Kuper

jumping with a banner. any tips?

Hi!
i want to jump with a banner or a sign and i want to know some things before doing it:
1. is there any prefered material? a piece of thin wood? or a white flag or a piece of cloth will do better?
2. if cloth - where do i need to hold it? behind ? with 2 small ropes attached to the bottom ot it?
3. do i have to do something special with the legs or just be in the regular boxman position and arch... (i suppose the flag does change my falling into to wind)?

any suggestions from things you've seen or filmed will be appreciated.

thanx and blue skies!
Ori.
http://www.orikuper.printroom.com

1. is there any prefered material? a piece of thin wood? or a white flag or a piece of cloth will do better?

Nicest I've seen was a ram air flag built just for that. Talk to your local loft about that if you're interested. Easiest is a piece of white cardboard about the size of a pizza box top. Easy to get, use, and when you drop it in freefall or on deployment it's not likely to be a dange or hazzard to someone.

2. if cloth - where do i need to hold it? behind ? with 2 small ropes attached to the bottom ot it?

See the above answer. Cloth is hard to get to be radable because it needs to be held taught(sp?). Any handles must be designed so that just opening your hand releases the flag, and there is no danger of entanglement.

3. do i have to do something special with the legs or just be in the regular boxman position and arch... (i suppose the flag does change my falling into to wind)?

Boxman is fine, but put your legs out and drive hard. The sign and the way you hold it will have you backsliding like mad, and a cameraman won't be able to take the best shot while tracking after you. Try to hold your ground, and remember to face the sun!

Have fun...
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

My ex-wife made this one outa cardboard, and used probably a whole role of tape to strengthen it. It worked out awesome. I think the key was the exit so she wouldn't tumble, and lose the sign, or get beat to shit by it. Her sign did come apart on opening. She let go with one hand and pulled, and the sign disappeared. By the way, we won a trip to Mexico with this from a radio station.

TOTALLY agree on facing the sun, and try to keep from back sliding.
my pics & stuff!

Have you thought about the fact that you're going to strap something to yourself and jump out oif a plane? I can think of about 300 things that could go wrong, and with 47 jumps it might be a good idea to hold off on banner towing.

If a flag would do the trick, a handheld flag would be somewhat safer, but a funneled exit will still have you in freefall wrapped up in fabric. OK, maybe thats not a good idea either.

Maybe you could get a much more experienced jumper to dress up like you, and make sure the camera flyer is just far enough away that you can't really see who's face it is.

thanx for the answers guys! the cardboard does sound better in that case, and the linestretchs picture is awesome!!!! i'll decide what to do and let you know or see...
i hope it'll go all right :)

thanx again!
Ori.

The scooter jumped with this flag. He just tied pullup cord to the grommets and looped it around his hand. Opening his hand released that side of the flag for deployment.

Flags get thrashed. That cardboard picture looks like a real good suggestion.

:SListen to Dave's questions about your experience level. Gain some additional experience before you attempt to jump a flag or sign. If you need pictures or video have a "stand in" do it for you.

Don't "hope it'll go all right" make sure.

Blues and be careful,

J.E.
James 4:8

You really should think twice about doing something like this with 47 jumps. Maybe it will go ok, but there is a shit load of things that can go wrong. A while back my Dad did a banner jump using a broom stick to hold the banner. All went well on the jump, but his piece of crap parafoil had a couple cells blow out on opening (still a safe landable canopy) and he had to do a PLF on landing. He didn't think to ditch the banner/broom stick (especially over the populated area) so he did the PLF and the broom stick poked him in the chest and broke three ribs among other things. $10,000 later after the hospital had there new trauma team play with him and he thought that maybe it wasn't such a great idea. All this happened to him and he had 750 jumps.

Just something to think about.

John D-24352

I agree with those who say don't rush it. Talk over any ideas you might have with your S&TA and get his or her imput before trying anything. Just having something in your hands when you jump can be a significant distraction. Be safe.
"I have magic buttons ;)." skymama

I agree. I learned that things go from real fun to real, real, real bad in a matter of a split second in our sport. Unfortunately with severe consequences. Both physically and financially. Kind'a like sex and marrage now that I think of it.....

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana" -Groucho Marx-
"Tom flies like a rock" -Tom Carson-

Thanx for all the things you wrote. but i want to understand - let's say i jump with that card thing.
if i'll throw it just before tracking, and then open without it? is it still so bad?
if it won't be good while working with the photographer - that's really bad, cause if i throw it out - i won't have it for another try :(
i mean - if it works, and i'm ok with the photographer falling rate - what can still go wrong?
(just for the record, and though i think it doesn't matter in my newbie case - i have 56 jumps.... hip hip..)

thanx again, please give me more things to think about. that helps a lot!

Ori.

I don't know what card thing you are talking about, but you always have to be cautious of what you let fall to the earth no matter how heavy it is. I don't know where you live or anything, but you could get in trouble for things like that. For me, I have let things go over the desert of El Paso and no one will ever know or care. Just some more things to think about.

Kuper,

That's why I think the Cardboard method is the best for you right now. With your experience level it seems like the safest option. Make you decision on the GROUND as to whether you want to let it go or deploy with it. I vote for let it go. Talk to your DZO, make sure they are cool with this. DIRTDIVE your skydive! Anytime you add another new factor you increase your danger level. Repeated practice can help weed out the unknowns, and bring a level of saftey into play.

Have fun!

diabolopilot, i think i'll talk with the DZO about that, and do it the way you suggested.
and hey! thanx for being the only one on my side!(just kidding ;) i know you guys write everything just to help me doing it the safest way possible)

this weekend i think i'll just keep on dreaming about it. The wind (on ground) 21-29knots on Friday, and 7-27 Konts on Saturday>:(

I just did a jump with a compressed wood sign (stronger/thicker then cardboard, but not as strong/thick as plywood/particle board).

I've got over900 jumps and there were times where I was having trouble controlling it fully and a couple seconds where it was controlling me. It had me SCREAMING across the sky for a bit. One look at my camera guy and I knew it (oddest damned body position I've seen in a long time).

My advice for someone wity less then 100+ jumps. Don't do it.

Oh, I was going to land with it, but the handle cracked and the sign ripped apart from the handle right as I deployed. Atleast I came home with the handle piece.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hold off on it, and you will get to do it some other day, better than having something gone wrong. Be patient and get some more control over your flying, other than fallrate, that will make for better pictures if you are actually relaxed and able to fly the banner/sign instead of the othe way around. ;)

i came with a beautiful sign made of KAPA (a hard 'polysomething' board that can be attached to pics for hanging on wall) and the instructor told me 'no way' and advised me to make it of cloth. the day after - i came with the cloth, but there wasn't any photographer i knew, and i also like the fact that i have the jump for practice with it. i jumped with it, the upper stitch tore, but it was kind of cool and stable falling. (i took it with me till the ground, and then realise wat was torn and thought agian that it's not so clear to read what was written on it).

the weekend after (3 days ago) i made another sign and jumped with it and with photographer (and two other guys on his sides!) again - the upper stitch tore, but the real problem is that in the video you can't read anything. just to imagine... but i do belive that if i'll show it to people who knows me and the issue on the sign - can understand. i attached 2 frames from his video.
another things that were wrong:
1. on the practice jump i practiced in straighten my legs out in order of not flying backwards. in the plane - the photographer told me he didn't want me to do anything with my body position. so i didn't do... and he had to track all the jump :)
2. the sign was big. too big maybe for onw guy to hold...
3. i don't know why, and i hope it happend just as a compensation to the sign - my legs were spread like hell!!!
but who cares - it was a great fun, and the people who can't understand - can jump! ;)

thanx you all for your advice, and blue sky!
Ori.

Nice. If you made it a little less wide, it may have been easier to read. Also if you'd put the bulk of the printing lower on the flag, you'd also get a clearer image.

The "polysomething" sign sounds like it might have been pretty heavy. You may still want to try the cardboard sign.

Have fun.