lintilla327

setup for Nikon 5000?

I am about to buy the Nikon 5000, as I reckon it is the best balance between price and quality for myself. Maybe when I strike rich I'll get a D10!

In the meantime, anyone who has a setup with this camera, what components do I need?
I have been looking at harbortronics. Is it the DigiSnap 2000, with a serial cable?
Where should I get a bite switch? Do they do them?
What about mounts?

As a general aside, someone mentioned that the camera was great for skydiving, but not so great for general use. Is this true? I originally wanted to get an Olympus 5050, but can find no way to set up a remote switch. :(

Thanks for any help!
--so long and thanks for all the fish....

Just got myself a Coolpic 5000. I have had a lot of help from Mark at Harbortronics and Ed from Conceptus to get a proper switch. They have been collaborating together and have come up with new tongue switch specifically for the Digisnap 5000 to go with the Coolpic 5000. I am waiting for the switch now. You can contact Ed at Conceptus about it [email protected]. (web site www.conceptusinc.com) He has gone well out of his way to help me out with this situation. A great guy!! Haven't had a chance to jump with the camera yet but am getting some great shots from the ground. It prints out beautiful crisp 8X10's. !!

Since both my mother and father were born in Ireland, I'll stick my two farthings in. I always found it best to hand bracket a still camera, and actually look through the viewfinder to frame your shots. You can fly your head up, by using your elbows , especially if you can add a bit of material to your jumpsuit in that area. Try it a couple of times, you can get used to it real quick, and you will always know exactly where your camera is viewing. Under canopy,you can then hold your camera vertical for a shot of others also under canopy. Good luck, me Irish friend.B.Cole D-41 Canada

I prefer the DigiSnap over the more basic shutter-release only Digi5000. The DigiSnap solders to a 2.5mm plug (so you can use off-the-shelf tongue/bite switches), and an LED for feedback when it is ready/shooting.

As far as mounts, the strobos that most everyone uses for 35mm film cameras work just fine. They make it a bit easier to change batteries. If you're not working it real hard, a single battery will last all day, and the film can be changed with the camera still bolted down.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

It depends on the resolution you use and the size of your memory card.

If I were starting fresh, I'd spend a few extra $$$ for the 1GB CF card. It'll let you shoot all day at fine/compressed.

- Cajones

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.