CloudOnMyTongue

'sigh' another starter question

well it's time to buy a new camcorder, I'm into skydiving but far far far away from flying a camera.

I think that eventually that's what I want to do. I'm wondering if people could give me suggestions in avenues to look into so that maybe in a year or so I'll have a good beginner camera to start with.

From all ive seen, and speaking with lots of ppl at dropzones. The best actual choice and mine too, is a sony pc103/pc105 they are the same size as the old pc9, they have 1million pixels, and is probably the camera to put the pc101 aside for good. Between the two the diference is the pc105 take pictures(1024x728) and few more stuff. The price in us is about $900 and in europe 1000€. Its possible to get it for lower prices if you look good.
Grettings

Ber
[email protected]

:)
If you plan to play with the camera on the ground, and take it with you for "normal video taping", you'll find that the compact size will make it simple to carry and to use.... extended life batteries and mini dv tapes which can run in LP,,, (giving you 90 minutes ) will enable you to shoot as often as you like.... good luck..But check to be sure that the camera has a Lanc port,, for cam eye ll, and maybe a memory stick feature, (for grabbing still images )
.......................oh yes..... please consider yourself invited to visit us,,, across the way, in western New York.......CloudOnMyTongue......even if you have already found a "home DZ "........jmy.......

Thanxs I will definetely look into those, I was just wondering why it seems that everyone here is really into Sony's.

Is there something that sony offers that makes their cameras better? Or does it have to do with buying accesories related to skydiving?

I will definetly come across the lake and visit you jimmy, I'm five jumps away from my A license and I hope to make a road trip this winter.

As my father teachme one day... if you are looking for the best on anything start looking for the guy who invented it. And that, for mothern minidv cameras its a sony ;)
5 jumps for license A and talking about cameras? you're not seeing the forum? you will win a big kick in the ass from our fellows ;)
good jumps and good luck for your trip.

Ber
[email protected]

PS: IRC - Undernet - #skydiving

Do a site search for Sony or Sony Camcorder. I recently bought a Sony PC120BT and I really like it. It has great resolution for pictures (the camcorder is almost as small as my digital camera and takes good quality pics).

Anyways, I spent lots of time reading all the threads in this forum. The general concencus is Sony is the best... now all you have to choose is the model.

I ordered mine from digitaletailer.com. Great price but be ready for the salesman to call you and try to sell you more stuff!

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

. I was just wondering why it seems that everyone here is really into Sony's.

Is there something that sony offers that makes their cameras better? Or does it have to do with buying accessories related to skydiving?

...:)>:(:S )
With proper battery power... they are reliable.....
As for accessories,,,the package you purchase should include charger, remote, some cables,
( usually single pin output cable to rca jacks for audio/video )...
Items like lenses, step up rings, filters and the like are available..from the source of your camera.
Most of your jumping accessories,, ( helmets , boxes, indicator lights, chin cups etc..) acquired later on,,,,can be found through gear suppliers, and drop zone pro shops...

.................Yes,,, ber............ good call regarding
"5 jumps away from an A lic....... and thinking about camera"??? ........
however the initial post indicates no immediate plans to "skydive with it"....heck... no need to.B|.
Just think of all the great footage a jumper can get from the ground, during the time between jumps, landings, aircraft, dirt dives etc....
In addition if the jumper has any skydives videoed by others, it is simple to "fire- wire " the footage from the recording camera to the "ground" camera.....so as to build a personal "video log"...could be lots of fun.....

... take the time to look at a few models, up close and in person.... hold them in your hands,,,, check out the control switches the ease of use,,,etc.....Learn about all the features,,, then choose a model and a supplier for that model.........good luck.

From all ive seen, and speaking with lots of ppl at dropzones. The best actual choice and mine too, is a sony pc103/pc105

I would suggest going with the pc105 (the pc103 does not have DV in, very usefull for copying footage from other DV cameras).

The only downside (so far) I have found with the PC103 / PC105 is that Sony has changed the socket for the analogue video/audio out.
Only makes a difference if you are downloading as normally there is the 'old' style headphone jack already connected to the mixer. Not really a problem, you just have to remember to have your new style cable handy.

James

Since you're a few years away from jumping with a camera, I would suggest you not buy the camera now. It's amazing how the cost of these cameras is steadily going down over time, and the features are getting better.

It seems foolish to buy something now that you're not going to use, when you're ready to use it there'll be better stuff for cheaper. You'll get more for your money if you wait.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

From all ive seen, and speaking with lots of ppl at dropzones. The best actual choice and mine too, is a sony pc103/pc105

I would suggest going with the pc105 (the pc103 does not have DV in, very usefull for copying footage from other DV cameras).

The only downside (so far) I have found with the PC103 / PC105 is that Sony has changed the socket for the analogue video/audio out.
Only makes a difference if you are downloading as normally there is the 'old' style headphone jack already connected to the mixer. Not really a problem, you just have to remember to have your new style cable handy.

James

Is it possible to turn off the 'steady shot' feature on the PC105 ?

well I understand your suggestion but the fact of the matter is that my camcorder died, it was old but it lived a good life, and since I'm going to buy one anyways I was thinking about making it useful in the future.

As for the cameras themselves, I was wondering what the difference between the PC and TRV series is.

James

So the PC105 definately has firewire in and out?

So the PC105 definitely has firewire in and out?

Yes :)
Looking at specs on the sony.com web site for the PC105 DCRPC105.pdf it definitely says "A high speed bi-directional digital video/audio communication between two devices equipped with a IEEE1394 interface ..." and I doubt that they would make many changes between the PC105 and PC105E (except possibly PAL etc?)

James

"and I doubt that they would make many changes between the PC105 and PC105E (except possibly PAL etc?) "

I thought this frustrating issue died a couple of years ago, the 'E' does indeed stand for European models
The EEC import tax is different for cameras which only record images, and cameras which are really VCRs with a lens attached. On many early model Euro cams (eg PC7E), the firewire (and analogue) inputs were disabled in the camera operating software. .The camera internals are the same worldwide, its the firmware, and CE markings (the only sure way of knowing whether you are buying a grey import) that are different. This meant a 10-15% saving on retail price. A couple of workarounds are available to activate the firewire 'in', most involve rewriting the camera operating software by using a 'widget' which is widely available and you just plug it into the LANC port. Some cameras cannot be in enabled, PC10E for example.
Go here for further details.....
http://www.datavision.co.uk/widgetlist.asp
of commercial in enablers.....Not just Sony models eitherB|

If you want to change your Sony camcorder from PAL to NTSC or vice versa, or configure true 16:9 aspect filming, for example, Google for an Israeli guy called "Arik Drori". He published the firmware updates a long time ago....

Be warned, in many cases rewriting your cam's operating software may void any warranty.

If you are unsure about any of this, ask here, or PM me, I've in enabled a few cams in my time, with no complaints.

Cutting a long story short many EEC cams did not give 'bi-directional' firewire, but its not the end of the world....we can fix it:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson