noods

Stills from video??

Is anyone taking stills from video footage (via premiere or the like) and if so is the quality good enough for customers (if printed out on photo printer with decent paper)??

I've been looking at buying a PC105 and wonder if this would be suitable. I mostly shoot tandem and fun jump video and was hoping to increase the revenue from tandem vids by offering stills shots from the video footage (can't afford a stills camera as well as a new 105 or 101).

I can't find anything that relates to this when searching the forum so any help would be much appreciated:)Ed

Your video footage is only made up of 720 x 576 pixels (pal) or 720 x 480 (ntsc) so that's all the information you have. I haven't tried printing stills off but I don't think they'd look very good. Try it and see!

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

You can print photos to the memory stick from the video while paused.

That's an escape hatch when you have a stills camera malfunction on a Stills and Video jump (I haven't had to do this yet, but I've seen it done)

For small print sizes its marginally OK.

I do it all of the time. Its definately not the best route to go. Here is a link to some of the pictures that I have taken off of video. They are not the best quality, but for a web page, you get the idea. http://www.skydivegreensburg.com/0703experience.htm Feel free to post any comments. Note that a few of those 9 way hybrid pictures are actually scanned in.

I don't offer it, but we had a couple come out to do tandems for their anniversary, and only one person shooting 35 mm. I have a pc120, and you can grab still when you pause the video footage. We explained it all to them and told them the quality is really only good enough for a 5x7, nothing larger. They were fine with that so I went ahead and took about 20 stills from the video footage. They guy with the 35mm camera, well, he never got clost enough to his tandem to get any still anyway, so all he has is a doorshot i took from the video. Oh well. Here are a couple of the stills we took from the video.
So then I mailed them a CD with the jpg's on it, and they were like "How do we get photos from this?"... bwwahahaa

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

Stills from video are pretty bad (well, they suck really), but remember that a bad quality photo of something important is better than no photo of the same event.

For instance, anybody remember what the video looked like of Neil Armstrong setting foot on the Moon looked like?

Well, a tandem jump might not quite rise to that level of importance to you or me, but . . .
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I've had to resort to using stills from the video a couple of times. Once because my batteries died and once because the student said I never gave him the film. Oh well. I've yet to hear a complaint from either passenger.

I've printed a couple of 8 x 10's from the video on my home computer and it's pretty grainy.
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

I still grab off all the tandem video using Pinnacle 8, and stick them on the end of the customers video. (Were a small DZ an I edit the video at home,, ) If they want a copy of the stills I let them know they dont enlarge well at all past 5x7, but the CD disc they get for $10 will make a cool screen saver or slide show on there PC at home or work. Another lady wanted them just to make some Christmas cards with. So I guess until I get a new neck and bigger budget it'll have to do!

Natural Born FlyerZ.com