skyllama29

audio/video mixer

just curious, why is it you guys are using vid mixers as opposed to NLE output? Speed isn't much different, and you can actually be faster, with a lot more options with an NLE, depending on whether you want fancy output, etc for client DVDs.

Price for one. To get a decent NLE system you are going to be looking at $700-1000 min in hardware and software. To do linear editing its a $50-$150 board, a CD player, the onboard camera effects and thats about it. To do a 8 minute video on a NLE its 8 minutes to import the footage(unless you put more $ into hardware acceleration), a few minutes to edit it and another 8 to output it. On linear its 8 minute and I'm done. 8 minutes might not seem like a lot but thats more then enough to really slow the operation down when students are backed up and the video crew is trying to do 20 minute calls once they land.

On NLE systems you can almost have too many options and that can just add time or take away from the core of the video.

I lose some creative control, but I am a lot more careful in the shots I take since I can't drop frames or use a transition to cover up a goof. Granted, its not pure digital and I'm losing some data on the Svideo vs i1394, but overall for home use the quality isn't too bad.

I do use NLE for all my project videos where I have more time to edit with.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I understand all of your points, they make great sense. One small disagreement, is that it doesn't take 8 to output with 8 of ingest. Burning a DVD takes considerably less time than realtime. Regardless, all of your other points are spot-on, I was just curious. Thanks for the explanation.

DVD's are great for picking up a few minutes, but you have to have the computer compile the project and all that stuff in there too. Plus there are still some people out there that want VHS. :S
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm one who stood by NLE over Linear editing for a long time. I finally purchased a linear editing board. The simple truth is I can edit a 6 minute NLE in about 8 minutes. No way I can do that with our NLE system (took about 20-25). Plus the NLE crashed on me so many times I can't count (thanks Mr. Gates) Apart from not being able to time music exactly, the only thing I miss is not being able to add stills from my Rebel.

steveOrino

Plus the NLE crashed on me so many times I can't count (thanks Mr. Gates) Apart from not being able to time music exactly, the only thing I miss is not being able to add stills from my Rebel

If only you had a MAC.:P

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

For DVD, you don't need to compile anything. Again, I know you can edit much faster with a lower quality target result using the vidmix workflow, but....no compilation needs to happen.
If you have say...8 minutes of ingest from the client's jump, you are locked into that 8 mins. You're editing on the fly using your cam or deck, and that works fine. Where the two workflows diverge is that you can capture directly to mpeg, and have a bunch of assets already created such as a fun intro to the jump sequence, and a fun outtro to the jump sequence, which is already done and in mp2 and ac3 format. You've captured as mp2/ac3, so there is no compiling, it's a straight burn. You could do a 15 minute DVD in less than 3 minutes on output.
Again, you've still got to edit on ingest like you already are, so I don't know that a non-mixer workflow would save time, and if you don't have a computer/DVD burner, it's more expensive to use NLE anyway.
One of the aspects of our regular business is training broadcasters about new technology and techniques to get content to air quickly. Getting stills, etc to air is critical for them in many situations. Granted, they're not turning loads as fast as chutes can be repacked, but it's not much different overall. 8 minutes is a very long time to them as well.
I'm not debating whether one workflow is better or not, just interested in knowing why one workflow may or may not be preferential to some folks.
Once again, thanks for the info.