Widgeon

4 Way Video: Getting Started

Mike, read the information on Pauls web site, its good stuff. The only other advise I can give you is,, get started. Be sure your belly flying skills are above average and get out there and try.
The most frustrating part is getting the exits down, which given the fact that you are at a king air DZ is just a little tough, that aircraft is not the "norm" for 4 way. Be careful and take things slow. Learn what the burble feels like and learn how steep you can fly above the formation without falling through the burbble.
It's going to take some time and patience but you will get there. Don't over state your ability to the group you are videoing, let them know you are just starting and trying to learn.
Don't expect to get paid, or for that matter even have your jumps paid for until you are consistantly competient at what you are doing. Be prepared to pay for your own slots and do the best you can.
Take your time, your skills will improve. Titusville is hit and miss with the number of people doing 4 way on a regular basis, so take what you can get. Shooting 4 way video is alot of fun, but its also alot of work to get good at. If you have any other questions drop me a PM or give me a call.

From the perspective of a newbie 4way guy who worked with a few video guys who were learning too, here are the "priorities" as they relate to video:

Don't fall thru the formation. It is better to be high and far as the team can walk up to the TV and still see what they need to see than find you joining them.

Get the exits... As a novice team, our biggest workons related to the exits most of the time. Framing up the point and tail is just as important as the center.

Be the most reliable member of the team - being there for the mockup, for the jump, and having the video ready to debrief before the team gets to the TV. Heck, our video guy even managed the manifest process too while we were debrifing.

Advanced skills... If the team is having levels problems, I saw a video guy drop down to our level to our side and get a perspective that really helped... He knew what we were learning and thought like the coach, knowing what would be the best view for the problems at hand.

That being said, our team last year was super lucky with who we had working with us. Rock stars with little experience in the sport! Only one guy let us down on his own skills - he could not get our exits and he fell thru the formation often.

one thing you have to learn which out 4-way coach pointed out to me.....training days are for YOUR training too......i was using a trailing exit cause i wasnt very confident with my leading exit...although the leading exit is better for debriefing and getting the grips rather then trailing. So learn your exits and make your mistakes during training days...not at competitions, your team will expect you to perform flawlessly during competitions.
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

So learn your exits and make your mistakes during training days...not at competitions, your team will expect you to perform flawlessly during competitions.

It is completely unrealistic to expect perfection -- ever. Nobody ever bats 1000.

Please believe me when I tell you that pressuring team mates and attempting perfection almost guarantees failure.

Give your best effort. That's all anyone can ask.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver