skysurfcam

300D/Rebel Digital Roundup - Owners please respond.

Now that a few people on the forum have been jumping these for a while, can you please give an informed opion on their performance in freefall. Basically, are they a workable option, or a compromise entry dig-cam. Now that the conceptus switch is sorted out, what sort of frame rates are you getting, is the lens standing up to freefall, etc etc.

Quirks, foibles, upsides, downsides...

Enquiring minds want to know...

Cheers,

Craig

http://www.adrenalineskysurf.com

Brother Wayward's rule of the day...
"Never ever ever go skydiving without going parachuting immediately afterwards."
100% PURE ADRENALENS

I think the Digital Rebel is far from entry level digital camera.
I have been using it to jump pretty much since it came out, and I am very happy with it.
Like you said, after I found out about the tongue switch, nothing but good stuff.

I am using it in combination with the Sigma 15mm Fisheye lens, and I am extremely happy with the results.
It is not as high performance as the 10D (of course not) but for me definitely does the job VERY well.

I would say this is the camera to go for if you are starting off, and even if you have been shooting for a while. It is a very good product.

The only "bad" stuff I heard is the door for the CF card coming open, but nothing that Gaffers doesn't fix there. I personally have not had this problem though, but that might be dependent on where you mount the camera. I have a flat top pro (or at least equivalent...) so it is mounted in the front. The person that told me about this problem had another kind of helmet, with the still cam mounted on top.

Iwan

I have no issues with mine or the kit lens. The bite switch was not an issue since my RAWA bite switch works as is. The pictures are top notch and the CF card door hasn't given me any trouble either. I wouldn't consider it an entry camera either. I am lookig forward to seeing what it can do with other lenses besides the kit one. Other than that it is the heat.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I'll triple the opinions listed above as to the fact that this camera is far from entry level.

Since I've attached the 20mm Canon lens I've loved the pictures captured with it. Prints are coming out awesome.

No issues with the remote switch at all (stereo Conceptus tongue switch).

CF door has always stayed closed (though did take a suggestion to tape it down after the first jump secondary to -others- jumping the D60 -have- had a few events with the door coming open on their camera).

I've only had it a month or so but I already can't believe it took me so long to go digital...

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Its been a great camera, I have had no problems with it. The tongue switch thing was only for those of us that had mono-plugs already. Frame rate has not been a problem, it shoots plenty fast for my needs. Because I have mine top mounted and it has a plastic body over magnesium sub-frame I did build a fiberglass cover for extra protection on mine - it covers all the doors, buttons and LCD.

The kit lens has worked out allright. It is very light and the image quality good - adding a hood helped. It requires a lot of pre-flight gaff since it has a front focus ring and zoom. The only issues I have is the the focus is touchy and its not wide enough for me. I also have a 12mm Diagonol fish-eye and a Sigma 12-24mm for jumping. I plan on the 12-24 being my main lens once my neck gets numb to that monster chunk of glass.