Kipu

Should a new jumper carry a hook knife?

And again, where would one carry a hook knife? (I'm looking for functional, but style points are also important. There are ladies at my DZ). :P

Thanks again,
Josh

I usually carry two (I'm an old CRW Pup), one on my chest strap and one in my leg pocket. In my 35 years, in the sport I've only used it once... because I couldn't get a tent stake out of the ground. ;) However, I feel confident knowing their both there. B|

Also, I've see many people carry them in a pouch on the harness below the three rings. I believe Mirage has a pouch built into the harness... see attached.

same goes for UPT; see attached
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

"No question~ Frank Zappa: Titties & Beer.

He didn't like ya anyway, may as well pay homage to what brought you into his family!"

First of all, Airtwardo, you have been a driving force in my recovery. Thank you.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure that your suggested song title outlines the cause for my wife's very existence. "Jewish Princess." Catholic Girls," and " Why Does it Hurt When I Pee?" need not apply.

I think you're on to something!

"No question~ Frank Zappa: Titties & Beer.

He didn't like ya anyway, may as well pay homage to what brought you into his family!"

First of all, Airtwardo, you have been a driving force in my recovery. Thank you.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure that your suggested song title outlines the cause for my wife's very existence. "Jewish Princess." Catholic Girls," and " Why Does it Hurt When I Pee?" need not apply.

I think you're on to something!

I think you're on to something![/
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

An old jumper I knew use to say the only thing it was good for is cutting your throat to prevent 'impact' as the cause of death! :ph34r:

Musta been one of them pencil necks!

if you work hard enough, they should be enough for your arteries! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

No one has pointed out which hook knife to use if you so choose.

Skip any hook knife made with a plastic handle, which can break when you use them. Also avoid any that have two separate knife blades, which can bind and trap the material needing to be cut.

Benchmade Hook/Safety cutters are the best on the market. Expensive but worth the money. They are machined from one piece of tempered steel. Some even have the requisite bottle opener for participating in post jump activities.

http://www.benchmade.com/images/pr/pdf/Rescue-Hook-Family2.pdf

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_list.aspx?keyword=hook

That cheapo orange plastic knife has been known for a long time to be junk - to break apart under stress of actual use.

There are plastic models that are very good. This plastic knife is great (I have two), unfortunately paragear still sell the orange junk knife also:

http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p1155.asp#4inchPlastichookknife

I do not think the benchmade knife has any advantage, except for the bottle opener.

Attached is a pic of the crappy "Z knife". It is the only plastic knife that has any history of failing/breaking.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I do not think the benchmade knife has any advantage, except for the bottle opener.

The one with the bottle opener is way to small for ME to use...More for people with dainty hands that don't wear gloves.

I like the 'real' one with a full handle.

I have 1/2 dozen 'Ripper' knives I've collected over the years, great for suspension lines but doing some informal testing, they would not easily cut a static-line, and bind up the blade with webbing...and they're 'plastic' too (old ones anyway) they break when freezie cold.

I'd consider them light to medium duty.

Personal thing, I just don't like 'plastic' knives...a 'real' one isn't that heavy, not real expensive, and 'if ' I ever need one again I'd prefer to have what I think is the best. ;)

The Benchmade knives are solid, extremely sharp & stay that way. Pretty indestructible tool, the Gerber full size are nice too.

But it's just a matter of choice.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Allllllright then.... I'm new to the sport and newer to the forums.

So, is this kind of inconclusiveness something I should get used to? Please do not intemperate this question as any form of disrespect. I'm thrilled to get the responses, even if they leave me just as questionable as where I was when I started...

Yes. Get used to it.
Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, some of them smell really bad.

The responses here (and for just about every serious question) run the gamut from pure, unaduterated bullshit to real, valuable advice. And of course the standard "non-answer" jokes. Some of which have more real, usable advice than some of the supposedly "knowlegable" responses.

If you hang out here long enough, you will get a feel for who to listen to and who not to.

Keep in mind that the advice on here is worth exactly what you paid for it. And maybe not even that much. :P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

If you hang out here long enough, you will get a feel for who to listen to and who not to.

Shit...I'm busted. :|

Well, considering how old you are and how long you've been doing this...

The simple fact that you are still around puts you a lot more in the "listen to" category than in the "not"

(note sig line ;))
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

The result of this was that the bag smacked me on the top of my right foot as the PC pulled it from the container. I can't explain how or why that was but it happened (I'm guessing because of my speed). Luckily I had an uneventful deployment and remainder of the skydive, but I feel like I was close to a horseshoe malfunction.

It was probably because you weren't in a flat track but you were diving head first.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

The result of this was that the bag smacked me on the top of my right foot as the PC pulled it from the container. I can't explain how or why that was but it happened (I'm guessing because of my speed).

You were likely in a head down orientation.

So, is this kind of inconclusiveness something I should get used to? Please do not intemperate this question as any form of disrespect. I'm thrilled to get the responses, even if they leave me just as questionable as where I was when I started.

Yes. Things are very rarely black or white and in the end it's you who'll have to figure out what's the lesser of two (or more) evils. And there will be advocates for all options. Early on, doing what your instructors tell you to do is most likely your best bet but eventually you will have to start making your own choices about pretty much everything. I think the key is to approach learning with the question why. The more you just accept as the truth the less you will be able to understand on your own.

No question~ Frank Zappa: Titties & Beer.

He didn't like ya anyway, may as well pay homage to what brought you into his family!

"Where's those titties I like so well. And, my goddamn beer is what I started to yell."

... Yep, I think that'll due.

edited to add... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=441-Vnv7cRY for the youngons.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."