PROGRESSIVE

Helmet for a Sony PC350

I know the Sony PC350 is a new camcorder out there, but is there a helmet manufacturer that is manufacturing a good quality helmet for this camera for a decent price? I am interested in a fully enclosed case for the camera.

I am currently using my PC350 for hanggliding videos, but I want to incorporate skydiving footage as well.

If so, where, who, how much?

Thanks!

i have a pc350 in a dbox on the side of a bonehead optic. I love the fit. call linda at bonehead and she will bring you up to date. i have a large dbox but bonehead is working on a box for the 350 but won't be available for awhile. the ff2 made in the UK fully encloses and i have heard good things. my only issue is the time to ship is about 6-8 weeks and the distance. if they had a US rep it would be better. I live closer to perris than the UK and warranty and work were an issue. hope this helps.

i have a pc350 in a dbox on the side of a bonehead optic. I love the fit. call linda at bonehead and she will bring you up to date. i have a large dbox but bonehead is working on a box for the 350 but won't be available for awhile. the ff2 made in the UK fully encloses and i have heard good things. my only issue is the time to ship is about 6-8 weeks and the distance. if they had a US rep it would be better. I live closer to perris than the UK and warranty and work were an issue. hope this helps.

fyi, it's available now. B|

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

I talked with RAWA about that very thing. Radir e-mailed me November 8th that he had ordered a 350 to make the enclosure for and that it would be done: "30 to 40 days" to have a helmet for the PC 350. So not too long from now one may be ready.
The english version of their site wasn't complete last time i checked, but it has contact information on there. http://www.rawa.com.br
matt

I talked with RAWA about that very thing. Radir e-mailed me November 8th that he had ordered a 350 to make the enclosure for and that it would be done: "30 to 40 days" to have a helmet for the PC 350. So not too long from now one may be ready.
The english version of their site wasn't complete last time i checked, but it has contact information on there. http://www.rawa.com.br
matt

Are you still in contact with Radir? Could you post here as soon as the helmet for the 350 is available?
Thanks,
M.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

Sounds like its a huge chunk of change getting a fully enclosed Bonehead helmet for a camcorder, $400 +.

Reading prior posts, it also sounds like the problem with side mounted cameras is if your a belly flyer, your limited with a fully enclosed cam helmet. Less flexiblity, as opposed to top mounted camera helmet. I don't really understand why this is, but ok.

Finally, although purchasing a helmet with a built in, fully enclosed camera case may reduce entanglements, a simple aluminum "L" bracket screwed to the side of a helmet may be just as good as anything else for a fraction of the cost. Any problems with this idea?

Sounds like its a huge chunk of change getting a fully enclosed Bonehead helmet for a camcorder, $400 +.

Protect your investment (i.e. your camera) with a quality product. Otherwise you just might damage/lose what you bought and be out even more $$ than you originally 'saved'.

Reading prior posts, it also sounds like the problem with side mounted cameras is if your a belly flyer, your limited with a fully enclosed cam helmet. Less flexiblity, as opposed to top mounted camera helmet. I don't really understand why this is, but ok.

My take on this is that with a side-mount camera you especially have to make sure there is no entry point between camera and helmet (think risers/lines). I wouldn't recommend mounting a side-mount on top of a Stroboframe (quick release). Therefore, one helmet, one camera. No flexibility to interchange (quickly at least) like a top-mount.

Finally, although purchasing a helmet with a built in, fully enclosed camera case may reduce entanglements, a simple aluminum "L" bracket screwed to the side of a helmet may be just as good as anything else for a fraction of the cost. Any problems with this idea?

Just make sure you've eliminated any snag points. Easier with a custom box, but can be done well with an 'L' bracket.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

and if i understand him correctly

Thanks for your answer - and your phrase is exactly my problem with Radir! It always sounds like - but you never know:o
Hopefully I will find someone who speaks portugese to get a fully understandable mail.
Do you know, if he also offers his freefly imagem double for the PC 350?
M.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

So what is the cost and the options for the Rawa helmet?

I figured 2K Composites would cost me $400, including shipping and a 2 month waiting period.

So its really between Rawa and 2K, depending on cost, quality, etc.

A fully enclosed cam helmet, I think, is the way to go as far as protecting the camera and reducing snags, etc.

Thanks for all your help. I ordered an FF2. What's funny though, is last night they were offering the helmet at a locked in price of $350 US currency, for December and January only. During my research, (web surfing) the dollar went up .2, making the dollar weaker against the pound.

Tonight, 2K Composites, changed their web site to adjust to the changes in the currancy rate. I ended up paying about $21.00 more due to my 24 hr delay.

They changed their mind on locking in the price.

But, after all my research, the FF2 is the most appealing due to its sleek design.

We'll see how it performs.

And I thought skydiving was expensive! Throw in photography, now I'm really broke!