rredman

Javelin Odyssey vs Vector III

I am considering these two rigs, and thought I would ask the experts what they think fo the two. I do a little of everything, but mostly camera at the moment. I so some sit flying, very little head down, and some 4 way belly flying, besides doing camera stuff... so, any insight you guys could offer would be great.

Thanks,
Ross

I'm no expert, but I prefer the Javelin to the Vector III. Why have you narrowed it down to just these two? There are other great rigs out there, some priced more reasonably as well. I got my fully loaded Wings for $1200, and I have heard of others getting it cheaper than that. Infinity is also a good rig with a quick turn around. :)

-Kenny

I am considering these two rigs, and thought I would ask the experts what they think fo the two. I do a little of everything, but mostly camera at the moment. I so some sit flying, very little head down, and some 4 way belly flying, besides doing camera stuff... so, any insight you guys could offer would be great.

Thanks,
Ross

Ok, I will be honest and I am a Vector fan, this said, they earned it. Their customer service is top notch (Not saying Sunpath isn't I just haven't dealt with them) Relative, makes a bullet proof rig, and they are always working on improving their rig's in every little step all the time.
Now here comes my opinion and the reason for it.

I did 100 jumps this week, all of them Vector3, and a Javelin odyssey (Borrowed rig, same size guy my backup rig was down) Back to back. Here is what I found. The Javelin was very comfortable on the ground, As was the Vector. But under canopy the Javelin was very uncomfortable, as a matter of fact I have bruises, from the articulated harness digging into my chest on opening. Also the Javelin seems to push you forward when opening so you are at a different angle, kinda leaning backwards, with your feet in front of you. But after 50 jump's on a Vector, and 50 Jumps on a Javelin, I was relieved everytime I opened with my Vector, it was so much more comfortable under canopy. All around, Chest, legs and Back.
That said, there are a lot of Javelin and Vector jumper's out there that love their rig's. And most of them jump the hell out of them, maybe contact Relative and Sunpath, and arrange a Demo, and try them out, they are both good rig's, and this is only "my" opinon of the Javelin.
One note another post altogether, Javelin doesn't have the skyhook, and this is something you will need to investigate and decide if you want also.
Good luck

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

I've never jumped a Vector but own an Odyssey, which I absolutely love.
The only thing I can actually compare on really, is the look. I think the Odyssey looks a lot nicer.
Why don't you ask your local shop if they have demo rigs, or rental rigs you can try out?

Edited to add this: My experience with Sunpath was that they did everything to make me happy and get my rig finished in record time so I could take it back with me. I am sure I will always buy from them in the future.

Was the Vector your rig that was designed to fit you? Because I know the Javelin was not designed for you...You and Dag are not exactly the same body type either. Could this possibly be a contributing factor in the articulated harness kickin' yo ass?

Go with either one...they are both fine. Make sure that you get something that is measured for you and that you get someone who measures you properly (very important), otherwise you run the risk of getting bruises and being uncomfortable. So again, I like chocolate chip ice cream, what flavor do you like???

Slut's advice is a sound one - get the one YOU like B|
That said.... I've owned both, and my flavor is definitely vanilla - just look at this pretty Vector!!!

I'll have to agree with Ray that the Vector is really comfortable to wear, both on the ground and in the air.
Talk to the manufacturers, try them on, pick your flavor!
Have fun picking out the new stuff!!

Blue ones,
Kolla

Blue Skies Magazine

Hey Kolla,

You're here too, didn't know that.... :)
-Paul
(From dutch mill7, we came in for Eddy's demo canopies)

The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Thanks a bunch! I have decided on the Vector... now comes the hard part.. colors, options... :S

I can't wait!
Thanks for all the advice!

Good choice, the Vector3 is a great rig, Is it your first rig? Otions? I like the articulated harness, I wouldn't own a rig without it. And have you looked at the Skyhook? Are you going to get it?

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Great choice. I used to own a Jevelin and it was a fine rig. It just didn't offer all the features of a Vector and I've never worn a rig as comfortable as my little Micron. I love it. And the leg padding really makes a difference on cross countries. Beleive me. You would notice a difference.

"Five days? But I'm angry now!"