Cookie

New Sony camera???

Thanks for the link Stu, hmmmm, "one click to dvd" sounds like its that rotten compression system we saw on the microMV cameras. If so I would be wary of these. It means you can't firewire digital footage between these and 'regular' dvcams. I may be wrong, I've been wrong before, but I'd hold off on the excitement till we see some tests, ar get to play with one in a store.
True 16:9 sounds very nice though.B|

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

The one-click to DVD is probably using the MPEG CODEC on the Vaio computers. The one-click program automatically compresses the target video and burns it to a DVD/SVCD. I doubt Sony embedded the hardware MPEG encoding chip in these miniDV cameras.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

I use imovie and use some transitions from the camera PC 101 great results, I have not try yet Premier but I heard is great. I'm trying to do a 3-5 min presentations for When I do tamdems and plug the Tamdem videoon it. right now just gathering some experience.
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

I am aware of at least one place that can do that, and has had it for a while... nothing to do with the new cameras though.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

wonder if anyone will have the resources to burn a dvd on site now. imagine shooting a video, real time editing with special effect or whatever and burning a dvd right then and there. sounds pretty cool. expensive but cool.

How long is the standard tandem video? I've never done one, nor have I even done a tandem. 3-5 minutes maybe?

Why not just burn on-site to SVCD for a nominal fee? Way cheaper on materials as well as hardware.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

3-5 minutes maybe?

more like 10-12 min, at least where I've done them... not including the little promo vid at the begining.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

ok, that's a bit larger chunk of time.
Still, are there any valid arguements against SVCD?
I'm thinking about setting up my laptop for that, and a cd burner is practically standard now. A DVD burner would be extrenal and quite a bit more costly.

I know my options are limited on the SVCD in comparison to DVD, but both have pretty much equal compatibility issues on home DVD players.
It's your life, live it!

A DVD burner would be external and quite a bit more costly.

Jim, The Apple Powerbooks have internal DVD burner equipped models....starting at $1,999 I believe. I believe Sony also has a DVD burning laptop. So, the hardware is available, but there are lots of other issues to deal with....time rendering and burning is quite lengthy. I think that as VHS disappears and the hardware/software for DVD production improves that DVD burning will become the standard..but not for a while.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I'm sorry I inferred that in general. I meant costly for me. I already have an internal CD/RW, so SVCD seems to be the logical step.

Then there's the cost of media. Blank CD-R's vs. blank DVD-R's. Ouch. Not to mention the wasted space.

Heres a hypothetical:
If you were to offer the videos on DVD would you stand behind them saying they would work on the customer's home DVD player? If you do, and the disk doesn't work, it's a costly pocketbook bite. The same warranty on an SVCD would have little or no impact on the pocketbook in case of a return. No warranty on either + one bum disk could mean the loss of a wide customer base.

So many options.
It's your life, live it!

If you buy in bulk, there is only a $.50 difference between CD-R's and DVD-R's... the prudent concession owner would do research and know what brands of DVD players were not compatible with their product.

Josh

Wow! The price of media has dropped that fast? Well, that's my turning point. DVD burner, here I come! SVCD seemd logical when the price gap was large, but now, wow, DVD is where it's at!
It's your life, live it!

You know their is nothing wrong with SVCD....
the quality is WAY better than VHS and the differences between that and DVD will not be noticeable with hardware most people will be playing it on.....
now this will change with in the next year or 2 but so will the prices on the equiptment we will have to use...
Their is such a thing as overkill and i think trying to produce "DVD quality" DVD's is a prime example of that right now.....
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE