fasterfaller

New lens

...The only bad thing about this lens is the weight .

and price...
the 200L 2.8 is almost as good at equivalent apperture, way lighter/smaller and a lot more affordable. It becomes very tricky to be on the move with such massive pieces of optics as this 1.8. Now, if you wana make pics of you backyard this not an issue ;)
Anyway, how often would one really need the 1.8 if you consider the quality of today's hight sensibility films (400iso). Digital camera's in that quality range are even better at hight sensibility than classic films.
Maybe less depth of focus at max apperture would be a plus sometimes ? 200 at 2.8 lives very few anyway.

btw I agree with you on the prime vs zoom bottom line, thinking of skydiving (ab)use here B|

just my thoughts :P

I have the 200/ 2.8 II and it is awesome. It is not so heavy as to be horribly unwieldy, but I wouldn't want to carry it around all day. In about a million attempts to take pictures of swoopers coming straight at me with the blurred background that only a wide aperture can provide, I have learned that those guys who get shots published in Sports Illustrated are much better at this than I am.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

I have learned that those guys who get shots published in Sports Illustrated are much better at this than I am.
Brent

Not to take away from the pro's because they are the bomb at what they do but the guys publishing in SI probably have an EOS 1V or D1 blasting away at ~9fps with AI servo on and their 300/2.8L USM IS. It's a lot easier to get a keeper if you can pay to stack the odds in your favor.

Back when I shot film I was happy to get one keeper per 2-3 rolls. With digital, it's pretty much the same (~1 per 100).

Keep on clicking. The money shot is out there waiting for you!

Gotta go... plaything needs to spank me
Feel the hate...
Photos here