jedeisurf

camera suits you can sit fly in

I can sit in mine.... It's basically a freefly suit with big camera wings. In a sit the wings effectively cup air. It gives me a great range... I can slow it down to RW speeds in a sit if I want to, depenending on how much wing I use.

I got mine from Merlin - http://www.merlinsuits.com/

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I've got a Tony camera suit with a "D" wing, I can fly it on my belly, knees, sit, and back.

I almost figured out how to back fly it with LouDiamond in his Birdman suit, but we need more jumps for that fiasco.

If you are going to fly tandems in a dedicated sit, you might get a dedicated sit wing suit that has basically two wings that inflate as pockets. We've got a 60-something year old camera flier at my DZ who has one, and only films in a sit from below.

Just an example of a tandem issue I had last week: MeatBombs.

Tandem master weighs 240, student weighs every bit of that, both are stocky. Equipment is at gross vehicle weight. In droguefall they were doing 138. I video on my belly, and I had everything in. The other camera fliers would have had to do it in a stand, cause the rest of our crew all weigh less than 140. So, if I had a freefly style camera suit, I would not have been able to do it on my belly.

I think the purpose of the big wing is to give you range. So if the suit is tight, you can accelerate very rapidly when needed. You can keep the wings in to go fast. The wing is there to give you drag and lift. I've never flown a baggy wing suit, but I think it would slow down tracking up the hill at a tandem a little, and would slow down your overall fall rate, and sometimes you want to fall like a greased safe.

I'm a floaty guy (6'3" 175 pounds) and I've got down to a tandem clocked at 141 on their belly. I was even wearing my freefly camera suit. Granted, my back hurt bad the next day from that arching, and my flying was exteremly limited due to the slight movements I could do... but anything is possible when $ is on the line :ph34r:

I'd recommend getting the right tools for the job, I'll film the next tandem like that in my RW suit since Its a lot easier to do 140 in that then my freefly suit, or I'll fly the skydive in a sit the whole time instead of on my belly. I've finally got the right tools to go play with almost any type of fall rate. Jumping in just a wing top and shorts totally rocks on hot summer days, and for those 110 mph tandems I've got more then enough drag with a wing and freefly pants. Like someone said on here... its nice to have a wide assortment of options every jump. :)
I do have an issue with my Firefly camera top though. Depending on how I flip into a sit some times the wings don't inflate infront of my arms and instead don't do anything. I rapidly fall way from the group/tandem in this config and have to flap my arms until the wing catches air and inflates again. I'm thinking its how I fly my body since no one else ever seems to have that issue.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I jump a large wing FireFly Camera Suit... easy to sit in... have done some shots from under a 4-way and moved to a position above the 4-way still in a sit... great range.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Depending on how I flip into a sit some times the wings don't inflate infront of my arms and instead don't do anything.

Phree, I found that on my suit, wing inflation when transitioning was strongly affected by where my swoop cords were located. I'm having much better luck with the cords hand-loop sized and keeping the cords on the outer part of my hand-wrist-arm. When I had them on my thumbs I couldn't control the wing as well.

And, yeah, my back was aching like a mother after the arch I had to put on for that fast tandem!