pop

Deployment

A side-mount shouldn't stick out so much that it's a huge issue. A d-box can give lots of protection, but you sacrifice accessibility. The new recessed side-mount helmets are the best thing since the audible for simple camera setups (SkyPimp, FF2, etc.). Clean, with little/no snag points, with very small profiles.

You can put your chin down on your chest and deploy, or turn your head so your camera is out of the way.

I've had some riser slap during nasty/off-heading openings. Perfect body position isn't always possible. Especially after shooting on your back for a tandem opening, rolling over and deploying quickly to save precious altitude. Good packing habits are always possible.

- Cajones

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

Mine are no different. I jump a Spectre, though, so my openings are pretty routine.

There are no riser slap markings on my D-box in about 300 camera jumps.

Toss, boxman, snatch, check, stow, release, land, pack, repeat.

Is a chin strap sufficient enough to hold the helmet in place without losing it. I have not yet invested into a chin cup yet and am wondering if I can jump the camera with just a strap for the time being
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

A chin strap is "sufficient."

I prefer a chin cup for a sidemount because it adds stability, gives some protection (actually a requirement because of the protection in some competitions), and gives a much better platform to integrate a cutaway system.

If you add a chincup, build yourself a cutaway system, and remove the chinstrap (no need to have two retention systems).

- Cajones

Well, I have both the chinstrap and the cup. The cup makes a big difference in the shakiness of the video.

I've whacked the ratchet on exits twice and had the cup come off on one side. I have a two stage release procedure to dump my helmet. Ratchet, chinstrap. It is more dangerous than a one stage dump.

With a sidemount the weight isn't a huge factor, but if you start mounting other crazy things on your head, don't watch your canopy open. I always try to look at the horizon, especially when I have my still on my head because if you tilt your head back to watch your opening and all of a sudden your canopy slams open, OUCH! If you are looking at the horizon, all the weight of the helmet is pressing down instead of slamming your neck in one direction or the other.

don't watch your canopy open. I always try to look at the horizon, especially when I have my still on my head because if you tilt your head back to watch your opening and all of a sudden your canopy slams open, OUCH! If you are looking at the horizon, all the weight of the helmet is pressing down instead of slamming your neck in one direction or the other.

I definately agree with this example. I am still only using a side mount, but have gotten in the habit of not looking up right away. After, a bit you will be able to tell by feel if you are going to have line twist or even some smacking effect. The tricky part is to start kicking in the right direction before looking up to find exactly which way you are twisted.

how many cameraflyers have back problems, like compressed vertebrae, due to additional weight on their head, which only increases with the g-forces involved during the opening???
i had a fast opening on my Ace 100 with a camera on this Sunday and could feel how hard it was for my muscles...

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

I came across a technique to soften or brace your neck from possible hard openings. What I do is right after I pitch the PC, I put my hands together like I was praying, except my thumbs are upright. edit begin And brace my face between my index finger and thumb edit end. This is suppose to prevent my head from getting thrown forward thus stretching my neck beyond normal.

Anyone else heard of this technique?

I sometimes grab my chinbar on opening when I'm carrying more than one camera. Keeping my arms close to my chest, not really out like I see people praying (since I don't do that sort of thing).

- Cajones

Tom Sanders just hunches his shoulders up towards his ears. Tom also likes to surf a lot, so he has massive shoulders.
When building camera helmets, Tom starts with full-sized motorcycle helmets, so they are pretty bulky around the ears.
Also Tom prefers Dacron lines for their softer openings.
Tom has been jumping heavy camera helmets for decade, so he must be doing something right.