WayCool

20D Problems

I got my new 20D and I love the body. I already had a new 28 - 300mm Sigma aspherical lens which I really like and a 19-35 zoom lens. The fact that I had these was critical in my decision to buy this body. Anyway when I put the 300 on I get ERR99 intermitently. The 19-35 is fine. I have contacted the shop but am waiting for a reply.

I have found that with a 45x card in it it can write at around 2-3 frames/sec this allows you to shoot between 25-40 frames in a burst depending on the detail. AWEWSOME!

I think my old Stiletto 120 has to go now for the 14mm sigma. I'll keep you all posted on the lens compatibility issue.

Stay Cool
http://www.waycool.com.au

I believe some people have also gotten that code when using the older Sigma lenses on the 300 Digi Rebel when it first came out. Error 99 seems to be the blue screen of death for the Canon digi family.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

My video concession owner just upgraded from the Rebel to the 20 D. That freaking thing takes pictures so fast it looks like a choppy video when he plays them back. 100+ pictures in freefall. Brutally fast.

He uses a Zenitar on that beautiful body, but it's all in manual mode, and he has no problems. Maybe if you shoot the older lenses in manual mode it would work?

Had the same issue with the Sigma 14mm and my Canon 10D- contacted sigma and the response was:

"When the lens was constructed the technology of the camera wasnt available, therefor the lens firmware does not support the new 10D camera, out suggestion for you is to buy the NEW 14mm lens which IS constructed to work with the 10D" (mind you - I had the old 14mm f3.5 lens) so I guess with the new 20D the same thing will happen with older sigma lenses. your only hope is that sigma is still offering firmware upgrades for the lens you possess.
Be Simple, Be Creative, Bee!
Sharon.

UPDATE

I've always been a strong proponent of Sigma lenses and the company has rallied behind there product. Today the 28-300mm was sent back to Sigma by the agents who told me that a chip upgrade is already available and I should have the lens back in two weeks in time for the equinox boogie. Yahoo. The price AU$90 So if in doubt about aftermarket lenses I can recommend Sigma. the 28-300 is awesome for general purpose ground shots.

Now for a freefall lens the Sigma 14mm Asph. is tempting but it is heavy and AU$2000 is expensive!
I heard that Canon is to release some new digital wide angles so it might be worth hanging on a bit.
Put up with the slow 19-35 zoom for a while.

Stay Cool
http://www.waycool.com.au

I just got my 20D yesterday. Sold my Digi Rebel to a friend and am taking the next step. Flashed the firmware to 1.0.5 which looks like it was just released and am ready to go.

I also slapped on my Sigma 15mm which I purchased about a year ago. It works no problem and man....like someone else said.....this camera is just brutally fast! 5 fps up to 23 shots.......I can't wait to get that thing in the air! In the mean time I need to modify my bite switch to the new style plug.

I also slapped on my 19-35 old Vivitar lens which functioned just fine. No errors. And that lenses is probably 4 years old.

Apparently you may get problems with sigma lenses over 18 months old - but sigma will rechip them free of charge (so i've been told)
Canon have released a 10-22 zoom for about £650.
Not sure how big it is though.
Can't wait to get my 20D!
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk