R00tj00se

Apple Mac advice

After years of faithful service I've decided my PII 300 needs to be replaced by a new PC.
However after seeing a friends brand spanking new Apple Mac I'm thinking of also getting a Mac however I have never played around with one.

I have a PC-9 which at the moment is just used as a 'Flight Recorder'. I'd like to be able to put together 5 - 10 min vids with music.
What is the lowest spec I could get away with (i.e. how much hard drive space would I need, processor speed [I know this is not related to PC processor speed so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I would need]).
I know I could do this on a PC but I'd like to get a reasonably cheap Mac to play with and then if I like it I'll go get a better one in the future. (You can never have too many machines on your home network ;)).
This is with a view to getting better at camera work over the next few years and hence getting a better Mac...

What else are you wanting to use your computer for?

Gaming?
Word Processing?

Macs kick ass for audio/video stuff, but beyond that, they really really really suck it up. Software is expensive and if you're into gaming, well, you're just about SOL when it comes to Macs.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

All of the current Macs from the least expensive to the most expensive will do basic video editing with iMovie. All have FireWire inputs.

You should be -certain- of the type of optical drive that you'll be getting. Some are capable reading DVDs, some are capable of writing DVDs. You want the "Super Drive".

Right now the least expensive model I'd consider (and damn near the least expensive model they offer) would be the eMac with the Super Drive. About $1,100. Pretty good deal really.

You could also easily spend 5 times that much for a really kick ass system capable of doing any video project you'd ever come across including HDTV and theatrical movies, so, take some time to figure out how much you're willing to spend and what you're going to do with it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I have some experience in Mac.

I have an old iMac, and a one year old power book. Its got 1GHz speed 1G Ram, 60GHD, Super drive. My wife got a 12" Power book with a lot of power also.

I'm a graphic artist and Mac is the best for the matter but its great for anything else, anyone can use a Mac, you should switch.

I love the Jaguar, its very strong and solid System. I imagine the Panther is even better.

If you are looking to start editing on a Mac. It come with the iMovie which is a very easy editing program.
All you need is creativity and believe me you can do miracles.

If you want to spend Cash there are few editing programs like final cut pro and few other more.

My recommendations.... Ask, talk, read, learn and buy.

Blues, Julio
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight,
It's the size of the fight in the dog!"

but its great for anything else, anyone can use a Mac, you should switch.

I've used Apple computers off and on since my Apple IIGs back in 1986, I really need to disagree with you (to a point).

Basically, they are user friendly (damn near idiot proof), but they are cost prohibative. Mainly when dealing with software and hardware upgrades. Never mind the very limited selection for both (when compared to a PC).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

U R right, there is lack of software, but atleast I dont have many problems, Usually I only use three art Programs and the rest is just fun stuff. Like my XPlane Flight simulator.

But.... yeap they are expensive as hell. I paid nearly $3,000 for mine with all the toys but no art programs. That an Extra $1,500 or so.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight,
It's the size of the fight in the dog!"

After years of faithful service I've decided my PII 300 needs to be replaced by a new PC.
However after seeing a friends brand spanking new Apple Mac I'm thinking of also getting a Mac however I have never played around with one.

I have a PC-9 which at the moment is just used as a 'Flight Recorder'. I'd like to be able to put together 5 - 10 min vids with music.
What is the lowest spec I could get away with (i.e. how much hard drive space would I need, processor speed [I know this is not related to PC processor speed so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I would need]).
I know I could do this on a PC but I'd like to get a reasonably cheap Mac to play with and then if I like it I'll go get a better one in the future. (You can never have too many machines on your home network ;)).
This is with a view to getting better at camera work over the next few years and hence getting a better Mac...

Seeing as how you're planning on getting one of each (PC and Mac) and want an inexpensive Mac to play with .... as Quade has suggested, an eMac with a DVD burner comes with everything you need to edit video and produce DVDs...Firewire ports, software and a DVD Burner. Everything produced by the same company and designed to work together.

Put as much Ram in it as possible
Buy the biggest hard drive available.....I have gone from 13 to 60 to 120gb in my Macs over the last couple of years and they just fill up when you do video. 1 hour = 12-13gb.

An eMac with DVD Burner, 1GB of ram, a copy of Final Cut Express and a 160 gb hard drive is $1598. I'd suggest getting FCE when you buy the machine as they have it available for $99 with a computer purchase. It's Apple's high end video editor pared back to work with DV material only.

Panther is a great OS. The iLife applications: iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto and iTunes are great little applications and except for iTunes ...aren't available for Windows ;)

If you have a problem on a Mac...you call Apple for help. If it's a hardware, OS or Apple application problem you can't get the runaround of "call the other guy" like you do in the PC world. One call does it all.

You won't have viruses. Thus far, there are none written for OS X.

Panther should network easily with the PC machines on your home network as long as you are running newer versions of Windows.

My prediction: You won't be sorry.

I use both varieties of computer daily and far prefer the Mac world.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not looking to swap to a Mac as my work revolves around Microsoft OS's/networks. The Mac is really something to play with if I can find the money for an extra machine.
Thanks Quade for the advice on the min. spec. I'll take alook at that.

Now, about Linux... ;)

There's only one way I feel about Apple and their products....they ROCK!!

I primarily use my Apples for "video editing & internet access," but it's not limited to just that. Right now, I have a POWERBOOK G4 and the new iMAC. I have 4 Lacie External hard drives that I use strictly for video editing. I also have the new 40GB iPOD (which is amazing), which I had to sell two previous iPODs for to get this one (cause I guess there's no sense in having 3 iPODs.....or is there? Hahaha!). But anyway...

As previously mentioned in a thread earlier, the eMAC is a great option for having alot of power in an Apple (at the same time saving yourself some bucks). I personally love the iMAC, because it's just an amazing and cool looking piece of work. Actually, everything Apple makes is like a piece of art (in my opinion).

If you're looking to edit videos on a Mac, I'd highly recommend using iMOVIE, which is great for learning how to edit on a Mac (not to mention the fact that it already comes with your Apple system)! I learned alot from using iMOVIE and it's great little program. Now, I'm using Final Cut Pro and it rocks!! Later on down the road, you might want to look into getting Final Cut Express, which is a less costly version of Final Cut Pro but very similar in capabilities.

As you can see, I'm a Mac addict and I just can't get enough of the Apples. I do understand that they are more expensive, but if you're willing to shop around and pay for it....trust me, you WILL NOT be DISAPPOINTED! Actually, 6 of my close friends (most being skydivers) just bought new Powerbook G4's and they all say the same thing...."I had no idea what I've been missing out on! I love it!"

Getting an Apple is kinda like skydiving. Yes, that first skydive is expensive (not to mention jumping all the time with your own gear) and it goes the same as Macs. Most are skeptical about it. But once you experience it for yourself, you'll understand why we love it!!!

As someone who has experience with most operating systems, I have to say I love OS X on my iMac. I have a Win2k box also and I've ran various variants of Linux, but none of them suited my taste and demands. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not bashing MS or various Linux distro's, just not my cup ole tea.

However, it depends on what you want. I won't give you the "more stable " argument, as anyone knows that 2K or earlier NT's are all very stable. Same with a properly set up Linux box.

If you do buy Apple - remember the intial cost is expensive (such like skydiving, as someone mentioned) and you'll need to relearn everything you ever knew about a computer. As for applications, there is a lot of OS X applications that can mimic your old favorite Windows applications or even better them . And if you still crave those Windows apps, well get VPC and run WIN2K emulation.

I have been a Mac user for about 15 years and LOVE um. I use an old
500mhz iMacG3 that I leave at the DZ for onsite video editing, it does not have video out so I pipe vid thru my camera to vcr, this works fine. I also use an eMac superdrive with a 80gig HD that works great for about 2.5~3 hours of vid at home or the DZ if I need DVD
capabilty which is becoming more and more popular. Like quade said
the loaded eMac is a great starting place but an older G3 iMac will get
it done too.
David

An emac will well and truely meet your needs.. Its prettymuch the exact duplicate of the imac.. only with a smaller (15 inch) screen. Its a nice machine at a very nice price!
Imovie should cover your needs but if you start getting complicated in your editing it can get a little messy. Final Cut Pro is an awesome application! And its really not that hard to get the hang of once you get into it.
If you have the money for it i reckon your better off getting an emac now instead of an older mac and then a new one cos once you start playing with that old one your gonna get a new one eventually.:P:D