linuxguy

Barigo Vs Altimaster III

Cool Thanks for the info

This may be a stupid question, but was Just wondering - when you take an alti on an airplane with you in your hand luggage, does it get affected at all, because you are flying above 30 000ft - way beyond what the alti can read.
Do you need to do anything to before / after your flight before you jump with it ( besides of course callibrating it to 0, wherever you are gonna jump from)

Cool Thanks for the info

This may be a stupid question, but was Just wondering - when you take an alti on an airplane with you in your hand luggage, does it get affected at all, because you are flying above 30 000ft - way beyond what the alti can read.
Do you need to do anything to before / after your flight before you jump with it ( besides of course callibrating it to 0, wherever you are gonna jump from)

If you carry it with you there is no problem, the cabin is pressurized, if you check you luggage, that puppy will make several turns. I've traveled several times with my alti in my carry-on bag, no problem.

...so when you're in a 747 at 30'000ft and the hand on your alti begins screaming round clockwise - you can rest assured all is not well!! ;)

I've used both and i don't think there is much functional difference them (or any others for that matter!). I prefer the looks of the Altimaster3 and they have awesome customer service apparently. I have a FT-50, nice, less chunky than the Alti3 but has a domed face.

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

My mate tried it - it stopped at 5,000 / 6,000 ft. He was bit puzzled at this point then he called for air hostess. He asked a very pretty girl "what alti are we now?" She said about 30,000 ft. He couldn't work it out. Few hours later he realised it was due to cabin pressure! Don't worry you altimeter won't be damage cos cabin pressure'll look after it for you.

Cool Thanks for the info

30 000ft would be also way beyong what you can survive... Even though the airplane is flying at 30 000ft, the cabin is air tight and the pressure inside is like the one at about 5000 ft MSL. BUT, if you broke the window, then the pressure would equalize and it would be 30 000ft inside of the plane, as well. Than it would be time to worry about yourself and your altimeter... ;)

Cool Thanks for the info

On commercial airliners the cabin is pressurized between 6-8 thousand feet. This is probably true for the cargo area as well since I have travelled with my dog a few times and he made it through okay.

I love my Altimaster III. I've had it for about 20 years and it's still ticking. The company that manufacturers the Altimaster series now is probably one of the most customer friendly in the industry, and that's something to consider.

As for your later question about commercial airplanes...the cabin and cargo hold are pressurized. If you did happen to take your altimeter on a non-pressurized flight to 30,000 feet it would be fine.

I've actually done a few high jumps with mine, and it generally stops reading accurately in the mid-20's, but returns to normal on the way down. I've watched a bunch of other conventional civilian altimeters and they all behave pretty much the same above about 24,000 feet, but the differences in readings between altimeters are significant at the higher altitudes.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy