thefreak

hand mount

Since you are in Tennessee and I am in Canada, it will be tough to mail you a hand mount in time for the weekend.
Fortunately, Beezy Shaw at Precision has a hand mount that I sewed for his PC101. Try calling Beezy at the factory and ask if he will loan it out.

Beezy Shaw just sent me some video footage that he took at Tullahoma, Tennessee.
Beezy stuffed his SONY IP5 into a wrist-mount that I sewed for him.
The footage is awesome!
Great coverage of the tandem students' faces all the way from exit to landing!
My whuffo girlfriend even said she would pay extra for wrist-mounted video because she thinks it is a better product!

Might go well here too.

I got to see some vid's from Beezy and was very impressed with the extra footage. Shots missed by a traditional camera guy such as the 'up close' exit and canopy ride only enhanced the students video. It was great to see and hear the tandem student under canopy. I think a mix of the two dubbed together would be the ultimate tandem video.

Only problem is spending the extra time to do the mixing. Videographer already are not paid enough, so taking the extra time to do it would not be worth it to me, unless it was my gf maybe. I do all my shooting with fades and wipes in camera so all I have to do is add music and titles as I'm dumping it to VHS for the client.

~Chachi

sorry to hijack..but if a small wrist mount camera was to be used.. (bout the size of an alti) would there be still the BPA 200 jump restriction on it (scratches head)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sorry, but no-one outside the UK understands BPA policy.

The mount that I built for Beezy secures the camera to the back side of his left hand, leaving his fingers and palms free to grab toggles, etc.

The Australian Parachute Federation has published guidelines that limit the use of hand-mounted cameras to instructors who have made more than 500 tandem jumps.
No-one has published standards about solo jumpers strapping cameras to their wrists.

I just started using miniature cylinder cameras (referred to as bullet or lip stick cams) that use a sony 1/3" SUPER HAD CCD from a company called KT&C (KT&C.co.kr) that i got with a 2.45mm lens with a 150 deg horizontal angle of view, color w/ 420 lines of horizontal resolution. there very easy to mount any were you want and I'm using a mini-DV camcorder in a fanny pack as the record deck. the view is about as wide as you can get (150 DEG) and the video looks every bit as good as video shot with the camcorder that is the record deck. now i don't need the bulky belly cam,shoe cam,glove mounts that scared allot of people (except me because i was the one wearing them all of the time). i attached it (camera head) to a glove with some elastic tape. this style of camera and some of the flat models that KT&C sells allow an almost unlimited number of mounting locations limited only by your imagination. and much safer than mounting a full size camcorder on your hand,foot or canopy.

The model # I'm using is KCP-S230C

I just started using miniature cylinder cameras (referred to as bullet or lip stick cams) that use a sony 1/3" SUPER HAD CCD from a company called KT&C (KT&C.co.kr) that i got with a 2.45mm lens with a 150 deg horizontal angle of view, color w/ 420 lines of horizontal resolution. there very easy to mount any were you want and I'm using a mini-DV camcorder in a fanny pack as the record deck. the view is about as wide as you can get (150 DEG) and the video looks every bit as good as video shot with the camcorder that is the record deck. now i don't need the bulky belly cam,shoe cam,glove mounts that scared allot of people (except me because i was the one wearing them all of the time). i attached it (camera head) to a glove with some elastic tape. this style of camera and some of the flat models that KT&C sells allow an almost unlimited number of mounting locations limited only by your imagination. and much safer than mounting a full size camcorder on your hand,foot or canopy.

The model # I'm using is KCP-S230C

Good point Slayer.
I just have not figured out where to hang a fanny pack on a tandem master who is stuffed into a cramped Cessna.

"and much safer than mounting a full size camcorder on your hand,foot or canopy."

I want to repeat that tandem instructors are only strapping the latest and tiniest Mini DV and Micro DV cameras to their hands. If a camera weights much more than a pound, forget it!
Preferred models are SONY's IP5, IP7, PC9, PC 101, PC105, etc. I am currently sewing a wrist mount for a SONY DCR TRV 22.
JVC, SAMSUNG, etc also make some camcorders that are tiny enough for wrist mounts.

Sky Monkey One, Paul Rafferty and the other Raefordites will be pleased to hear that I sent a sample hand-mount to the Golden Knights Tandem Section and they have promised to share it with curious skydivers.
The sample hand-mount is sized for a SONY PC 9,
Altimaster III and a medium-large hand.

A guy PMed me asking about building a hand-mount for a SONY DRC-TRV38.
Sorry dude, but I am struggling to figure out how to strap a 6 3/8 inch deep camera to a hand that is only 4 inches deep without increasing the overhang and risk of entanglement.
Do you folks have any thoughts?