iam

Sony PC105 Compatability Question

Ian, you need to let us know what it is you are trying to do..
If you are trying to watch an NTSC tape on a PAL cam etc...
And what are you trying to watch it on, you may have to have it converted....
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

whoa...can someone point me in the right direction to decipher what the difference is? What is the best bet for an all purpose around the DZ cam. (read what will I find most compatability with firewiring, comps, etc, or are they both find hardware compatible wise?). Sorry for the newbie Q's, not trying to hijack either... :S

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Maybe to make my question clearer.....

I will be in the states next month with my PC105e.

Will it playback on NTSC video recorders and TV's

Thanks

Ian
"Don't ever knock on deaths door, just ring the bell and run away - it really pisses him off"

Hi Ian,

My experience with a PC101e is that it won't playback on NTSC VCRs or TVs:(, though my experience is that European TVs and VCRs can display NTSC input signals while US TVs and VCRs do not handle PAL at all.

What I did find when I was in the US was...

I could record footage on my PC101e. Pop the DV tape into a PC101 and connect that to a US(NTSC) TV, which would display with perfectly good colour and frames per second.

If you want to transfer the footage onto NTSC VHS tapes however, then your going to need to do PAL/NTSC standards conversion. This means either using some smart(expensive) hardware, an agency, or some software(relatively cheap, but not perfect results).

Have fun in the US, where you going? Oh and don't forget the adaptor for your charger:)

I'll be in Elsinore next month and have a related question that should be of interest.

I will be doing some coached jumps and would like the instructors footage on DV - so, can I firewire footage from his NTSC Sony to my PAL PC105E? I wonder if ends up being 'recorded' in PAL or remains in NTSC format?

Cheers!

[Edit]
Answered a few days ago... See http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=701357#701357