martz

Lens FD(manual focus) EF(autofocus)

Why don't use a fd lens ? I saw that the best way is to put the lens in manual focus and set the focus at around 3 feets.

Why do I need a EF lens if I don't use the autofocus ???
===============================
Ourson # 5
impatient de sauter # 1

Because an EF lens also lets your automatic camera take care of the diaphragm/shutterspeed combination.

If you use a manual lens (Zenitar for instance or older Canon/Nikon/whatever lenses) you have to set the diaphragm and the shutter speed by yourself. Can be done of course, everybody USED to do it, but if you don't know what you're doing you could end up with bad pics.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Ohhhh thanks .. I'm really a newbie with camera ... so I'll stick with EF-AF lens ..

Thanks a lot

By the way .. setting it to manual focus at 3 feets is correct ?
Ourson # 5
impatient de sauter # 1

Ohhhh thanks .. I'm really a newbie with camera ... so I'll stick with EF-AF lens ..

Thanks a lot

By the way .. setting it to manual focus at 3 feets is correct ?

The other problem with the FD lenses is that they will not fit on a newer EOS camera, unless you use an adapter.

Manual focus at 3 feet is a bit close, I set mine more around 5 or 6 feet, just under infinity.

Manual focus at 3 feet is a bit close, I set mine more around 5 or 6 feet, just under infinity.

What do you mean with infinity ??

you lock the focus with gaffer tape ??

Thanks again
Ourson # 5
impatient de sauter # 1

What do you mean with infinity ??

you lock the focus with gaffer tape ??

Thanks again

You set the focus to a little bit under infinity, look at the attached image for what the infinity symbol looks like.

I tape the focus ring with gaffers tape yes.

From your questions it sounds like you are very new to this, which is cool.. it's a whole lot of stuff to learn.
I would recommend reading the manual of your camera before you start doing stuff, make sure you're totally comfortable with the controls and have at least a basic understanding of what things mean before you jump it.

Iwan

http://www.vividlight.com/articles/2314.htm

Setting the camera at infinity "wastes" a good bit of depth of field. Pulling the focus closer to the hyperfocal distance gives you a similar level of sharpness at infinity and allows you to achieve sharper images at closer distances.

BMcD...

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

http://www.vividlight.com/articles/2314.htm

Setting the camera at infinity "wastes" a good bit of depth of field. Pulling the focus closer to the hyperfocal distance gives you a similar level of sharpness at infinity and allows you to achieve sharper images at closer distances.

BMcD...

Like I said in my post, I don't use the infinity setting, but instead my lens is set at a little below infinity.. About 6 / 7 feet out..
For my lens (28 mm) that's a little below the hyperfocal point is what I find from that spreadsheet..

I'll do some more testing with it this week.. thanks for the hint!

Iwan

Using aperature priority is a bit sketchy for freefall if the light is starting fall at twilight and if a dark (black ) jumpsuit or whit are in the frame.

Setting your camera manually with the sunny daylight rule works best for noraml light conditions. 125th @ f16 for iso 100. or any corrected exposure from this. I'll look for a write up on this. Its a basic rule but works 90% of the time.

Here is one that I think explains the rule in abasic manner. I think a lot of photogs make it way too complicated and get too technical with it.
http://www.explore-art.com/photography/S/Sunny_f%5E16_rule.html

I'll look for another that explains the process in a simpiler manner.
www.canopyflightcenter.com
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com

>>Like I said in my post, I don't use the infinity setting, but instead my lens is set at a little below infinity.. About 6 / 7 feet out..
For my lens (28 mm) that's a little below the hyperfocal point is what I find from that spreadsheet.. <<

I know, I was really just trying to show him WHY you do that - I did not mean to imply that I thought you were fvkking up in some way.

The relationship between plane of sharpest focus and depth of acceptable focus is something that takes lots of new photogs a while to get, and an understanding of hf distance often helps.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Because an EF lens also lets your automatic camera take care of the diaphragm/shutterspeed combination.

If you use a manual lens (Zenitar for instance or older Canon/Nikon/whatever lenses) you have to set the diaphragm and the shutter speed by yourself. Can be done of course, everybody USED to do it, but if you don't know what you're doing you could end up with bad pics.

NOT true, before I bought an Auto focus camera I used an Canon A1 and an AE1 program, BOTH allow you to use either aperture or shutter priority and they both also allow you to go completely auto EXPOSURE, what they don't do is auto FOCUS.

Martz would benefit from going to Kodaks' website (or one of the thousands of other very good instruction sites) in the education section and reading up on Hyperfocal distance, and basic photography techniques.

As for the 18% grey, shaded green grass does a fair approximation:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

NOT true, before I bought an Auto focus camera I used an Canon A1 and an AE1 program, BOTH allow you to use either aperture or shutter priority and they both also allow you to go completely auto EXPOSURE, what they don't do is auto FOCUS.

NOT true LOL, if you put a manual lens on an automatic body (this is about a Canon EOS I think) it will only work on aperture-priority. This may be because you need an (not-so-smart) adapter to get a zenitar type lens or an FD lens on such a body.

ciel bleu,
Saskia