martimarr

cheap starter video camera?

Listen before you guys brake your necks to be the first one on here to tell me to do a search on this let me save you the trouble,
I did do a search ,and all I could find was alot of post were a person asked for a simple opinion and only gets some a*$ HOLE who has nothing better to do than take the time to post "do a search ". If you don't want to give your opinion than thats cool but please don't tell me to search. I tried theres to much "use a search " garbage that you cant get to anything ,talk about wasting space.

That being said ( vain in head subsides)
I want to start filming my jumps and would like to know what you guys think is most important when choosing a video camera /type , options , that kind of thing , as I dont know crap about them.

But when doing my initial search it seems that most folks seem to think you should have 1000 jumps before you even thinking about it. Is that true?

Of course I'm going to ask the Guys at my DZ but won't be there for a while and would like a wider opinion.
thanks

Q: How much experience should a person have before starting to fly camera?
A: 200 jumps and a USPA C-Licence or FAI equivalent is recommended. See USPA SIM Section 6-8.

Until that point... its not worth putting money towards a camera that will be outdated by the time you get to that point and have spent at least another $4000 in jumps ;)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

plus if you notice the way the consumer video market works... especially sony. it seems every 6 months there is a WHOLE new line of cameras out. that being said i think the worst part is that each new line seems to have a new type of battery so a few seasons down the road when you transition from using it to save your jumps via firewire to putting it on your head you may be up the creek looking for batteries at a reasonable price. [:/]

In a few months (afer you get your 200 jumps;)) Keep in mind most vidiots use SONY.

While there are advantages buying new, I have been very successful in buying "last year's" model on Ebay for 1/2 the price it would cost new.

Some prefer you to buy new and a warranty. i say no.

let's use an HC46 for example: retail $500 + $200 warranty.

basic same camera on Ebay but a few models ago (1 year) HC40: $250

Break it? Buy another oine for less than you paid for the first. Plus if you send in in for warranty you are without a camera for 2-3 weeks. Buy one on Ebay and have it overnighted for $25. I've been doing this for the past three years and I'm very happy with it.

I hope that is good advice, now get those jumps and experience!:)

steveOrino