highfly

Who uses Adobe After effects?

I use AE quite a bit, but you'd pretty much ONLY want to use it to create stock elements and NOT as a regular editing program. If you saw the graphic elements used during the Nationals at Perris of the medals, logos and such -- I did those. They'll also be on the final DVD when that becomes available, but since I'm not actually editing that project I have no idea when that will be.

Samples here; http://homepage.mac.com/pquade/Menu45.html
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Just got to chapter 3 of the tutorial book ;)

So far I've produced a stunning movieclip of a family floating in front of a pyramid landscape :D

What tutorial book are you using? I just got the program and haven't gotten a chance to really take a look at it. It doesn't appear to be one of those programs that you can just figure out on your own. :S (without a book)

Just got to chapter 3 of the tutorial book ;)

So far I've produced a stunning movieclip of a family floating in front of a pyramid landscape :D

What tutorial book are you using? I just got the program and haven't gotten a chance to really take a look at it. It doesn't appear to be one of those programs that you can just figure out on your own. :S (without a book)

It's called Revolutionary After Effects 5.5 Enhancing Digital Video, book plus cd.
It's for 5.5 and I've got 6.5 but so far it works and there wasn't any other available untill later this year. It's a cool book actually, usually I like the Academic Service stuff but this one reads much better.

I don't very often get a book for programs either but I didn't know where to start with this one...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

It doesn't appear to be one of those programs that you can just figure out on your own.

You *can* but its going to take you the next 8 years of playing with it to learn your software version.;)

Books about Adobe stuff usually go for $50, so go to Barnes and Nobles with a notebook and a pen (or a small digital camera:D). Go ahead and spend the $4 on some coffee (you know you want to), then enjoy an evening reading and taking notes. There you just saved $46 ($4 for the coffee remember?);)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The books you -really- want are the ones written by Chris and Tish Meyer. http://www.cybmotion.com/ These books are kind of the standard references for AE in the LA area (as well as most of the world).

In addition to writing books and making graphics for a LOT of stuff you see on TV, Chris and Tish head up a users group called Motion Graphics Los Angeles, which meets once a month to show off the latest plug-ins, reels from members and other neat things. http://www.mgla.org/
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Thanks everyone for the tutorial information. I hope I didn't hijack the thread too bad :)

I have heard After Effects described as 'the bastard child of Illustrator and Premier', I can see where that description came from!

AggieDave-I love your idea!! You are so thrifty :P

I use Adobe AE on a daily basis to compose certain elements for videos that I am working on.

I was wondering how many of you guys and gals out there use it for your skydiving vids?

I use them all Digital Fusion, Shake, AE even Flash(you could consider it comp'ing app too). It all depends on your project at hand, your elements/footage res, and what are you exporting for: film, tv, cd/dvd etc.
Hi Jarno Hi Saskia,

Pay a jump and I'll teach you after effects :P

I also use AE to do stuff like adding protrack data on top of video's.
Pretty cool. If you know Photoshop inside out, and you know how to use Adobe Premiere, then After Effects should be easy to pick up (as it's probably best described as photoshop 'on wheels')
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?