rhys

jump #'s for starting camera

I have 170 jumps and cant wait to put a camera on. the reason is what you mentioned about being bored and no one to jump with. when I went through AFF, the skydivers at that dropzone welcomed me with open arms and tried to see me through my transition from "falling to flying", but when I moved to a different dropzone the eniviornment changed. Here you have to be "in the group" or your just an outsider. after attemting to gain ground at this dropzone with no luck I travled to a dropzone twice as far to jump and there it was like my first dropzone. unfortunatly I'm not going to go that far to jump. So you are right on the money when you say people are having a hard to me finding people to jump with and need something to add something new to the mix. I know that every dropzone isn't like the one I'm at and when I'm an experienced skydiver that newbie's look up to for information I'll know from experience exactly how I'm not going to be toward them. Anyway, that's why I want to start jumping camera with so few jumps.

Anyway, that's why I want to start jumping camera with so few jumps.

Please dont see this as an attack.. but what makes you think they will let you jump with them once you have a camera?

If they dont let you jump with them without one, why would they let you with a camera?
I just read over this thread again.. and my last post in here was almost a 1000 jumps ago for me.. every single jump I learn more about why certain things go the way they do.
You have to earn people's trust and respect.. and that takes time..
I was jumping at my current home dz for almost a year before people got to know me.. why? Cause i would show up at noon, make two or three jumps and leave again (dang.. what was I thinking!!)
Not to say there is anything wrong with that, cause there totally isn't.. but I had to invest time in the dropzone and the people there for them to get to know me..

Ask people to jump with you, don't expect to be invited on jumps at first.. cause that's how it goes a lot of times.. once they find out you're one of the people that knows what they are doing, and you are fun to jump with.. the invites will start happening anyways.. Just wearing a camera on your helmet will just make people think ouch.. there is another one that's a little to eager to start jumping with a camera..

Again.. this was not meant as an attack.. just some things I've seen in my 10 years in the sport..

If you're ever in NorCal.. or in AZ during the Holiday Boogie.. for sure look me up.. I'd be more than happy to sit down with you, or even more important.. jump with you!!

Stay safe my friend!!

I appriciate it, and I will. I wish every skydiver was as willing to lend you there knowledge. as I said before, My first DZ the skydivers were always willing to bring a new skydiver into the group, almost like if they taught me then I would know what they know and everyone would be on the same page. but when I moved back to FL, no one gives me the time of day to give me a tip or share an experience much less do a jump with me. And when I went to the DZ that was farther away they were happy to have another skydiver on board and were intrested in teaching what they know. I'm not saying that I want to immedately be trusted to do a 10 way head down, but a little more friendly envirornment would be nice. its like all these "sky gods" are so full of them selves that they don't associate with the peion low jump skydivers.

My point is that if the Sky gods would come off there throne and include the younger generation maybe they wouldn't feel like they need to jump into something new just to keep the fun of skydiving going. and as far as flying camera, I will take the old skydivers advice and wait until I'm ready. but I still cant wait to put one on.B|

I don't take any advice or criticism as an attack in this very safe but potentially dangerous sport.

Don't know how it works over there, but in Holland, you need 1000 jumps and a C licence and (I think) 5 years in the sport te even be allowed to take the TM exam..

I think the minimum is 500 here. and at least one unintentional cutaway. I THINK.

but the OP was asking about camera flying. those numbers are a little diff if you are just fun jumping.
My photos

My Videos