quade

4-way Camera Flyer Knowledge

How well do you know what you're looking at?

Well...if the team you're filming refers to what they're about to practice, by number and letter, doesn't it make sense to know what they're talking about?

Or...you can just carry along a cheat sheet....;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Dang, Q, I finally get steep and close and now you want me to know it's a meeker, doughnut, stairstep, diamond, weedwhacker?

Heck, even when I'm in one I just memorize the color of the grips in order. If I was ever on a team where we had matching grips, I'd be hosed.B|

And thanks again. I owe you dinner without my kids on the floor;).

JP

I used to know what they were, cos I used to do it.
Now all I need to know is which ones float, which ones are fast, and which ones stretch out, or are likley to cause a little separation.....Then I can change my position accordioningly.:)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

How well do you know what you're looking at?

I know a lot of the blocks, and random's. Some by name some by letter or #, just from hearing teams talk about it before hand. But I know the Exits I like, and the ones I dont like. And any random is great. Also I know what the block is going to do ahead of time, sometimes it takes a page but after that I am anticipating it. 4way video is a challenge, but it is also very exciting. Just like the team, you have good jumps and bad one's. But nothing compares to when your at a competition and your team has a great jump, and your on top of it and rock it.
I know you know, but this is for the beginners.
There is 2 kinds of exits: the long ones and the tight ones. Same as blocks. But that is just from an otter ect, from a tailgate they all exit the same. The cool thing is most beginner teams just exit meeker's.
Quade, I have a Dvd im 90% complete with, I would like to send to you for your opinion and maybe if there is something you might want to offer. Its a competition 4way videographer guide. Ive been playing with it for about a year and Im still not completely satisfied with it. I have a pretty strong opinion on how 4way should be shot, but I also remember how I learned and the steps it took, so I have covered all styles. Leading, same time as, and peeling, even the semi peel. Pm me and I will burn you a copy. A rough version for now.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Dang, Q, I finally get steep and close and now you want me to know it's a meeker, doughnut, stairstep, diamond, weedwhacker?

Well, uh, yes.

I think it speaks toward professionalism.

Just to be perfectly honest, I only know all of the randoms by letter and only know some of the blocks by number, but I know all of them by name.

I can -usually- give a pretty accurate accounting of the score, but I leave that up to the team captain/coach unless specifically asked for an opinion.

I can usually see the results of an issue in turning the blocks (the cat piece in the tee > can tee ended up translating backward), but I'm usually only right about 1/2 the time about the actual cause, so I definately try to keep my mouth shut about the coaching issues. Coaches sometimes do ask for my opinion of what I saw though -- more as a witness rather than anything else.

BTW, weedwhacker isn't a 4-way formation, it's a part of a larger-way formation. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

BTW, weedwhacker isn't a 4-way formation, it's a part of a larger-way formation.

D'oh!

I'm not there yet. I am doing a lot of bigger-way stuff (8 to 12, not 80 to 120) and I dirt dive to see how fast the transitions will fall. A nine way that rotates three pieces really drops when the pieces break and rotate. So I go out and work on staying proximate, but I have noticed that I'm so focused on framing, that sometimes I miss what's going on and "see" it for the first time on the video.

Like I've said, I'm envious of the amount of 4 way teams in SoCal and Fla. I look forward to having my camera suit flying get so instinctive that I can focus on counting points.

Damn. You guys are good!

BTW, weedwhacker isn't a 4-way formation, it's a part of a larger-way formation.

D'oh!

!

I'm not there yet. I am doing a lot of bigger-way stuff (8 to 12, not 80 to 120) and I dirt dive to see how fast the transitions will fall. A nine way that rotates three pieces really drops when the pieces break and rotate. So I go out and work on staying proximate, but I have noticed that I'm so focused on framing, that sometimes I miss what's going on and "see" it for the first time on the video.

Like I've said, I'm envious of the amount of 4 way teams in SoCal and Fla. I look forward to having my camera suit flying get so instinctive that I can focus on counting points.

Damn. You guys are good!

One point, if you shoot 4way, go for the competition 4way suit. A lot of people shoot 4way with flip flop suits, but nothing performs like a suit made for 4way video. Huge wings to ride the worst burble you can find, and booties to get you where you want to be faster. This week my 4way suit was getting fixed so I broke out my tandem suit. No comparison

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!