MWGemini

Who ACTUALLY uses DVD writers with linear editors?

I'm training to be becoming the dedicated video editor at my DZ. They are wanting to purchase a DVD recorder in the very near future, and ideally, we would like to have the ability to put a short introductory leader on every DVD we give to tandem students.

Who out there uses a DVD recorder (from what I've read, DVD-R seems to be more widely supported), particularly ones with built in hard drives, and how does the process of storing leader footage and burning it to the DVD before the linear edit begins work?

I'm looking for specific brands, models, and actual use stories, if they are available. Our leader footage would probably not be more than 3-5 minutes, if that, so the hard drive would not have to be huge, just enough to accommodate that.

Thanks,

Mike

we have the setup you are talking about. We use a toshiba model with 80 gig hard drive. New to us, but so far it works pretty slick and spits out a very nice looking product. I'm not fond of the remote control because it's not all user friendly, but it is usable. the slowest part of the process is trying to type names onto the chapters if you desire(I'm not sure that's necessary)

as for the linear editing, I think we have it figured out. The only extra thing we have to do is create a new chapter as it is recording onto the dvd. that may be the same on all dvd recorders, but I don't know. It won't let you go back and create one after editing. The HDD will let you, but not the DVD recorder, which is how we edit the tandem video.

The final bug we are learning about is the leader you are asking about. If you store it on the hard drive and preload a bunch of dvd's with your leader, the tandem you edit onto the dvd will be an entirely different title, not just another chapter at the beginning. I'd like to see it as a chapter, and it may be possible, we just haven't figured it out.

Only time and tons of footage will tell us if it was worth the extra bucks for a HDD, but I enjoy thought of the possibilities. If you have questions, PM me

Yeah, we would like to have the leader flow smoothly into the actual tandem's footage, with no interruption. I'm guessing a new chapter would be fine, but I'm not sure if a new title would still allow for that. I'm not too familiar with the file format of DVD discs.

Another concern for us is finalizing time. Currently we have a VHS to DVD converter that generally takes about 4 minutes to finalize the disc. If we can get something less than that, that would be good. Significantly less would be great.

What I am expecting is to have to do 3 videos in approximately 30 minutes. With the current setup, that is not a problem, as our videos usually run about 9 minutes or so, which gives me enough time to switch tapes and set up the next one. If I have to wait several minutes for the DVD to finalize, during which time I am unable to edit, that will slow things down a bit.

Has anyone else done what we are trying to do? Another idea I've had is to just use another input source (probably a VHS player) with the leader on it, and record that onto the DVD before beginning the edit.

If anyone has used systems like this, or has a better way of doing it, please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

Yeah, we would like to have the leader flow smoothly into the actual tandem's footage, with no interruption.......

It'll flow, you can select what you want to happen just before finalizing. Go back to menu, play title 2 etc.....

Another concern for us is finalizing time.

Depending on length of footage, it takes about 3-4 minutes. I'm sure you could get faster dvd write speeds but you may run the risk of not working in the customers dvd players. Not sure about the accuracy of this though.

Another idea I've had is to just use another input source (probably a VHS player) with the leader on it, and record that onto the DVD before beginning the edit.

Thought of that too, but just another 3-5 minutes you could have spent on another video. We might preload the leader from a DV deck instead of the HDD and see if that creates just another chapter, instead of a new title. Also, I certainly wouldn't choose a VHS tape to be the source of your leader. that's a serious downgrade in quality. Hell, going from dvd to dvd downgrades the quality.

Yeah, we would like to have the leader flow smoothly into the actual tandem's footage, with no interruption. I'm guessing a new chapter would be fine, but I'm not sure if a new title would still allow for that. I'm not too familiar with the file format of DVD discs.

New titles flow just fine. It looks best if the leader fades out to black and the tandem specific part fades in from black.

Another concern for us is finalizing time. Currently we have a VHS to DVD converter that generally takes about 4 minutes to finalize the disc. If we can get something less than that, that would be good. Significantly less would be great.

