BenGriffiths

What audible Alti should I get?

I'm thinking of getting an Audiblle Alti - I'm considering 4 Options(Pro-Dytter, Pro-Track, TimeOut and Jumptrack) - I've also noticed another model (Skytronic FX) which I know very little about.

What models do people recommend. As well as the audible part I'd like to be able to record jump stats - e.g. exit alt - opening alt - avg speed etc..)

And yet another Q - does anyone have any info on the TimeOut as I've been offered one for 1/2 price and I tempted.
----------
Ben G
Still Sinking :-(

just a quick heads up, jumptrack is not an audible, it is the program that allows you to download the data from a protrack to your computer... if you want the data from your jumps go with the protrack, if you just want an audible go with prodytter...l&b has outstanding customer service and solid products...

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

JumpTrack isn't an audible. It's the interface and software used to download data from the ProTrack to your PC.

The Pro-Dytter and TimeOut doesn't record data (and the Cool and Groovy TimeOut Evolution 2000 which did is no longer available - although you might be able to buy one second hand) so if you really want to record, I wouldn't suggest those. I'd recommend the ProTrack over the Skytronic because of the increased functionality and L&B's outstanding customer service. However, they are both solid products and if you've been offered a newish model (what is the shape and colour of the box) for 1/2 price it sounds like a good deal. If you are on a limited budget, I'd certainly recommend it. At this stage, you are probably better off spending your money on jumping.

You might also want to consider the Altimaster Neptune but I've not actually seen one yet (hopefully next week) so I can't recommend it.

you can't go wrong with a cheap timeout (test it before you buy it though)
if you're going to get some new stuff, go for the prodytter, I mean, do you really need the jump record thing ? (on top of that, the protrack looks to be more battery hungry ?)
if you get the timeout then latter buy a new prodytter, you will have spent less than for a new protrack: you loose the gadgets but you win a bullet prroof altitude awareness help...
that's what i would go for personaly, for what it's worth :P
alain

As well as the audible part I'd like to be able to record jump stats - e.g. exit alt - opening alt - avg speed etc..)

Well, as I'm sure you're already aware by now because so many folks have already told you, the JumpTrack isn't an option AS AN AUDIBLE.

But what nobody has mentioned yet is that the ProDytter, while an absolutely fantastic audible, doesn't record any information.

My recommndation would be a ProTrack just to start you off. It's great for average fall rates and opening altitudes. If you need more detailed fallrate information, also get the JumpTrack software.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I haven't read the above, but I am familiar with the dytter, Time-out, and Pro-Track.

The dytter is annoying in every way. Don't get one.

The Time-out is a pretty okay audible, but doesn't do anything except beep. It is easy to use, but both Time-outs I have had have broken in some way, shape, or form.

Pro-Track's are the shit. They do everything you could ever ask an audible to do. The only downside is the price, but paying so much saves you precious beer drinking time in the end. It helps with logging, occupies time on the ride to altitude, and is pretty damn accurate on all the stats. I love breaking old speed records and playing tetris on the way to altitude. Just kidding.

If you want the best, get a pro-track.

I can say much much more, but I am to busy playing with mine.

John D-24352

I own three Pro Dytters and they work fantastic for me. I chose not to go with the Pro Track because I am already quite religious about recording my own data, plus the Pro Track and Jump Track purchased together is a huge initial investment for an audible, IMHO

I agree with BenGriffiths that the Alti-2 Neptune is worth a look. The folks I know who saw it at Symposium were very impressed.
Arrive Safely

John

I love my ProTrack. It has 3 programmable warning altitudes: I set one for break off altitude or wake up altitude, one for it would be good to pull right about now and one for Oh Shit pull now or die. It has many nice features and acts as an electronic logbook and gives you all kinds of nifty information like how fast your average speeds were on each skydive. It has been very helpful to me to keep track of my skydives when I am too lazy to log and helped a lot when I went through my AFF course.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

I was looking for the same answers you are a couple of months ago. I ended up buying a Skytronic FX. It does everything the Pro-Track does, but it holds only 200 jumps compared to Pro-Tracks 1000 jumps. If you are too lazy to update your log book at least once every 200 jumps, then get the Pro-Track, otherwise I recommend the Skytronic FX.
--- Oh yeah, it's really easy to figure out how to work them. And they are around $75 cheaper (money=more jumps)