Jessica

"Loft Standards"

This was posted on the Chuting Star Rigging Loft site. It's very interesting. Do you guys agree with all this stuff? Would you be OK with getting a bill for $25 more than you thought for fixing something you didn't know was wrong with your gear? (I would, as long as I knew up front that it was a possibility -- which I guess I would if I read the Loft Standards.)

Here they are:

Loft Standards

General
1. Manufacturer manuals and FAA regulations are strictly followed for all canopy, container and AAD assembly, inspections, repacks and repairs.
2. If necessary, minor repairs will be made during the assembly, inspection and repack process without immediate customer notification.
3. Customer will be notified immediately if extensive or major repairs (more than $25) are necessary.

Reserve Canopies
1. All sport reserve canopies with metal links must have either fabric, vinyl or silicone slider bumpers. If bumpers are not present, a set will be installed.
2. Performance Designs reserve canopies must have an annual fabric strength test, per manufacturer requirements. Unknown stains on all reserves will be subject to a fabric strength test. Reserves without a strength test requirement will be tested at a 5 year interval from the date of manufacture.

AADs
1. Cypres batteries must be under 2 years old through the repack cycle.
2. Service requirements and expiration dates will be followed.

Main Canopies
1. Attached main canopies will be removed for reserve inspection and repack.
2. Packed main canopies will be reattached and opened following reserve inspection and repack to check line continuity.
3. Main canopies will be repacked unless otherwise requested.
4. Main repack by rigger includes line check, untwisting of steering lines, rubber band replacement (if necessary) and general inspection while packing.

Gear Life Span
1. We highly recommend retiring gear at 15-20 years from the original date of manufacture.
2. This loft will not service gear more than 25 years old.
Skydiving is for cool people only

Sounds fair to me. They give you notice in advance about their policy, this keeps them from having to track you down to notify you of every little necessary repair. Would you want them to just set your rig to the side and not finish it until they contact you? Most people wouldn't and most people would be pissed if they went to pick up their rig on Friday night before a Boogie and were told it wasn't done because the loft was unable to reach them.

In my area, an automobile repair shop can add up to 10% to their estimate before they have to notify the owner.

If you trust your rigger to look out for your safety, then you trust him to only make repairs if he feels they are necessry. Would you let $25.00 stand between you and your safety? If you don't like it, you can take your gear elsewhere.

I would be perfectly happy.. Infact its happened to me. Bought my rig and got it repacked staight away. Got it back the next week with half the velcro replaced. B| $30 more ontop of the price of a repack? bounce because of poorly maintained gear? you choose :P:)

I'm perfectly alright with their policy. This is an expensive sport, as anyone with a rig knows all too well, right? :) They are up front about it, and it's fundamentally a safety issue. Basically, if my rigger says my rig needs something, I'm not going to argue, I'm going to hand over the cash to make it right.

I'll add that Chutingstar is my local rigging loft, and that Mike Gruwell (proprietor of the loft) took me on my first tandem jump. I trust the guy.

Luke

" Sometimes you de windshield, an' sometimes you de bug!"

Don't just eat a hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
-Ivan Stang

Makes sense to me.
That is standard operating procedure in the better lofts.
Many times I did $35 worth of repairs and only charged the customer $25 because it was too much of a hassle to get up from the sewing machine, look up his number and play phone tag for the next three days.
Oh and how about the customer who had caller-ID block all my attempts at calling him for a month?
Remember, riggers only get paid while they are packing. They play phone tag for free.

Gear Life Span
1. We highly recommend retiring gear at 15-20 years from the original date of manufacture.
2. This loft will not service gear more than 25 years old.

My reserve turned 24 this month. It's older than most of my students now!
...mikeB|
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

I like their policies. $25 wouldn't phase me at all. More than that, and I'd like a call. I know I'd say go ahead and fix it but would like to be prepared when the bill comes. :)

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.