Fast

Agonizing between 15mm and 10-22

My $.02 is that I do regret buying the Sigma 15mm.

I don't do much freeflying, I spend most of my time doing 4way and larger RW, with the occaisional tandem. I dislike the 15mm for two reasons:

One - I've never needed anything that wide. Shooting with the 15 requires me to crop every shot. I would much prefer to properly frame the shot by flying properly, than have to crop later.

The flipside is that someone who's starting off who doesn't have great framing skill can use the 15 to fix their shots later.

Two - The fisheye effect on the Sigma 15 is not pronounced enough for "artistic" effect, but far too pronounced for normal shooting. Fortunately it tends to exist near the edges, where I have to crop anyways.

If someone just wants to buy one lens for jumping, I personally would go with the Canon 20. Someone who does a lot of freeflying might want the Sigma 15.

At some point I would like to replace my Sigma 15 with a Canon 20.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Ended up with the sigma 15 which I like, canon 15 would have been nice too, I am getting some really nice pictures, don't know if it would have made the difference.

Its hard to keep clean, I have to do a much better job of that.

here are a bunch of pictures from this weekend.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I noticed the spots. I don't think they are on the sensor I think they are on the lens. I am going to test that soon with some swaping around. I sure hope I haven't managed to get that much on the sensor that fast.

I really have no desire to screw around with cleaning it.

Thanks for the comments on the pictures. The rodeo and swoop picture are not by me (borrowed my camera to someone) but the rest are.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I jump one. It's unbeatable for getting a very wide field of view with very little distortion. I jumped it exclusively at the Herc Boogie because the plane was huge and so were the groups/flocks.

It does weigh a ton, and is very susceptable to fogging if there is any humidity. (That big hunk of class condensing). With the cropping effect of the 10D sized ccd, the "fisheye" on the sigma 15 is greatly reduced. For the money, the sigma 15 is a very good choice.

That is dust on the sensor.

Yeah you're right! I was kiding myself when I thought it might be the lens I guess. Oh well. I managed to dirty the shit out of my focusing screen when I tried to clean it so I am not even gonna mess with the sensor. There is a camera shop here in town that cleans sensors for $10 a pop. I will just take it to them, they even do it "while you wait" so its not like I will be w/o it for a few weeks. I'm hoping they can clean the focusing screen too....

*Sigh*
~D