StevePhelps

Envious of you vidiots who can fly on your back

Definitley a good tool for those passengers who just want to look down.... Once I started flying on my back, I realized I was doing it too much, makes for a boring video with nothing but plain sky for a background. I think its good to be under it, over it, and level with it. I also think its great taking grips with the passenger, alot of them like it. I know Ill get hammered for this here, but I see nothing wrong with flying directly under the tandem. It will speed up, and as long as you speed up with it, you wont make contact. This is possible for the entire skydive, although it makes for a bland video. Very important to have good gear , and pre dive checks with this for obvious reasons. We dont use hackys, we use the low profile wedge pillows. As for the wings, I fought the idea of not using them for a long time, and eventually found that I have more range without them. Alot of good flyers(fritz and eli being the first) tried to convince me of this, and I refused to try. Once I did, I was very surprised at the increase in range. 185 to 200 lbs before gear no problem. One of our guys tops out at 235 and can do it, although he feels he is working too hard!! With wings, you cannot fly with your arms dierectly behind you, which also prevents you from completely reverse arching. I would highly suggest trying it and I wish I would have years ago, but I fought the idea due to my being an idiot.

Zee, nice video man... Damn I love seeing that kind of stuff. Steve, for a guy who wants to fly on his back, you seem to be able to do a badass job of filming tandems... good video, that passenger just wanted to look down, and you got the shot. As for back flying, I like to check out arvel, from raeford... quiet guy who you wont see talking shit, but will blow you away with his ability... OLD guy who can kick all of our young asses, great example of wingless videography. It always interests me to find that the guys who speak the least have the most to teach...

Very impressive backflying.

I won't condone the sliding under someone since I did it this last weekend to RW'ers. I'm going to have to try and do it with out my wings. I've always felt that since I seem to rely on them so much as is backflying, that I'd need them to backfly effectivly. Currently I do a lazy boy recliner with the butt way low and the feet about lower chest level and hang on the wing.

Got any tips for us trying to learn to backfly wingless?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Dude, you know you have just cursed me :S

I am sure I will wack a passenger now!!!!

I do know a lot of TM's who are not very comfortable with a camera person under them, however; once they jump with one of us who have done it and can get in and out of the area, they seem much more at ease. I too do not use a hacky, I am a Racer man with a POP and NO AAd (just one less thing to kill the TM/customer). It saved my ass a month ago when the TM did not chunk the drouge and my FF skills allowed me to get the shot, and then he pulled a little lower than normal ;)

Anyway, OLD!!!!! Yep, 47 on Sat 14 May, going on 12 :D, stay safe Dave!!

Arvel (Whos your daddy............ask your mama)
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

Thank ya guys - Yeah, I put that together a long time ago - BASE video was shot by Eric Santee and Grey Fowler, I did the rest.

As far as twisting her hand off well, she's got another oneB|. Actually, we tried it on the ground first and she said it felt like holding a serving tray. These days I roll the other way so the the students hand always faces down - just in case.:D:D:D

I still don't get how either of you can fall so slow on your back without wings though - I'm 6'4 and a good 250 with gear. Every time I've tried flying like that without wings I feel the vortex twisting off my toes as I watch the tandem go bye bye.;)

Peace,
Z

Action©Sports

Got any tips for us trying to learn to backfly wingless?

I've spent about 20 mins + in both tunnels backflyiong and a modified sitfly. I weigh in at 260+/- without gear. What I've found for backflying in and out of the tunnel is legs open, 90 at the knees and hips then your arms striaght above you or just a little to the sides and PUSH DOWN is the mor important thing. Also look straight up, not at your feet or knees, that'll cause your back to de-arch and you'll just fall like a rock.

It's almost like a sit, though instead of your arms behind you, they're above you. Keep the 90's and look up. It's amazing what you can do on yoru back, especially while FF'ing. If someone corks out, you just pop and go. Even with faster fallers on their belly I can fly on my back with them, great for full deployment shots.

It takes awhile to get used to, but works well. The transition from belly to back and back I did in the tunnel as a half barrel roll, pop up just a little before going onto my back kept me in place on my mark, going back to belly was much easier.

Edit; to add my horrible drawing skills demonstrating what I learned in the tunnels etc
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Zee, nice video man... Damn I love seeing that kind of stuff. Steve, for a guy who wants to fly on his back, you seem to be able to do a badass job of filming tandems... good video, that passenger just wanted to look down, and you got the shot. As for back flying, I like to check out arvel, from raeford... quiet guy who you wont see talking shit, but will blow you away with his ability... OLD guy who can kick all of our young asses, great example of wingless videography. It always interests me to find that the guys who speak the least have the most to teach...

Yeah, I've seen videos of his ... awesome stuff! I'd like to meet Arvel. Maybe I will when my son graduates SF. I look forward to going back to Smoke Bomb Hill and see how much has changed. I'll bring my rig and stop by Raeford and try to find Arvel.

Here's a clip of me....and yeah, it's more of a modified sit/backflying. It would be tough without wings for me...I've become accustomed to laying back on them.....and I love jumping in shorts.

at the end of the clip is what I see on opening, but take a look at them line twists. The TM almost broke his hand due to it getting stuck in between the risers.

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=2292
my pics & stuff!

You ment GK "OLD" Guy?!?!?! That is kind of behind the sense dirty ;), you know us FIRED guys don't discuss da-past. It brings back many a drunk night, and thoughts of spiraling down, land, wave, run behind the stage, and HURL!!! :S Go to bar and repeat!!!

Anyway, I started my back-flying when it was required to get your Freak Brothers #, you know they were the "real" FF (Freak Flyers).

Love you man, stay safe!!

Arvel

Steve, can't wait to have you in our area!! Congrats on the son in SF, best of luck to him!!

Your cartoons are great!!! I had a friend a long time ago do some cartoon work, here are some of the ones I have managed to save. These were done in 1979 in Germany by Nate Flower, they are me and Pat Hemenway and we were back flying back in da-day!!

Arvel