in the circumstances explained earlier in the thread.

This is just a still from the video of a TV screen. As I said this thing was opaque and colour and movement could just about be detected behind it. Sound was unaffected. It remained ther until I switched the camera off and was gone when I switched on again. This thing was there from about 3 seconds after I flipped onto my back to the end of the footage.

Any offers?

Red Kite

The image suggests that something overloaded the DSP on the camera. I've heard about this from engineers, but have never experienced/seen it myself. I'd be curious to see the actual footage just prior to and post.
Bear in mind that pointing any cam directly at the sun can create all sorts of havoc with the CMOS or CCDs, plus seriously screw with the timing of the DSP. My initial response to the image is that something similar happened here, but would want to see pre and post error frames.

Spot

Thanks for the interim. I should receive my editing software, firewire and card throught he post tomorrow. As soon as I have set it up I will download the footage. I can say that at no time was the camera even remotely pointed at the sun or even near it and the footage of the Tandem opening is fine.

However, as you say there's nothing like seeing it for yourself.

Regards

Paul

PS Probably a stupid idea but could airflow hitting the camera from the rear be a factor? Could the design of the camera be such that high speed air could somehow access 'its insides' and pressure mess with the works?

Hi Everybody (Dr Nick voice)

The Sony HDR HC3 problem......see picture earlier in the thread.

I jumped the camera again today and repeated the backflip to get the 'Tandem Opening Shot.' I didn't touch the camera until I landed. On inspection I noticed that although the camera was still running, the shutter was closed (The HC3 has an electronic shutter which opens when you switch the camera on and closes when you switch off)
When I watched the jump footage all was well until I flipped onto my back....screen goes black and then the white circle appears. I believe that the 'white circle is refracted light entering through the point where the two halves of the shutter meet.

The shutter is made of delicate thin metal - I believe that somehow, flipping onto your back creates some sort of vacuum which causes the shutter to close. The irony is that hanging off the video step and facing the propwash of a PAC750 (which is considerable) has no effect.

The only other corroborative evidence I have for this suggested explanation is that on deployment (it was brisk) the white spot grew into a large diamond for a second and then returned to its circular shape.

What appeared on the video footage was identical to that on my previous jump and at exactly the same point in the backflip manoeuvre.

My instinct is to get rid of the camera. However, the footage generally is fantastic in terms of quality.

I am hoping that putting a wideangle lense or filter over the shutter will negate the vacuum effect........

.....for all of you who don't care either way I apologise......for HC3 owners or prospective owners I will update in due course.

Regards

Red Kite

I'm very curious about what the result would be with a wide angle lens. I bought an HC3 last week after some loooong nights of research trying to decide between it and the A1U. I hope I didn't make a mistake in my choice. [:/] It basically came down to weight difference as I'll be mounting it on my new CCM (helmet made by Wes in DeLand, FL) along with a digital still and external flash. Since it'll be a few more weeks til my CCM is done, I'll be curious as to what other issues (if any), or resolution to the current one you may find.

Thanks for the updates!

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

Hi All (again)

Just to clarify my terminology - the 'thing' that's closing is the lens cover (referred to by me as a shutter) - I am now convinced that airflow is the issue here.

I believe fitting a lens or filter will protect the lens cover/shutter from relative wind and solve the problem. As stated I will update in due course.

For information, in every other respect this is a great camera - colour and general picture quality is exceptional and I haven't even used HD mode yet. The camera is extremely light and has a nice low profile.

As long as my hitherto problem can be solved by the remedy outlined, I would suggest that this cam is a great choice.

Regards
Red Kite.

Dear All

Filter fitted over the automatic lense cap on the HC3 and now no end of backlooping and aerial mucking about effects it.......

I am one relieved HC3 owner.......

Thanks to all who provided input........

Videograhers and Camera Flyers......the people who love you more than your own family!!!!!

Regards

Red Kite

Are you using a wide angle lens with it? I used my HC3 with a Raynox .5 Wide Angle Lens next to my PC-100 with a Kenko .43. I'd like to get closer to the .43 on the HC3 but want to do it with a high quality lens for it, rather than strap on the Kenko .43 with a step up ring (30mm to 37mm).

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers!

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

Are you using a wide angle lens with it? I used my HC3 with a Raynox .5 Wide Angle Lens next to my PC-100 with a Kenko .43. I'd like to get closer to the .43 on the HC3 but want to do it with a high quality lens for it, rather than strap on the Kenko .43 with a step up ring (30mm to 37mm).

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers!

--Jairo

I'm using a .5 sony wide angle.

Matt