JayhawkJumper

Still Tongue switch setup

I just mounted my still on top of my helmet with a stroboframe and I'm getting ready to install the tongue switch and I wanted to get some opinions on something. I have a rebel G and the tongue switch has the plug in it already. Should I drill a big hole next to the stroboframe and put the whole plug through it or cut the wire in half and drill a small hole and then re-wire it inside the helmet? I'd rather not cut the wire, but I don't want to drill a huge hole in the top of the helmet either.

Also, I was going to just use a thumb screw at first to mount the still, but one of my friends said he lost a still camera b/c he just used a thumb screw. So I decided to use the stroboframe, but really, its still only held on there by a thumb screw, so why do people use the stroboframe, b/c its only held on by the screw and it would be almost as quick to mount it flush w/ a thumb screw and make the camera a little lower too.

The switch WILL fail at some point and need replacement -- maybe at a moments notice.

For that reason, I would suggest having it set up in such a way that you can replace it. For my helmet, that means gaff tape.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The switch WILL fail at some point and need replacement -- maybe at a moments notice.

This is a problem that has plagued freefall photographers for years.... why is it that the switches fail so often when modified???

I am using my NIKON shutter release cable soldered to a Radio Shack switch that is then encased in hot glue for biting into.
I have used this for quite some time and cannot figure out why my switch is not failing as often as many (almost all others) do fail.

I know that the switch is not designed to be subjected to saliva and such, but I consistantly wipe the switch clean after every jump. Could this be the reason for it lasting much longer than my friends?

SG

Hi

this is my first reply here ;-)

I use a Nikon 2002 (F301 in germany) that has a simple on/off switch as remote release. I trigger this switch with a blow-in switch which is connected with a small 20 cm long pvc tube (motocycle fuel tube) to my mouth.

You can generate with a strong blow about 50-60 mbar pressure that is used by a membrane inside the switch to close the electrical circuit.

Inside the tube there is some saliva collected but under canopy the tube can be emptied easily.

The only drawback is the opening shock: often the air in my lungs is pressed out and 1.2 photos are triggered.

When you want mre information about this setup, please write me.

Our season is starting right now - Blue Skies!
Stefan