sky-pimp

picture quality

now this has probably been talked about before , if so please point me to the link ;);)

So video cameras , there are a lot out there , what i keep askin myself is why do people fly with a video cam and a stills cam.

why not just pull stills of the video footage and have less clutter with you in the air ?

is it because there is not a good enofe product (video cam) on the market ? or do most have a setup they like and do not want to replace it ?

YeHaaaaaaaaaaa

Sony DCR PC330 - stills form the video are at 640 * 480
Canon EOS 20D or 350D 3456 x 2304

Just better quality... Simple... Maybe when thay start combining a very good video camera with a 8 or 12 megapixel still camera you'll start seing people changing their setup...

P.

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

A still pulled from video can't compare to the quality you get from a still camera. The difference is huge!

The attached photo demonstrates the kind of quality you can get from a still camera. Not even a pro video cam can achieve this.

Atle
See what I'm saying? Thats what I'm saying! What am I saying? I DON'T KNOW!!

Think of it this way......

A video camera takes ~30 pictures every second for as long as your tape lasts (1 hour)

A very nice, expensive digital still camera will take about 3 to 4 pictures a second and only for about 9 or 10 seconds.

Full resolution digital images are simply too huge in terms of file size to be taking 30 of them per second.

A typical still from my 10D is greater than 2mb. At 30 frames per second that would be 60mb/s (transfer rate problem) so a 1 minute video would be 360mb. An hour would be 21600mb or ~21 gig (storage problem). I'm sure someone will pick apart my math, what with rounding errors and all, but you get the idea.

There are a few things out there that will allow you to get stills and moving picture from one device but I suppose that none of them will serve you for non professional usage as they are bulky or expensive or both.
You can use a small 35mm film motion picture camera and print the stills from that ( I believe they used that for Prez Bush Senior), processing and telecine will be expensive. You can try using a DALSA 4K digital film camera but for that youll need one hell of a parachute to land safely. Or you can get yourself a new panasonic HD camera that shoots on P2 cards the 200 something model and pull stills of moderate quality from that. Other than that wait a while for technology to catch up.

I am just bored thats why I post
Pointy birds
Oh pointy pointy
Anoint my head
Anointy nointy

I posted this before in another thread:

2 in one camera. Digital video and 5 MP still camera.
Still very new technology and the drawback with this unit is that you can not use both at the same time.

Sony has a huge following because of their proven track record and reliability. I dont know much about Samsung so I can't comment on the rigors that skydiving has on this equipment.

http://tinyurl.com/dw3lo

Too much shit for one object. Why not attach an MP3 player and PEZ dispenser while we're at it. If I'm walking around taking serious photographs I don't want a video camera attached. I'm walking around shooting video I don't want a camera attached.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Too much shit for one object. Why not attach an MP3 player and PEZ dispenser while we're at it. If I'm walking around taking serious photographs I don't want a video camera attached. I'm walking around shooting video I don't want a camera attached.

emmmmm[:/][:/]
my intention for this thread was to find out if there was a video camera+stills camera that was an all in one unit good enofe and small enofe to use skydiving(not walking around) . from replys so far it look like there is not but any constructive remarks are all welcome , i quess my thinking behind 'why not have a system that is all in one ' was so your not carrying so much gear , and less snagging points on ya helmet !
Mp3's would be a silly distration to the job at hand , and over here in england we don't get PEZ dispencers !!!!:o:P;)

YeHaaaaaaaaaaa