Squeak

PC 104 105 etc...

there seems to be a proliferation of PC cameras comming out at present here in Oz.
Does anyone know the differences between the 104 & 105.
I can pck up a 104 with digi stills compact camera for a couple of hundred less than a 105, when I looked at Sony's site they apear to be the same, so somthing is amiss
Any ideas???
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

That's right Squeak. The PC104 is the same as the PC105 minus a few small features. I beleive optically they are the same. There is also a new range of Sony camera's I just did some research on thanks to Rigger Bob for asking the question.
The PC108 AUD$1333 and PC109 AUD$1645 have just hit our shores. The only problems I can see with the PC108 and PC109 is the optical quality is not as good as the PC105. Also the PC108 and PC109 have only 25mm lense adapters. This is a odd size I believe it will be hard to get generic lense step rings for 25mm to say 30mm or 37mm.
The PC108 and PC109 have a NP51 battery which I think is a little better than the NP50 and a lot better than the NP30. The PC108 and PC109 comes with a docking station and I/R device capable of transferring your video to recorder. I think the I/R adapter is extra cost??
Because the price of these camera's are coming down with each new model you can bet that the image quality and/or features will be reduced. I reckon that the PC9 has the best quality for the low end PC models. You still can't beat the PC330/110/120/100 for upright camera quality.
It's a tough choice!! You need to look at what you want to acheive with your camera, then budget and weight it up from there.

Cookie
Capturing the Blue Room Experience!!!!

Over here in England we had the 103 & 105 on sale... didn't even know a 104 was available (but makes sense, as in england cameras cost a sh*t load more if they can DV IN back to the camera... some tax thing).
Anyway, seeing as your 104 has DV IN the only thing you're REALLY going to be missing is the memory stick (which i do find quite handy).
Certainly does sound like the new 108/9 is a bit pants with only a 25mm lens adapters!
As for battery, oddly enough i find that i still get more life out of my old 101 (great buy if you can get hold of one) than i do out of my new 105 (both with standard batteries)
+ i prefer the fact that the 101 has both the triple audio/video plug (like a headphone jack but with video as well) & the SVIDEO plug (unlike the 105 which only has Sony's *special* plug which requires an adapter!)
.... after all that, see if you can find a 101 in a clearance sale somewhere :)

Squeak,
I've just bought a PC104 in Sydney on special for $1100. Only difference I can see is regarding the stills capability and the lack of pop up flash. The PC103 doesn't have a DV (Firewire) in capability but the 104 & 105 do. I think the optics are the same. The handbook covers 103/104/105 and the specs are the same for all of them. Haven't got it mounted yet so can't comment on the picture.

I can't comment on the PC104, but I got my PC105 and a battery and a carry case for $1900.

You got ONE PC-105 and ONE Batter and ONE carrry case for Nineteen Hundred Dollars ? ;) That's very expensive. You could have bought two of everything you just mentioned for $1900.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

That's obviously 1900AUD, which is roughly 1400USD. Still expensive though - Oz prices are outrageous WRT electronics, and camera gear particularly. For example MRRP for the Canon 300D/Digital Rebel (kit) in Oz is 1999AUD - roughly 1450USD compared with the US MRRP of only 999USD!

totally unrelated....just wanted to thank you for the helmet.Fits like a glove...except it's a helmet...and it goes on your head not your hand.I'll shut up now...
No I won't.Will your handycam gloves take the pc330 ok 'cos they're a bit bigger than the rest of the pc range??
God gave men 2 brains,but only enough blood to fill one at a time....I can live with that.

Hi guys,

Just a couple of notes on the PC105:

1. Had it shipped from Dubai to South Africa and the total landed cost for the camera, battery, carry case and wide angle lens was +- USD1,050.00. (Including customs duties etc)
2. One of the nice features with the memory stick is that you can put your club logo etc on the screen as an overlay (nice little logo top right corner ;-)). Great advertising.
3. It take quite good stills 1 mega pixel

Cheers,
Neels
Grounded?!?!?! Whadda ya mean I'm "GROUNDED"?!?!?!?!

Cool Matt,
Currently our gloves only fit the PC101/105 size camera's. We are currently building Black Box moulds for the PC330. So if we get some interest for 330 gloves sure well certainly say "Giddy UP" and start making them. Our web page has a few problems at the moment whilst we finish our new site which will go live this week, It really reflects the type of guys we are!!
Really looking forward to getting my hands on the PC108 or PC109 for a few field tests. I have my reservation on picture quality however it could be a good bang for your buck camera and really light weight. Lense diameter will be the real issues at 25mm. I think you may have to run stock sony lenses as I can't find step rings for that size.
Have fun with your new lid and send me some pic's of you in action to chack out.

Cookie
Capturing the Blue Room Experience!!!
Run IT!!