We use +rw's which work on most dvd players. +rw's do not need to be finalized, so the linear edit time is realtime footage length and that's it. (just like vhs). We have a list in the office of dvd players that will not play +rw's and the customer is asked what kind of dvd player they have. If their's is on the list, we'll make a -r and finalize it, but seriously we rarely have to do that. If they can't play the dvd when they get home, they send it back and we convert it, and that rarely happens. We can do 50+ edit's on a typical Saturday with one set-up and one editor. If we used all -r's and had to finalize, this would not be possible.

What I am expecting is to have to do 3 videos in approximately 30 minutes. With the current setup, that is not a problem, as our videos usually run about 9 minutes or so, which gives me enough time to switch tapes and set up the next one. If I have to wait several minutes for the DVD to finalize, during which time I am unable to edit, that will slow things down a bit.

Right. So don't use -r's unless you have to. A tandem video that is 6 minutes long is all you need. Cut out the fluff and you'll be much more efficient. Most people only watch the fluff once, and then fast forward to the jump anyway.

You will have to get both +rw's and -r's with the leader preloaded. We have an outside source prepare the dvd's with a silkscreen label. It looks very professional. The intro has a title, and the tandem's title is just the time clock from the jump. We don't bother renaming it, there is no need to.

Has anyone else done what we are trying to do? Another idea I've had is to just use another input source (probably a VHS player) with the leader on it, and record that onto the DVD before beginning the edit.

Don't do that. vhs bad. get the dvd's preloaded with the leader. If you have to sit at the dz every monday and make a couple hundred yourself, that's better than trying to do the leader and the jump each time. That tedious work is better outsourced though. Companies that can do it right and do it in bulk are much more cost effective than you making 5 leader dvd's per hour...

Our dvd recorder is a Sony like this one.
Our a/v mixing board is a panasonic.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

Lew,

I must be doing something wrong with the phillips we have at our dz (I bought the one Cajones recommended). I only use +R dvd's but it will not play on any of my DVD players at home unless I finalize the DVD. Can you explain a little more on what you are doing? Do you guys still use the phillips model DVD recorders? If so, are there setting in a menu somewhere that I can change? I tried the DVD's on like 5 or 6 players. It would be WAY cool if I could get it to work with no finalize time!!

Thanks!

Pendejo

He who swoops the ditch and does not get out buys the BEER!!

I must be doing something wrong with the phillips we have at our dz (I bought the one Cajones recommended). I only use +R dvd's but it will not play on any of my DVD players at home unless I finalize the DVD. Can you explain a little more on what you are doing?

+RW not +R.

We have a list in the office of dvd players that will not play +rw's and the customer is asked what kind of dvd player they have. If their's is on the list, we'll make a -r and finalize it .....

Lew, is it possible to have a copy of that list or tell me how to get that list. It will be so useful on my dz since we only have one editing station and 3 to 4 vidiots wanting to edit the whole tandem videos of the day (but I saw we use the same DVD recorder as you do). Last night I got out of the dz at 11pm editing my stuff waiting on the other 3 to do their work (it sucked way too much to wait all that). By doing the +R will save us a lot of future problems.

Ivan "Rock On"

"Lew, is it possible to have a copy of that list or tell me how to get that list."

This showed up after a brief google..."dvd player compatibility" showed up a raft of similar sites.:)
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=&Search=Search&country=&orderby=Name&hits=25&Submit2=Search

Over 5,000 models listed but you can refine the search by clicking your country of residence.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

We have a list in the office of dvd players that will not play +rw's and the customer is asked what kind of dvd player they have. If their's is on the list, we'll make a -r and finalize it .....

Lew, is it possible to have a copy of that list or tell me how to get that list. It will be so useful on my dz since we only have one editing station and 3 to 4 vidiots wanting to edit the whole tandem videos of the day (but I saw we use the same DVD recorder as you do). Last night I got out of the dz at 11pm editing my stuff waiting on the other 3 to do their work (it sucked way too much to wait all that). By doing the +R will save us a lot of future problems.

+RW not +R.

Yeah, that website posted above is even better but I'll ask next time I'm in to get a copy of it...

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com