outlawphx

Did My First Camera Jumps This Weekend

So I got my first jumps with a camera on my head, and they went well. I'm jumping a bonehead optik and a top mounted TRV22 in a bonehead box with a Sony 0.6x. I'm not using a sight or dot or anything else, but I still managed to keep the camera centered enough for my purposes (freeflying).

It felt secure side to side and it won't come off forwards, but I'm a little concerned about it coming off backwards. Twice on openning, the chin cup slid off my chin and up over my mouth. I bought what was supposed to be a medium, and it turned out to be a L-XXL. I'm thinking I might have to swap it out for a medium....

I was a little nervous about bumping the top mount in the Otter, but it wasn't a problem. I'm 6', but I still had clearance. The only thing I remembered to look out for are the extra pipes on the ceiling that they added for oxygen.

I bought what was supposed to be a medium, and it turned out to be a L-XXL. I'm thinking I might have to swap it out for a medium....

If you've drilled holes in it, good luck. You'll have to sell it used.

But, yes....DO make that change. You're going to lose your helmet on opening someday if you don't. What fits snug up at altitude will lose it's 'snugness' down at opening altitude. It has to fit tight up top for it to hold on at pull-time.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Lori is right, in both aspects. since you've modified the helmet. it's yours! and if its that big on your head you need to downsize. did you notice any vibration when viewing the vid? if it was loose you may have an annoying constant shake of you video.

I jump the same set up- Optik with trv22. and so deos a friend of mine. when he jumped his the first few times it was loose and he got a shake in the video even with the steady shot on.
My photos

My Videos

Just to clarify... I bought it used, so when I say "swap it out", I meant sell it used and buy a medium ;)

I didn't have any headshake on the video, as it's pretty tight. The problem being the angle which the chin strap connects to my chin. Rather than coming at something like a 45 degree angle (giving equal pressure for the helmet rotating forward or back), it's angled forward because the attachment point is too low.

ok is it something that the extra padding will fix?
if you put more padding in it it will make your chin sit further out of the bottom of the helmet.

it seems odd that it fits your head but its not right on your chin. can you post a pic?
My photos

My Videos

ok is it something that the extra padding will fix?
if you put more padding in it it will make your chin sit further out of the bottom of the helmet.

it seems odd that it fits your head but its not right on your chin. can you post a pic?

The problem with adding extra padding up top is that it means I'll have even less forehead area covered. I think the helmet would fit better if the front portion came down further on my forehead.

Also, the liner has 4 inserts (the shell fits L-XXL based on the number of inserts).

Here's a couple pics. It's strange that the helmet won't rotate forward, but it will slide off backwards if I put pressure on the top front. I guess I need a big 'ole chin :D

[

Also, the liner has 4 inserts (the shell fits L-XXL based on the number of inserts).

Here's a couple pics. It's strange that the helmet won't rotate forward, but it will slide off backwards if I put pressure on the top front. I guess I need a big 'ole chin :D

Linda here (3 inserts) 1-large,2-XL,3-XXL as they get thinner as you go.

Good luck and let me know.

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

Hey Dave,

As you know I have the same helmet. I have a large helmet too, but I have a massive head to fill it nicely. When I tighten it it fits so tight that it's hard to loosen after I land. If you can't get the helmet that tight the helmet must be way too big. Talk to Ash over at Square 2, he helped me alot when I was shopping for a camera helmet. They had a used one over there that was too small for my nogen, maybe it'll fit yours well. I don't know if it was an Optik, or if it's still there, but it's worth a try. And talk to Ash, he's been camera guy for Airspeed, so I'm sure he's pretty knowledgable.

http://www.SkydiveVids.com

I took another pad out of the top of the helmet and moved the chin straps to the inside. It won't come off backwards now, so it's not going anywhere. I'm still tempted to get a medium though, since it's too wide to side mount a new camera in the future.

I did talk to Ash, and I tried on their medium over at Square 2. It fit nice and snug, and that's what I thought I was getting when I bought my current helmet. Question is, is it worth the $100 loss I'd take on my current Optik to get something with a little slimmer profile...

Question is, is it worth the $100 loss I'd take on my current Optik to get something with a little slimmer profile...

What's the price of your camera(s)?

ltdiver

Well, with the payout on my homeowner's policy would pay for a nice side mountable model >:( :D

Actually, the helmet is not coming off now. Taking off another top shim put my head further up in the bucket, the ladder straps on the inside are holding the chin cup closer, and someone here mentioned checking that the chin cup might be upside down (and it was).

Thanks JT! I turned the chin cup over and it did help.

Cool, Glad it helped. One thing aobut a top mount is that you only have ONE line of sight to worry about, assuming your still cam is top mounted as well. See attached.

I know its a P.I.T.A. in the plane but once you get used to it it's no big deal....I bet I'd say the same thing about a side mount video and a top mount still, though
My photos

My Videos

Its a APS FILM cam. I know its like a dinosaur but theres a gfew small problems I see with digital... FINACIALLY.

I only goof around filming tandems on weekends so Film will do for now. but the REAL problems are:
--A good digi cam cost min. $1000

--You need a way to burn the Pictures to Disc. I.E. LAPTOP that costs Min. $1000.

--the Helmet I am jumping isnt good for a bulky still cam I would need/like a Flat top pro Min. $650.

at this tiem I dont have that kinda money to throw out the window. the way its been lately is that I've been spending more Money on maintaining the gear. (see my sig line, Sony repair sucks) and since I'm KNOW I am getting pictures I dont feel bad about making the student pay for developing.:ph34r::ph34r:

I spend a LOT of money on developing before I started flying tandems. I still do film fun jumps and develop the pictures but not as often any more. that would be one advantage of DIGI. along with instant gratification, print quality stills and ability to delete
My photos

My Videos

It does have 4 inserts. Maybe the guy I bought it from added another one :S

What I am talking about is the amount of liners that we can put in a particular size shell, not the shims in that liner.

Glad it all worked out.
Be safe and share some of your photos.B|

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

It does have 4 inserts. Maybe the guy I bought it from added another one :S

What I am talking about is the amount of liners that we can put in a particular size shell, not the shims in that liner.

Glad it all worked out.
Be safe and share some of your photos.B|

Will do ;) Thanks for all your help Linda!