Thanatos340

HC40 vs HC42 and other First Camera Questions.

I have spent the past couple days searching and reading everything I can in this forum. I am starting to put together my First Camera Helmet and still have a few Questions that I couldn’t find answers/opinions for using the search function.
(Yes, I am aware that I should have atleast another 50 Jumps before I start Jumping Camera)

1. I have narrowed my Camera Choice down to either the HC40 or the HC42. Im finding HC40`s for around $390 and HC42`s for $460..( Good Prices??). Does the HC42 really have any extra useable features that make it worth the extra $70??

2. I considered the PC109 but it seemed to be about $300 more everywhere I looked (Around $700). Am I missing something that would make the PC109 worth an extra $300?

3. Lens Choice. I Plan on using this setup to mainly Video friends Fun Jumps and eventually Coach Jumps once I get my rating. I am looking at getting the Diamond 0.3 or Stealth 0.5. Which would best general purpose all around Lens?

4. Helmet: I decided on a Rawa. So far it looks like Aerostore is the only place I can find online that stocks these Helmets. Anywhere else I should check?

I have an HC42 and I bought it because of the wide aspect ratio feature....which has been discussed in another thread in here somewhere.

The only problem with that in a skydiving milieu is firewiring to and from other people might create a bit of a mess. You can use it in the usual 4:3 mode if you don't want to shoot widescreen.

I don't know if the HC40 uses the docking station like the HC42...I find the docking station is a pain in the a**....carry it to and from the computer to the TV rather than just carry the camcorder.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

These two cameras are very similar In fact they should be basically the same cameras the 42 is merely a newer model.

The primary difference between the HC-20, 32, 40, 42 seemed to be the Still capture (i.e. Photo mode settings...) at least that was my impressions. The wide screen on the 42 doesn't seem to be all that important. Now if it was HD then it would be different... ':)'

I bought the Sony 0.6 which seems wide enough fot most of the things I use it for (Fun Jumps, Coaching, and I use it for RW Vids...)

I like my RAWA after I tried one on for sizing I ordered it custom based on my camera choice and Head size.

I hope this doesn't confuse you even more...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

The HC-40 does not use a docking station. It has a firewire (1394) port and a Sony AV port onboard. Both seem like good, solid cameras overall.

I've been using an HC-40 with a Stealth 0.5x lens for a full season, and it's performed very well.

Lance

Then I'd buy the HC40 over the HC42 for skydiving purposes. My HC42 is just getting used for videoing my kids, etc. It's a good camera but for jumping I'd prefer to have Firewire and AV out built into the camera.

I used a Diamond .3 to just video every skydive and loved it. It was great of PFF (AFF) jumps as well.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

This thread is very helpful! (information and opinions up to date)

Please keep it coming!

Hey Jay, I am buying one in the next couple days as well, I wish we could get a group discount!! :D

"I know it's friday night, but come on. Surely there's something better to do than yell at people on the internet?" - Tom A.