alain

safire vs safire 2

Have some of you flown and compared safire and safire 2 at 1.4:1 or so ?
What do you think? Which one has the longer recovery arc ?
I'm fine with the original safire's flare, once you dial it in it's a great canopy (I get some nice swoops out mine at 1,35:1) and I wonder if the safire 2 is more 'newbie' designed, ie: easier flare and shorter recovery arc.
just curious...
Alain

When the Safire 2 came out one of the improvments Icarus referenced was a shorter recovery arch.

Something to keep in mind when looking at the Safire 1 is the canopy is approx. 8% smaller than the stated size compared to a PD product or the Safire 2. I am attaching a letter I received from Icarus years ago about this.

I e-mailed Icarus and explained that this had been talked about here and if they could give me a reply that I could post so here is Icarus's reply

The Safire-1 and the Omega are measured differently to PD canopies. As a rough guide a Safire-1 or Omega is about the same size as the next size down - eg A Safire 149 is about a 135. A Safire 119 is about a 109. Use an equation of 8%.
The Safire-2 and Omni (Omni supercedes Omega) are measured the same as
PD.

All other Icarus Canopies are measured the same as PD.

The reason for the difference is due to Precision measuring their canopies differently. Icarus have always measured the same as PD however when we originally commenced in the USA, Precision were building parachutes for us under license and were doing it using their size equations and not Icarus/PD's.

We have therefore had to wait to supercede these models to change the size equation.

Only the Safire and Omega were affected.

Blue skies
Simon

Icarus Canopies
USA: 1S671 Bender Lane, West Chicago, IL 60185, USA
Ph. (630) 562-2735, Fax (630) 231-4430
Europe: P.I. El Ramassar, c/ Vallés, s/n O8520,
Les Franqueses, Barcelona, SPAIN.
Ph. (34) 938 496 432, Fax (34) 938 497 971
www.icaruscanopies.com
Kirk
He's dead Jim

>So does anyone have any updates on this opinion on the differences
>between the two versions.

I have a Safire1 109 (with brake line mod) and I have often jumped a Safire2 109 from Square 1. I like the Safire2 better. Smoother openings, better flare. Recovery arc isn't that bad; to me it's similar to a Crossfire.

It seems as though the Safire 1's had some quality issues too. Some Safire's open great & have a ton of flair while others openned shitty and did not have a ton of flair. If you do a search on the Safire 1's in these forums you will find info on that. Personally I had a Safire 1 made in Spain that flew great.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

>So does anyone have any updates on this opinion on the differences
>between the two versions.

I have a Safire1 109 (with brake line mod) and I have often jumped a Safire2 109 from Square 1. I like the Safire2 better. Smoother openings, better flare. Recovery arc isn't that bad; to me it's similar to a Crossfire.

I jumped both the pilot and safire II from square 1. Then someone offered to sell me a safire 1. I haven't jumped one but I do know I really like the safire II.