Rdutch

Nikon D70 Remote option

After playing with the D70, I sold my Rebel Digital and ordered a Nikon D70. The no remote plug bothered me, so I sent an Email to Harbortronics about the plug installation they offer. Not wanting to void the warrenty Mark from harbortronics told me that he could modify the IR remote for $75 to accept a plug in, and the lag is almost none for the ir to camera. This option sounds good tp me I will let everyone know when I receive my camera and remote. Hope this helps anyone that is interested in the Nikon D70.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Ray,

What did you like better about the D70? What were the features/capabilities that lead you to go Nikon?
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Mostly the buffer speed, Liked the way I can take pictures faster, actually a lot faster. Also I was very disapointed with the rebel in low light situations. I borrowed Skaryperrys flash and the camera took great pictures at night then, but you shouldn't have to buy a $250 flash. Im sure if I knew a lot more about photography and wanted to play with it I could have better results. As far as skydiving the Rebel took great pictures. And when I was shooting film, It was hard to use a whole roll of film on a jump, but I have a rule, if your going to take one picture skydiving take 3, and with the Nikon I can do that.
Plus Nikon lenses kick ass, much more expensive but worth it.
Dpreview does a good comparison review take a look at it and see what you think. Also I would like to hear any reviews from people that own a D70.
I played with the Ir remote in the store and it was fast I couldnt tell a lag, and it even worked when it wasnt pointed directly at the camera, so I think mounting it near the camera with a bite switch sould work fine. I will let everyone know as soon as I have mine mounted.

Ray

I think you'll have issues when jumping in that configuration.. if you're facing the sun, etc.. might interfere with the IR.

I think Nikon is dumb to not have that feature already on that camera.. anyone who shoots a SLR should have a remote shutter release

Ray,

Thanks for the heads up on the comparison on dpreview I will check that out. I took a look at a D70 shortly after they came out and was impressed by the feel of it...very solid.

I have several pieces of Nikon glass ... I've owned Olympus, Pentax and Nikon equipment over the years ... and I agree, they are great lenses.

Do you find the "instant-on" nice to have?
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I think if Ray mounts the remote really close or even on top of the IR sensor on the camera body he shouldn't have any problems. He could likely even tape over it so that no extraneaous light could affect the IR sensor on the camera.

But... we'll have to wait until he gets it done and gives us his report to know for sure.:)
--
Murray

Well I don't know.. i haven't seen this in person, but if this is the unit:

[inline nikmll3.jpg]

How are you going to attach this where it needs to go? It seems like harbortronics should come up with some custom made unit.. I can't make up my mind on what to get now (thanks ray!) I was just about to buy a 300d.. want a good all around camera, not just for skydiving. Want to also shoot "events" such as protests and stuff which may require "quick shooting." Sounds like maybe the d70 might be the way to go, but I really don't like taping a freaking IR thingi to he front of the camera in order to shoot skydiving... if only nikon would consult skydivers before desiging their products. :)

Kevin

want a good all around camera, not just for skydiving. Want to also shoot "events" such as protests and stuff which may require "quick shooting.

What's stopping you from getting a Canon 10D?

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

$ :)

Understood. My first SLR camera was a Mamiya Sekor (still have it). Second Pentax (a gift) (sold it, and all its accessories and lenses on Ebay). Third a Canon. I started collecting additional lenses for the Canon and now I choose to stay there for the same reason....other than the fact that they're awesome cameras ta boot. :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

How are you going to attach this where it needs to go? It seems like harbortronics should come up with some custom made unit.. ...but I really don't like taping a freaking IR thingi to he front of the camera in order to shoot skydiving... if only nikon would consult skydivers before desiging their products. :)

Knowing what little I know about electronics that i do, most of that remote is just a shell. You could probably remove the PCB from it, do the mod, and build a smaller 'shell' for it.
It has got to be a super simple solution once you have that thing opened inside....complete one (maybe two ) circuits and you are there.

or you could pay $195 for the mod and void the warranty (which I think is highly expensive, but will most likely end up doing.[:/]

I had talked with Nikon about 8 months ago when i heard that they were coming out with the D70 in answer to the 30D. The guy i talked to was a senior product manager or something, and I asked him why none of the new cameras or any of the digitals have a built in plug for remote shutter release like the N70 or F100 or N90s do. he gave me some run around about how it takes all this extra design and engineering blah blah, so then I told him that they would have more skydiving customers if they took care of that aspect. I told him of all my friends entering the digital $1000 market who were buying canon 30d because Nikon doesnt have a remote release built in. He told me he would note it :S and wouldnt tell me if the d70 would have a remote or not. that was the end of that conversation.

the simple fact is that as skydivers, i guess we do not draw big enough of a market for them to install a plug on $1000+ cameras, like they have on their $300 camera bodies.

it sucks.
jeff D-16906

and other than that, I am a HUGE fan of Nikon.

$ :)

Understood. My first SLR camera was a Mamiya Sekor (still have it). Second Pentax (a gift) (sold it, and all its accessories and lenses on Ebay). Third a Canon. I started collecting additional lenses for the Canon and now I choose to stay there for the same reason....other than the fact that they're awesome cameras ta boot. :)
ltdiver

Well this will be my first SLR, my older brother is a semi-professional photographer and he shoots a Canon 10d, I have a italian papartzi friend in california who is full time and he shoots the same.. my brother swears by canon cause that's what he was 'raised' on in college, he said the nikon all the stuff was "backwards" (the dials and whatnot)... that really isn't an issue with me since I haven't been "raised" on anything at this point. He also swears by the "canon glass" .. i don't know what the quality of the nikon glass is, he said canon has USM as well and he didn't think Nikon had that but noted some of their lenses might have something similar to it now...

It seems like the FPS on the nikon just blow the 300d out of the water and FPS is important with skydiving photography...

The warranty is just for mfg defects, right?

I cant speak for Harbortronics but they have been pretty honest and answered all my questions fast. Send them and Email. I think [email protected] is the addy, if not you can see it on the website, Maybe offer to buy a camera from them already modified that way when it leaves their office it works for sure. Im not sure, I ordered my Camera from B%H but the remote is $11 so I dont care if they screw it up or not, I know enough about electronics I can probably do it myself.

Ray

I spoke to a nikon sales rep when the camera was launched in the UK and i asked about the remote issue. He told me that their market research indicated that at the 'consumer' end of the market there was no demand for a screw in electronic remote. He told me my best option was to buy a d2H!!!

All my kit is Nikon but i'm thinking of changing to canon too. They just seem to be ahead of the game and they will probably produce the first affordable full frame DSLR too.

gary
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

Come on Ray,
you HAVE to have jumped it by now!!!

eager to know, affects my buying decision....

thanks,
jeff D-16906

I don't know if he even has the camera yet, last time I heard (about a week ago) he hadn't bought it cuase he's a slacker.. er I mean so busy. I got mine in though, but i too am waiting on our faithful test-dummy, i mean uh Ray, to get his camera modified before I do anything like that to my new baby.

Love the camera though :)