videointhesky

Sony HDR-HC1 or HVR-A1U

What are the advantages of the of the Sony HVR-A1U over the Sony HDR-HC1?

All I can tell from this Comparison Table of HDR-HC1 and HVR-A1
http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com/article.php?filename=Comparison-Table-of-HDR-HC1-and-HVR-A1

The A1 has better audio & can record in DVCAM
the Cost of the A1 is $500.00 to $1000.00
more than the HC1.

Have I missed anything between these two HDV camcorders?

If you are a A1 or a HC1 user I would like to hear
what your comments are.

Videointhesky
www.freefall-video.com

Not sure exactly what you mean by downconverter, but I have two friends with HC1's and have dumped their footage onto my normal DV camera.

You need the A1 to downconvert from HDV recorded footage to DV. If the camera recorded DV already then you have no problem.

I saw one HC1 that COULD downconvert, this could either be a fluke (it just seems to be different firmware!) or maybe all USA camera's don't have this problem. All European camera's do have this issue, and it was a real pain in the *%^ for some of the cameramen and for me during WorldTeam 2006, because they couldn't record HDV without losing too much time borrowing other camera's, too late for debriefing.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

here's a link to a pretty detailed review of the HVR-A1U... http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/articles/A1U/HVR-A1U.htm
Under the 'Output' section read this quote...
"This camcorder can downsample the HDV to DV on the output, or send a 1080i stream directly to hardware if that's what you'd prefer to do in the recording stage. Imagine being able to take a low-cost HDV camcorder like the HVR-A1U and connect it to an HD/SDI converting system, recording HD/SDI straight into a computer or deck! Of course, like all its predecessors, the A1U also is capable of shooting DV. Just like it's bigger and slightly older brother, the A1U can also acquire in DVCAM, making this even more accessible to professional shooters."
Aside from that i see most of the gains in audio options with the removeable mount ontop of te camera. There are a bunch of nice options deeper in the camera, but if you're not going to be using it on the ground with the need for the audio options i'm not sure it'd be worth it over the lower model.[:/]

matt

Yes, I use wide angles on my A1.

In Thailand we've tested many different brands.

Although I never was a fan of Raynox lenses they came out with a new range for high resolution (600 lines). The 0.3 had the biggest angle and best overall sharpness. I assume the new 0.5 will have the same sharpness. Also the Raynox lenses are very ligth weight.

Besides the Raynox we tested my Century Optics 0.3 and 0.5, Emson 0.38 and 0.5, Kenko 0.42 and Hama 0.45. Although all were pretty sharp in the centre they the were not as sharp as the cheap Raynox lenses and all were not sharp in the corners.

The Hama 0.45 for 52 mm was very sharp too because it only uses the center of the lens.

After Thailand I've tested some more lenses but it appears that the new HDV camera needs High Resolution lenses for best results. All my lenses I was very happy with are not sharp enough for my new camera. OK, I'm spoiled :-)

I've ordered both Raynox lenses and will look for more high resolution lenses. I'm sure other manufacturers will come with high res lenses soon.

** Know what you say but don't say all you know. **

I should get my A1 from B&H Photo on Friday

Thanks for the web sites info on the A1

I would like to know which wide angle lens that you
finally chose to use on the A1.

Would you mind sharing any tips that you have on setting up the A1

Thanks Again Everyone for the Info on the A1

Videointhesky

I assume you got your camera today and are playing with it so you are prepared for the weekend. You can't wait to jump it.

I use several different wide angles (or sometime even without a wide angle) all depending on the kind of skydiving and the shots I have in mind. For freefall I prefer as wide as possible (0.25 - 0.30). Under canopy about 0.5. On the ground mainly no front lens and some zoom to make dramatic shots of expressions of movements.

Let us know your first results.

Henny

I've not tried the new Raynox lenses on a miniDV camera yet but there's a big difference in quality between all different brands.

The new Raynox lenses claim to have a quality of about 540 to 600 lines in the centre. I always tried to explain it simple and from what I understood the quality reference is:
- VHS can see about 200 lines
- S-VHS about 300
- MiniDV about 400
- HDV about 500 - 600

The older Raynox, Kenko, Hama, etc. lenses have max 350 lines. My feeling is that single piece lenses have even a little less.

The better the lens the less you loose on quality. You can easily check the difference in quality by putting the camera on a tripod and make still shots with different lenses. Analyze these pictures and you will be amazed about the differences you find.

Yes I did get my A1 on Friday
It is almost the same size as my TRV-20 that I have been using.

I’m going to set up another camera helmet (I will call Brain II, Brain I http://freefall-video.com/images/helmetPhotos/index.htm ) with the A1 and a 5D or my 20D with a 580ex flash. So I have not jumped the A1 yet. I ordered a Raynox HD 5005 .5 wide angle lens which show up this week.
So while I’m waiting for parts to show up for the new helmet I will be able to go over the operating manual and work with the A1 and get to figure out how everything works. I do like the center marker for sighting in the camera and sight.

I have notice that when I plug in the Cm Eye II in to the lanc jack the eye cup will not close all of the way. So I may have to leave the eye cup up some so the Came Eye II plug fits into the jack with no pressure on it. I would have liked the battery release to have been on the top and not the bottom. So far there is nothing that I have a problem with.

What tapes are you using? Do you have any thoughts on Sony’s PHDVM-63DM or DVM63HD tapes? I have been using the Sony DVM60EXL in my TRV-20.

What settings are you using for recording and playback? From the operating manual there are many settings to choose from. I have used manual focus set to infinity, white balance to the daylight setting, steady shot on and shutter speed at mostly 60 or faster depends on how much light there is. Have you used the slower shutter speeds in freefall?
I would think that videoing swooping canopy's with a slower shutter speed would make for an interesting effect.

I will let you know how the A1 works when I get it into the air.

Videointhesky

I borrowed a couple HC-1's for the Keys Boogie last year and it has an option in the menu to convert HDV to DV for display or taping. When you convert the video, it displays it in widescreen. No external devices or computer programs to convert. Great camera! Wish I could afford it right now...

I borrowed a couple HC-1's for the Keys Boogie last year and it has an option in the menu to convert HDV to DV for display or taping. When you convert the video, it displays it in widescreen. No external devices or computer programs to convert. Great camera! Wish I could afford it right now...

Exactly! I still don't understand why people in this thread are saying it can't. It outputs 16:9 DV footage, simple as that (which is fine with me since I shoot my DV in 16:9 already).
www.WingsuitPhotos.com