StevePhelps

Any good way to erase DV tapes?

why not just "overwrite" it, leave the lens cap on and hit record, or if you don't have a quiet place... put it in VTR mode, just hit record with no inputs...

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Never ever ever erase a tape. Record pefect black before you use it perhaps, but tape is way too cheap to justify erasing or overtaping real footage.

C.

Brother Wayward's rule of the day...
"Never ever ever go skydiving without going parachuting immediately afterwards."
100% PURE ADRENALENS

Okay, here is what I do ...

I use original new tapes on all paying videos (tandem,AFF, coach, etc), BUT I edit on a computer and "export to tape" the final product. Yes, tapes are cheap if bought in bulk, which I do, but why not reuse the tapes for the "export to tape" procedure?

The other suggestion -- taping with lens cover on, is too much of a waste of time and subjects the heads to more use.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
There are tape erasers out there -- I simply wanted to know if you guys found a decently priced used one any where.

I use original new tapes on all paying videos

Like ya work!

BUT I edit on a computer and "export to tape" the final product.

So why worry about erasing? If it's an export to tape for a final, you shouldn't have any timecode issues, just burn over the previous final.

Personaly I dont erase anything - the unpaid stuff I shoot is just as important to me as the paid.

C.

PS

Imagine if you'd had footage of Monica L back when "the" story broke. Even better if she'd looked down the barrel and declared "thats better than sex"...:)

"Never ever ever go skydiving without going parachuting immediately afterwards."
100% PURE ADRENALENS

BUT I edit on a computer and "export to tape" the final product.

So why worry about erasing? If it's an export to tape for a final, you shouldn't have any timecode issues, just burn over the previous final.

Because, once or twice --- in several hundred, I've had a glitch where the previous tape showed through. PLUS, I not only shoot video for my DZ but also edit. One videographer reuses tapes on every jump -- saves nothing. That is HIS choice not mine. Again, once or twice I get a glitch that shows the previous tape -- I thought I'd help his quality of video too. ;)

I put the tape in an 'old' DV cam put the lens cap on...put it in a quiet cupboard and just let it record.

I then mark the tape to indicate it has been 'striped' and make a note on the tape how many times it has been striped.
Personally I use the same tape 5 times ...( I have noticed some deterioration...not alot...but some after 5-10 recordings)

Bummer...I threw away about 10 big degaussers about two months ago .....we simply dont use them anymore since we moved over fully to recording cardiac 24hr tapes to digital :(

I usualy just plug it into my PC, put premiere on a black (blanc) frame, and then just hit record on my cam. It then records perfect silence and black video.

I usualy try to capture all jumps after a weekend of jumping, and export then to my compilation tapes (tandem/wingsuit etc) so I can then empty the orinal tapes I used that day (and still have all jumps stored on DV, but without a ton of ground stuff, just exits to opening)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Lemme try that link again...

http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp?baseItem=24%2D006&cat=TESTTOOLS&subcat=&prodClass=BULKERASE&mfg=&search=0&off=

Again, all care, no idea...

If the the link wont work again, cut and paste this...

http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp?baseItem=24%2D006&cat=TESTTOOLS&subcat=&prodClass=BULKERASE&mfg=&search=0&off=

Cheers,
C.

100% PURE ADRENALENS